Maintenance/adjustment for clamp bases

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by emjay, Apr 23, 2015.

1. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    I picked up a 2nd hand machine recently and have been cleaning it up, but have a slight issues with the clamp bases. One of them doesn't slide smoothly along the track, but sticks sometimes. I've done the normal adjustment with the allen key through the side hole, but if I make it loose enough for it to slide properly, the lever doesn't lock into position.

Is there any guide for taking bases apart and putting them back together? I have done one side which seems to work better now, but the lever has more play that it used to. Also when reattaching the base to the track, is there a "proper" way of doing it? Is it best to tighten the retaining nut with the lever locked or unlocked? How tight should it be?

The machine is a Pro's Pro Challenger 6 BTW. I'd never heard of that model till recently but it's not bad considering it was cheap!

11158012_10153205918805729_1786054583_n.jpg

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Firstly, you can clean and lubricate the tops of the tracks because the locking friction all happens underneath.

If you want to take the bases apart, do the following:

1. Pop the black "open/lock" disc out of the top
    2. Remove the bolt from underneath, remove the brake block, and take the black "cone" out
    3. Tip the base up so that the cam follower and brass brake pad fall out of the smaller hole, in that order.

It's not that difficult, really. And it seems you've already done it;).

While you've got it apart, you might want to take the adjuster screw out and put some Loctite on it - this way, your calibration will hold for longer. You can also lubricate the outside of the brass brake pad so it slides in and out easier, and clean and lubricate the bottom surface of the base (which you can't normally get at with the track in the way), and clean the mating surfaces of the tracks and brake blocks.

To put it back on, put the lever in the locked position before tightening the bolt - literally as tight as you can get it - then unlock it; you should be in the ballpark; the lever should end be bang in the middle of the disc when it's locked.

3. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    Thanks for that :)

I have done most of that but didn't get as far as removing all the parts from the base. Have also been cleaning as I go but will have another go with some alcohol wipes later. Loctite seems like the next logical step, will pick some up, cheers!