Yonex Mavis 500

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by pentium4, Apr 30, 2004.

1. pentium4

pentium4 Regular Member

Student
    Since i live in Canada it costs a shitload to buy feather birds, therefore i use
    Yonex Mavis Nylon birds. I've tried using the 300 and 350 and 370 but i never have heard of the Mavis 500. I just realized it existed after seeing the 2004 cat. Has it been around for awhile? Does anybody use it? How would you rate it? Price? Where to buy? Thanx

[​IMG]

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    slightly more durable slightly more slower slightly more heavier than mavis300.
    more expensive tho.

3. Jaywalk

Jaywalk Regular Member

I had the M 500 and tried it out with my friend. However my frenz prefer using the M 300!

4. Traum

Traum Regular Member

If you're concerned about the cost of nylon shuttles, you might wanna give Black Knight's Control 2000 a try. They are extremely durable as their skirts just refuses to rip. Straight from the tube, they are a tad heavier than Mavis 300, but once you remove 1 of the 3 speed control strips from the cork, they weight and fly approximately the same.

-Rick

5. vincenterika

vincenterika Regular Member

Roamer
    Also cann't find Mavis 500 in HK...the highest is Mavis 370...

6. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I think TW also doesn't have it ,too.

Is it a Yonex-Japan item?? There are tons of stuff only available in Japan from Yonex....

7. Lio_d

Lio_d Regular Member

Computer scientist, student in actuary
    no it isn't! some years ago in belgium (that's where i live ;)), the mavis 500 shuttles where the official shuttles for tournaments (for the lower levels). now it's the mavis 300... i don't play with nylon shuttles anymore, but the 500 are a little bit slower, maybe is it better for beginners to play with 300, but when you have a higher level of play it depends on your preferences!
    when you have a good smash with feathers, then with 300 it will be huge smashes! some players smash then too much instead of using their skills, so that's the good point of using 500 sometimes.
    500 are nice if feathers become really too expensive, I think there is no other good reason to replace feathers by nylon ;)

8. hongxu

hongxu New Member

I live in Irvine, Californina. The few stores in this area I checked only carry Mavis 300. Does anybody know a local store here that carries Mavis 500?

Thanks!

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i dun think it's popular. People moving up from mavis 300 usually move to feather all the way without stopping at mavis 350, 370 or 500:D

10. asiaexpat

asiaexpat Regular Member

i just bought a mavis 350 here in thailand-will test using it for the first time today. first time for nylon

11. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

I hope it doesn't put you off plastics for life. I find the 350's completely unplayable, but should be good for people with weak arms. Irrespective of Yonex's marketing, the 300 is closer to feathers (though I am not saying it is close) than other Yonex plastics I have tried.

12. asiaexpat

asiaexpat Regular Member

so the 300 is slower? We used the plastic as a warmup shuttle--i see nothing wrong with it-goes faster than the feathers--i think

13. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    well there is nothing wrong with a brid that goes faster like 350
    just that when u see your normal opponents start smashings at 300km/h
    u'll start to wonder if they'r on drug or smthing
    its actually not bad for defensing practise.. once u go back to the feather
    u'll see ppl's smashes in slow motion..but then again.. so will yr clear
    become half court giveaways

14. asiaexpat

asiaexpat Regular Member

I am confused--which is slower 300 or 350??

15. chessymonkey

comp tech
    300 is slower then 350
    300 is the one with flat skirt
    350 has those pointy tail

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

my advice: dont bother with 350 and 370, they degrade too fast, defeat the purpose of playing plastic. A beat up feather will fly better than a used 350/370.

17. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

From my experience, the skirt on the 300 tore a lot easier than 370. But the trouble with 370 was that the slightest move from anyone and off goes the shuttle to the next court. It was practically impossible to have a rally with that shuttle. Along with the BG68Ti string, the 370 is the other Yonex product that I immediately associate with the word 'idiot' when I think about it. It makes no grammatical sense. But there you have it.

Playing with plastics can be funny sometimes. A few weeks ago, I was playing a doubles using the 300. I got in to a bit of a smashing spree and smashed 3-4 times. On the final smash, the shuttle was returned very weakly to my partner's side. He went forward and finished it off with a smash. It looked good to me, so I relaxed. Then suddenly a huge argument blew up between my partner and the nearest opponent, with both parties wearing face of indignation and bewilderment. So I enquired what was going on. It turned out that somewhere between my partner's racket and the floor, the shuttle broke apart with the cork going one way and the skirt going the other way. The opponent was disputing the point as he didn't know which part of the shuttle he was supposed to return. My partner was adamant that the opponent could not have got to either part of the shuttle to return it. The sillyness of the situation had me laughing uncontrollably and gave me a belly ache. We could not continue play until I lied down and rested for 5 minutes.

18. Kevindoui

Kevindoui Regular Member

Support clerk
    Ive played some games where we had to change a 300 every 4-5 rallies. I dont know what your deffinition of slower is. In the tounies that I played in we always played with the 350 but when we ran out we had to use the 300 and everyone in the tourny was complaning that the shuttles were getting way too fast. I find that the 350 dont compress as much , what i mean by that is the top of the shuttle doesnt get smaller compared to the 300. but the tips would always break after 6-7 rallies. My guess is that plastic shuttles are only good up to a certain level of player, like the people with a highe level of play = harder/faster smash, shouldnt play with plastic because they can last less long than feathers.

19. chessymonkey

comp tech
    humm thats quite the opposite experience here, the recreational club i attent to and most players here seems agree the 350 skirt collaspe and fly like a bullet upon smashing, plus it feels rather heavy on clears and it tends to go far far way from the baseline....
    300 on the other hand gives an overall Lighter touch and they've found the speed more reasonable.. but oh well , its a "Recreational" club and its very possible that ppl here simply don't have what it takes to reveal the "bad" aspect on the 300, if u had to change a plastic bird every 4-5 rallies..
    that sort of defeat the entire purpose of playing with plastics, these plastics basically cost as much as a good feather bird.. just go feather all da way and atleast u know u'r playing with the good stuff..

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i concurs with your experience.
    the 350 that makes plastic shuttle look bad