Do I have RSI?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by IntelligenceQ, Apr 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. IntelligenceQ

IntelligenceQ New Member

Hi, I'm a huge badminton fan and I absolutely love to play badminton. I've been playing a lot of badminton since last year (about 2 - 3 times a week, 1 - 2 hours each). Currently I am having badminton at school so I play even more, about 3 - 5 times a week.

Since last week, I've noticed when I twist my right hand (My racket hand) it makes a small cracking noise in my wrist. Also I've had a little bit of pain when I grip hard or lift something up. I've heard about RSI before, but I've never had it, and I'm a little afraid because I might have it.

I'm not entirely sure if it's because of badminton, but I think that is the main reason. I play piano a lot, use my laptop a lot, but I don't use my phone (because I don't have one). Can badminton be a cause of RSI? If so, should I stop playing for a while? Please help me and thank you.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Probably...

But as long as it doesn't hurt when playing, then you're fine. If you have a coach, make sure you ask him about it and to check that your technique is correct.

3. IntelligenceQ

IntelligenceQ New Member

Thank you for your reply. It doesn't hurt when I play badminton, but it usually hurts after I play it. I use my wrist lots in flick serves, lift shots, and backhand drives/clears. I don't have a badminton coach because the place I live in is quite small, but I look at a channel called Coaching Badminton on Youtube and practise from that.

4. beefbuns

beefbuns Regular Member

I wouldn't worry about the cracking noise. I used to get that in my ankle from the ages of 15-20 and then it just went away. I also have it in my wrist, but as long as there's no pain relief after the crack it should be ok. (But I'm no doctor!) Are you warming up correctly before practice? I spend 10mins stretching all my muscles from bottom to top then do a quick jog.