Re: Yonex Racquets

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Cheung, Dec 31, 1969.

1. Yonex Racquets

<html>I now own a Yonex Iso-90 Light. Nice intermediate<br>racquet. <p>I'm looking to get a new racquet that I'll use only<br>in singles. I'll use my current racquet for doubles.<p>I'm looking for good power without compromising feel<br>and control. I have a strong snap but not super <br>strong. I have played against opponents that have a <br>stronger, more aggressive snap. <p>I'm not sure if I should go for a Long racquet and if<br>I should get something with Titanium. I play a lot <br>of tennis and demoed over 14 racquets. I realized <br>that in tennis, I want to avoid Ti and extra length <br>frames. I'm not sure if the same applies to badminton.<p>Based on what I've read, the Yonex Isometric 900 SR or <br>SA are a pretty good choice. The Ti6 or Ti8 also.<p>Any thoughts on which racquet would be better suited<br>for me? Which would you say is the best frame made <br>by Yonex for my style of play.<p>Thanks.
    </html>

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    <html>Although I haven't played serious singles for a while, here are some considerations (for what it's worth).<p>Long racquets are OK for singles where reach becomes more of a factor. It will make returning drives and shots off the body more difficult but these are less frequent in singles.<p>Clearing should be easier but also as important is a racquet that has a little weight towards the head. (Enables a good length clear more consistently).<p>Cheung<p><br>: I now own a Yonex Iso-90 Light. Nice intermediate<br>: racquet. <p>: I'm looking to get a new racquet that I'll use only<br>: in singles. I'll use my current racquet for doubles.<p>: I'm looking for good power without compromising feel<br>: and control. I have a strong snap but not super <br>: strong. I have played against opponents that have a <br>: stronger, more aggressive snap. <p>: I'm not sure if I should go for a Long racquet and if<br>: I should get something with Titanium. I play a lot <br>: of tennis and demoed over 14 racquets. I realized <br>: that in tennis, I want to avoid Ti and extra length <br>: frames. I'm not sure if the same applies to badminton.<p>: Based on what I've read, the Yonex Isometric 900 SR or <br>: SA are a pretty good choice. The Ti6 or Ti8 also.<p>: Any thoughts on which racquet would be better suited<br>: for me? Which would you say is the best frame made <br>: by Yonex for my style of play.<p>: Thanks. <p>
    </html>

3. Danno

Danno Guest

<html>Joe:<p>I just started playing badminton after 5 years off. As a present to myself I bought a Yonex Ti-10 Long, the top of the line Yonex. I quickly found out a few things: 1. I couldn't notice the extra length and I didn't have to adjust my timing. 2. The racket is alright, but I honestly don't think its worth the price. It vibrates, doesn't seem any more powerful than my stiffly-strung Iso-300, and the control is terrible. The strings were new BG-80 at 20 lbs., and I had it restrung to 24/22. I'll see if that makes a difference. I hear a lot of people like the Iso-800 and Cab 21/22. I'm going to check those out next.
    </html>

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

<html>Actually, I use cab22.<br>Never really bothered with the "long" racquets. To me, it was just a marketing gimmick. I don't see much improvement in people who changed from regular racquets to long racquets.<p>Cheung<p><br>: Joe:<p>: I just started playing badminton after 5 years off. As a present to myself I bought a Yonex Ti-10 Long, the top of the line Yonex. I quickly found out a few things: 1. I couldn't notice the extra length and I didn't have to adjust my timing. 2. The racket is alright, but I honestly don't think its worth the price. It vibrates, doesn't seem any more powerful than my stiffly-strung Iso-300, and the control is terrible. The strings were new BG-80 at 20 lbs., and I had it restrung to 24/22. I'll see if that makes a difference. I hear a lot of people like the Iso-800 and Cab 21/22. I'm going to check those out next. <p>
    </html>

5. paul

paul Regular Member

manager of sporting goods company
    <html>I use the 20Long and there is definately a difference between this and the normal 20.<br>I'm the sort of player who is very concerned to get absolutely the most power I can and the Long rackets do have some edge. Since I broke one of my 20Longs recently I tried a few different rackets - Pro Kennex, Prince, various Yonex, and nothing came close.<br>I must say my timing doesn't seem to be affected switching between normal and Long. But for net play the Long racket may be a fraction slower. <br>Cheung - Is there really any difference between cab20 and cab22 ? I never got to try it and suddenly it seems to be unavailable in the UK. Yonex don't care much about leaving people high and dry in the racket department !<br>Actually there is so much talk about rackets on these message boards but I think unless a player hits really hard most rackets give similar sort of power. Only by hitting really hard you can feel the true whip of the racket. Does that make sense to anyone ?<p>: Actually, I use cab22.<br>: Never really bothered with the "long" racquets. To me, it was just a marketing gimmick. I don't see much improvement in people who changed from regular racquets to long racquets.<p>: Cheung<p>
    </html>

6. Mong Yong

Mong Yong Guest

<html>I agree with Cheung. I have used regular racquets, long racquets, isometric racquets, etc. Almost all kinds of racquets. In the end, I still stick to the normal length, regular shaped racquet. I don't find them useful in improving our game. So why bother about all these fancy stuff?
    </html>

7. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    WoW!

Cheung, do you still have the CAB 22 from 7 years ago?

Just love to bring back these old threads...:D:D:D

I have tried many rackets too, in the end, just a simple regular racket does the job.:cool:

8. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    gahahha btw, i SAW A CARB-8, AND I WANT IT BAD!

9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Wow the thread is that old ! :D

10. LuckyBoy

LuckyBoy Regular Member

HOLY SMOKES wow

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Come visit us in Vancouver... you could try mine;).

12. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    or it could be just an error...

13. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Y2K error?

Yes, Master Viper get to try my CAB 22 too at 30 lbs X 33 lbs :D:D:D.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Oh yes, still have a couple of Cab22 lying around:)

Don't use them so much since I switched to singles. It's a great racquet for doubles.

15. Cannot_smash

Cannot_smash Regular Member

Bag snatcher hahaha
    Cab22 haha I also still have a few of those around, and yes its too stiff for singles but great for doubles.