Part 3: Fast drop vs. slow drop in SINGLES?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by viper_mav, Apr 30, 2004.

1. viper_mav

viper_mav Regular Member

How many good singles players out there use fast drops versus slow & tight drops on their overhand in singles? Specifically:

1) Under what conditions is it more advantageous to use fast drops?

2) Under what conditions is it more advantageous to use slower/tighter drops?

3) If the opponent is in the proper position to defend and he/she is balanced, and you are taking the shuttle deep in your rear court (ie. at the back rectangular box), what is the preferred drop shot?

4) Finally, do any singles players out there hit overhand drops to the centre of the net? If so, what type of a drop are you hitting and why are you executing such a drop?

2. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    i think in all the cases, fast drops will be used. because a fast drop will ensure that the shuttle will travel further from the net, making it harder for the opponet to do a tight net shot.

a slow drop may give you more time but then in international singles, if you do one that is slow and near to the net, opponent will do a tumble shot and you're as good as dead..

In singles, nobody drops to the centre coz the very general aim of the player is always to hit away from the opponent. making him move out of his base. an extreme example is to hit a mid- court weak lift to the opponet. He'll have a lot of time to decide how to kill u!

well. i may be wrong.. it's just some of my thinking...

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    1. When you are in control/opponent is out of posistion
    2.For variation or when you need time (but risky, as easy for tight net reply)
    3.Standard drop (slow one would put you on back foot, fast one may not give you time to recover) probably do a clear though, and wait for a weaker one.
    4.Not purposley! :D

4. viper_mav

viper_mav Regular Member

What are your thoughts on this topic, Cheung, Neil, Mag, and DLP?

5. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

when im caught out of position.. ill do a overhead fast drop.. very risky but i prefer it this way and fast crab back.. this is my counter when im caught.

6. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Well, I don't consider myself that good a singles player. Just enthusiastic.

In general, I think I use slower drops when I am on the defensive, faster drops when I am in a position to attack.

3) and 4) it depends
    If my opponent is good around the net and gets the better of me at the net, I'll play less drops. And the ones I do play will probably be fast drops.

If I'm having a bad day with my drops (I sometimes over-slice), I'll play some nearer the centre to get my rhythm back.

If my opponent makes a lot of mistakes at the net, there's less need to play drops to the sides.

and any number of other variables...

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    1 and 2 - use fast drops more often. Like people say, don't give the other player a chance to play tight net shot.

3. Probably play a clear under those circumstances!

4. Occasionally, yes. Sometimes because my aim is so bad. :eek: Other times, I'm testing out the opponents quality of replies in receiving the shuttle in a different area of the court.

8. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    By fast drops I think we are really talking slice or cut drops . I think at higher levels you will see most drops played with slice: straight and crosscourt normal or reverse slice drops. This allows the shuttle to be struck harder but the spin will mean the shuttle travels quickly but still lands at the service line or closer. In addition deception on choice of shot is added by using slice at the last moment.

Slow drops or "stop" drops are generally used when the rally has developed and the defender has often layed a weaker lift and expects a smash. Camilla Martin often used to play this from round the head, moving back quickly as if to smash but then playing a very soft straight drop.

You wouldn't see many top level men play a basic slow drop off the high service for instance since the server will move and take the shuttle very early and the receiver will be taking the shuttle late.

When taking the shuttle late in the back corners you will mostly see a very fast flat sliced drop hit straight or crosscourt, again the option of playing the slower drop is not usually there since by the time the shuttle had reached the net the opponent would be there.

At lower levels playing more slow drops may be a good tactic, even frequently off the high serve since any shot which moves the player to the extreme front or back of the court is likely to force a weak/late reply or even an error since at lower levels court coverage is so much poorer, and likewise fitness levels. In addition for lower level players the basic stop drop is a relatively easy skill since the shuttle does not have to pass very close to the tape.

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

A fast drop doesn't *have* to be played with slice, although this is the more common method. Slicing has the twin advantages of a quicker journey to the net and deception. Also slice can be used to produce slow drops.

10. viper_mav

viper_mav Regular Member

Agreed. I think a steep and tight drop that lands closer to the net is more effective than one that lands further from the net if the opponent hits a weak reply.

viper_mav

11. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

Math teacher and coach at Univesity of Montreal
    Fast, slow, which one to choose?

Slow drops would be used if only:

a) the opponent is slow comparing to you;
    b) you are in a good stance not too close of the back court;
    c) you have confidence is this shot (highly risk);
    d) you need to vary the pace of a rally with a) b) c) valid.

In other circumstances, you play a fast drop, sliced (which is good for deception) or hit plain.