Yonex strings...need help

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by New_Guy04, May 2, 2004.

1. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

i need help on which Yonex strings i should put on my raquet.I am using an armortec 500. but the strings broke a few days ago.

I am an agressive style player, and i have only been using bg 65 (not sure the tension is though).
    i really want to try out (for the first time) bg 66 or bg 85, but i wasn't sure if i could take the chance of using new strings, since i am going to be in a competition in about 3 days (i'll be participating only in singles). since i only have 3 days, i will probably have only one session to get used to my new strings, but i'm afraid i might not get used to my new type of strings and lose an edge over the competition.

So here's the question... should i just continue on using bg 65, or won't it matter if i try other strings such as bg 66 or bg85? help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Traum

Traum Regular Member

If you're going into a tournament in a few days, it's far safer to just stick with what you know. With so many variables already at play, the last thing you want to worry about is your equipment.

As far as string choices are concerned, I should probably remind you that both BG66 and BG85 are definitely not the most durable string. In fact, I would say that BG66 is outright fragile, and BG85 is only a bit better than BG66 in terms of durability. Both strings have great feel, but they just won't last you very long.

If you are willing to give up a bit of playability / feel for durability, BG80 or Gosen's BioRoots 68 would be very good alternatives.

-Rick

3. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

dun worry, strings are really cheap here, so durability is not a problem at all. what i am looking for is the performance of the string.

i need a string that have repulsion power, control, and strings that don't lose tension in a short time. i guess bg 65 loses tension too fast, and i think i would like a little bit of a 'pop' feeling.

of course, i can pack a lot of power with bg 65, but i want to try new things. any suggestions? :)

4. other

other Regular Member

Student
    well, if you can pack enough power with BG65, then stick with that....how long did your last set of strings last (the ones that broke a few days ago).....some people have talked about some of their BG66/85 strings breaking after a couple of hours.....not good if your going into a tournament, and haven't got a backup (doesn't sound like you do, otherwise you would not be too concerned about new strings on this racquet).

5. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    If you want to try some new strings, I would say try something that is close to BG65 first, such as something that is 0.68mm thickness since BG65 is 0.70mm.

For now....BG68TI and 80 are both the same 0.68 or you can try something that is still 0.70, but different techs, such as BG70Pro or BG65TI strings.

If you jump from BG65 to BG66 or 85, you will notice a big change in your games....not sure if that's a good thing for you or not. :)

6. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

actually, i do have a backup racquet- it's an isometric ti swing power ss in bg 68 ti. it's my dad's , and i only used it a few times for like 20 mins, so i'm not really used to playing with it. Also, i find that racquet doesn't really fit my style, so if i use that racquet, i could probably only play 60-70% of my potential.

Also, my bg 65 lasted me about 2 1/2 months.

7. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

so, what are my alternative string choices that won't affect my game?

by the way, my stringer only has yonex strings, so i can't really get strings from other companies, so what are my alternative yonex strings other than bg 65 and 80?:confused:

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If the price of the service is not a problem, I suggest u to stick with BG65 for the upcoming tourny. Like others stated before, getting used to the new equipment takes some time, and 3 days (1 session) really does not sounds plenty for me.

Use BG65 for the tourny, if u still like BG65, at least stay with it until it breaks, then move on to other choice without worrying about immediate impact. If u really hate it, u can cut it whenever u feel like to.

Good luck for ur tourny. ;)

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    http://www.yonex.com/badminton_strings.cfm :rolleyes:

10. Traum

Traum Regular Member

If you are looking for a Yonex alternative to BG65 that also features awesome durability, BG70Pro is a pretty good bet. It is a little more powerful than BG65, and it is still very durable. A non-Yonex alternative to BG65 that I know of is Gosen's Hy-Sheep Super Micro. It is also extremely durable and can tolerate some very high tension. Additionally, it is also a bit more powerful than BG65 as well. However, you might have trouble getting your hands on this string locally as the Canadian Gosen distributor doesn't seem to carry this string anymore.

-Rick

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    If you are restricted to Yonex strings, then your best bet will be BG68Ti, BG85 and BG66, which have much more repulsion power than BG65.

12. Traum

Traum Regular Member

But be aware that the titanium strings are quite stiff and offer very little feel. This would make finesse shots more difficult to pull through.

-Rick

13. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    OMG do I hate Ti strings. I had very bad experience with both 65-ti and 68-ti strings (thats just personal).

I also agree with some people sayign Bg-70 will be a good bet^^

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Yes, the BG68Ti would have a harder feel than BG85 or BG66, but it is Yonex's top string in repulsion power.

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Personally, I prefer BG 68Ti, BG85 and BG66. BG65Ti is not as good but is still much better than BG65. Again, different people will have their own preferences.

16. BoboTheBadder

BoboTheBadder Regular Member

Student
    Taneepak, I'm confused from that sentence. Is it just me, or does it seem to be a little contradictory? :confused:

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    He meant, BG65Ti is not as good as BG68Ti, 66, or 85, but better than BG65.

18. other

other Regular Member

Student
    2 and a half months broke your BG65? wow....what tension was it at, and how hard do you hit :D