[VIDEOS] How to string Yonex badminton racket

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by mikescully, May 1, 2015.

1. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Interesting observations.

He starts main similar to my method for flying clamp.

He double pull last main.

He doesn't straighten cross during stringing?

Adding 2lb always seems to deform the racket to much in my experience.
    Daring to use the awl / string mover method for a 30+lb string job.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Excellent video, I picked up a couple of ideas from that. :)

When you've been stringing for top players for 20+ years, I imagine you can feel pretty confident in your methods!

5. amleto

amleto Regular Member

he used main/cross wrong a couple of times.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Oops..........

7. mikescully

mikescully Regular Member

8. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Notice how he releases the clamp first and then the base clamp, discrediting whoever said it was bad in that discussion in another thread.

If you think it's bad, make sure you wear a mask while stringing, because the friction from your breath might damage the strings.

9. Tim Tam

Tim Tam Regular Member

Student
    Anyone used the starting clamp like he does in the video? For the start of mains and start of crosses? Will the starting clamp break the rkt?

So is unlocking base clamp first then string clamp the best way or vice vercer?

Double pulling last mains I believe is worth it, the side string doesn't need tensioning.

10. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Which method is better for minimizing tension loss?

(1) Starting the crosses with a starting clamp and doing a tie-off at the end

(2) Starting the crosses with a starting knot and pulling two strings at once

11. Ashdelsol7

Ashdelsol7 Regular Member

Cad
    im sceptical about the +2lbs on the crosses.....when he releases the side clamps from the racket at the end the racket drops, if the racket head was the same shape straight after stringing then the racket would have stayed in position via the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock clamps like when he first clamped the racket up. this just shows that the racket has been elongated (even marginally) and is now not being held in position. Obviously he is probably advised by yonex to string a particular way

12. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

None. Starting the crosses with a starting knot and pulling one string at at time is the best to minimize tension loss. However, at 34 lbs, that may not be possible, in which case (1) would be slightly better depending on the knot.

13. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

It shouldn't break the racket if done properly.

There is no best order for the clamp/base release. If you have gravity release base clamps, release the clamps first, if not release the base first.

I'm not sure about double pulling the last 2, I'm not sure it achieves anything good or bad. Then again, I don't string at 34lbs.

14. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

I agree. I went from +2lbs on my wise to proportional crosses on my VE80 to help maintain the shape of the racket. But I think it depends on the machine and stringer.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it is very machine dependent.

on the ES5Protech where the end support and side support can hold up a small family vehicle, there is no need to add 2 lbs. (and yes, i have personally tried it on a ES5 protech and the shape don't change for main=cross)

for less sturdy machines like most other ones. something from 1-2lbs is probably good.

just to show that we shouldn't take other people, even a seasoned stringer, advise as is like gospel. always think and experiment.

16. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Well, a lot of people tout their way as the way, even if it's only subconscious:).

There are some cast-iron do's and don'ts, certainly, but after that it should be a case of "this is my way; there are others".

17. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

I think that leaves too much leeway for people to do a terrible job and promote theirs skills as the best. It's very unfortunate, but I wouldn't trust 90% of people to find a good way of doing it by themselves.

Might sound a bit harsh or elitist, but I've seen so much of it, it's quite discouraging.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it really boils down to the fact that there is no hard science on this stuff. or if there is, no one is telling anybody. remember the thread i posted about what makes a good string job? most of the replies goes into simple stuff like tying knots, etc, but not much into tension and patterns. not much of any of the reply really tell that we know what makes a racket job feel good and repulsive on the court. but just to make the string job look pretty.

in the end, stringing end up being more of an art than a science. different people have different variations of it. and much of the skills and technique are just passed down from one stringer to another. and very few people validate that these are good or bad things to do. or even know how to validate it at all.

i know 2 different "Yonex stringers" stringing on ES5Protech, one says +2lbs, one says +0lbs. so who is right?

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    what we are trying to do here is we are weaving 1 or 2 strings into a (relatively) soft hoop with holes in them. the hoop is so soft and fragile we clamp it down (another bag of worms there) and then we sequentially tightening the 43 or 44 segments. each tightening involve a clamping action that may lose a little bit of tension and also affects the tension in the previous segment. on top of that, weaving through the string perpendicularly also affect their tension as well as the tension of all other strings. not to say there is friction involved so not the entire cross string is under the same tension.

in the end, we are putting 2000+ lbs of force on a soft hoop in a mostly asymmetrical manner. the amount of force is so high the soft hoop deforms while we are doing it, and even the metallic support we put around it also deforms a little unless you buy the expensive fancy machines. any deformation of the hoop means tension might be loss/gain on the strings segments that are already on the racket.

the number of variabless involved probably will overload any finite element analysis.

and btw, we want to do this in around 20mins.

and also, let's not do it the same way the other guy is doing it, coz, well, that will be copying and not original.

20. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I have the experience to try different jobs from a stringer @YGO and [MENTION=26509]sudirman[/MENTION] cup. Both were YY tournament stringers and strung for Yonex. Both have very different techniques and different feel. The YGO stringer gave a harder job, but the sudirman cup stringer gave a better feel. I wasn't satisfied with both jobs and that's the reason why I bought a machine in the past but I'm a very fussy guy. At the end of the day we have different techniques and things that we prefer, but we can all string a racket to a useful one without breakage which is the aim. I do some things different compared to the video, some I do the same. IMO there are no real dogmas, just everyone's way. Until everyone of my customers include myself are satisfied, I don't need any thoughts to change anything. If we start a contest everbody will do a egg sunny-side up different, every egg will taste different, just we the same equipment.