Hit in the eye !

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Dave H, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Dave H

Dave H Regular Member

Teacher
    Ouch ! I really mean "fcuking ouch !"

Two weeks ago I was warming up for a night of doubles. My opposite was smashing against me, and I was having no problem returning. But suddenly one of the smashes hit the side of my frame and the shuttle flew at me into the corner of my right eye! The pain was horrendous, but somehow I managed to play the whole two hours. Both eyes were watering, and I couldn't see clearly out of my right one. The next day I had a bloodshot eye, and a more usual black eye.

Now this was the first time in 17 years that I got a hit there, and not a direct one, thankfully. I was very, very lucky. But now, in doubles, I am fearful of a repeat event. The people I play with are almost all way above my skill level (hey! It's a good thing that's helping my game no end!), and the speed of play is right at my limit, and beyond. So, my solution was to buy a pair of clear, plastic cycling glasses, heat the end of the temples, and bend them to fit tight over my ears. They work a treat ! Ok. Sweating is a bit of a problem, but confidence has been restored.

How many doubles players consider wearing eye protection? If you get one hit in your eye I guarantee you'll wear them. Be safe.

2. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

In my club I've seen exactly 2 persons wearing goggles to play doubles. Both women. Actually one stopped wearing them lately.

I've also seen a guy wearing prescription glasses got hit by partner's racket and got blood all over his face...

#2 kaki!, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  3. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

I wear prescription glasses. I told my optician to give me a good and light pair of glasses because of badminton and martial arts. I find them good enough for me although I had a few accidents involving the shuttle smashing directly into my eye. The impact hurt my nose bridge a little, but other than that, my glasses or eyes didn't suffer any damage.

I think if I hadn't requested a good pair of glasses, my eyes would be have been damaged as I saw one guy's glasses broke when the shuttle hit into his glasses. Fortunately, no pieces went into his eyes.

4. orangenetic

orangenetic Regular Member

I have a very embarrassing story about getting hit in the eye :(

I was playing in the gym one day and one of my friends who doesn't play badminton came to visit me. He wanted to try going against me saying that i'm no big deal so we started :p (I gave him 15points first. 21points one set win)

So I kept doing some trickshots and did my best of making him run around the court like a bunny :p
    I smashed once so hard that it hit his private part :) and he got pretty mad about it so he yelled out he was going to hit me with the shuttle. I was like "Go on, try hitting me :p"

So it was his serve and I was just standing in front of the net with my face hanging out trying to tease him.(I know it's not legal but it was just a fun match without any rules since he didn't play badminton)
    Then he served and somehow managed to hit my eye :crying:
    I didn't get a black eye because it hit my eye directly :( It hurt for a few seconds and I couldn't see well for a few hours but it got better after that.

Lesson learned : Don't tease newbies, they'll beat you up like hell.

5. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i think that's the main reason why my partner still wears glasses when playing even if his prescription glasses are heavy and sliding down his nose every point.

some of the Ironman brand cycling glasses are cheap, light weight, and very grippy on the nose so that even if you sweat your glasses won't slip.

thank you for the caution and hope that you don't get hit anymore :)

6. Dave H

Dave H Regular Member

Teacher
    I've been playing with the 'home made glasses' for several weeks now, and I have to say they are better than the professional goggles others here use. Just do as I said, heat the ends and bend to grip the ears, and you're sorted :)