"Weird" Yonex Rackets....

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by AreYouEvenMad, May 25, 2015.

1. AreYouEvenMad

AreYouEvenMad Regular Member

So, lately I was in a local sports store and randomly came across the racket section, and I found some funny racket offers there. Most of them were Yonex rackets with greek names like "Voltric Omega" "Nanoray Delta" or something like that. I've read before, that these are entry rackets for beginers, but what really surprised me were the price: Almost all of these rackets were tagged with offers like " New Yonex High-End racket, now reduced from 150€ to just 80€ special offer bla bla".

My question is, are these rackets fake? On the one hand, I've seen this in several stores now here in Germany (unfortunately in most stores these kind of rackets is the only thing you find when you're looking for a new racket), even big retail chain stores and I cant really imagine that all of these stores are offering fake rackets. On the other hand, I cant imagine a single reason why Yonex should offer these rackets with such a high price. Apparently they are so bad, that Yonex feels so ashamed of producing them, that you cant even find informations about them on their website:D

But seriously, if Yonex actually wanted to offer a racket for beginners these rackets wouldnt have such a high price tag, Also tagging these crap as "high end rackets" could theoretically ruin their image^^ For the same amount of money you could also just buy a mid-ranged Voltric like VT9 which is probably 100 times better than this, but for some reason shops just offer this rackets^^

Does anyone know anything more about these rackets and why they are so expensive?

2. R_Bota

R_Bota Regular Member

The greek names do indeed mean they are designed for beginners.

No idea why they would charge so much though.

3. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Every year, Yonex makes/repaints a bunch of rackets that they present to the big stores for exclusive sales. These rackets are very low end rackets, but since the stores that sell them have the exclusivity, they can price them however they would like without fears of customers finding them for cheaper elsewhere or online. That is also why they can pretend they are worth 200$.

All of those rackets are equivalent to entry line rackets @ 60$-80$, you should never pay more for them.

4. RustyPlayer

RustyPlayer Regular Member

Well those are really weird names... In our place I've never seen those racquets we only find voltric,nanoray and arcsabers and any other well known racquets; If they are for beginners then why such a big price when I was a beginner I got a Yonex racquet but not with Greek names.:D

5. WanZhM

WanZhM Regular Member

IT Business Analyst/Consultant
    All that I know is that these series are made in China. My friend and I managed to grab some with price (equivalent of) $20-$30 here in Indonesia. The seller claimed that these are 'ori' grade, but of course, it should be a very low end class, good for beginners.

6. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

Hehe...yes I know these rackets. Some old guy's in my club got them on an big supermarket for 35$

7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    OP, you are talking about decathlon, right? I strung in the past an Arc Saber Omega and a Voltric Zeus. The Arc Saber Omega was requested with 26x28 and the Voltric Zeus with 25x27. I did the Omega with the requested tension several times. I had at first an unpleasent feeling but it survived it. The Zeus had such a thin head. I didn't want to gamble and reduced the tension to 23x25. IMO not a very solid frame. And only 30USD worth.
    If you look for electronics like a dish washer, some brands change one number for big chains. Like Hyper clean 325D to Hyper clean 324S. These chains offer such of this services "If you find it anywhere cheaper you get your full money back and can keep the machine, TV, etc."

8. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    They are not fakes, just low end rackets as Yan.v and others have pointed out.

I have a Voltric Zeus and it is a pretty decent racket for the price. Not bad for beginners/improvers. That store selling them at those prices should be avoided, lol.

Not all are made in China, some are made in Taiwan where the quality is slightly better. None are made in Japan though. Hope this helps.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    Nothing happens until you move.

9. FeedingShuttles

FeedingShuttles Regular Member

student
    Hi AreYouEvenMad,
    I know exactly what you mean, you find those rackets, and not only Yonex ones but also Talbot, Oliver and the like, at place like Sportarena, Karstadt etc. Sure, they're beginner's rackets, but not bad for the price they sell for. As for the alleged initial price, I think it is pure fantasy. In those stores, almost every racked has a tag saying "reduced from €130 to 49,99" or something. The story behind that would indeed be interesting, since I have been noticing this for at least the last 7 years now, and I am convinced that those rackets are, and were, never offered at those high prices in the first place but are practically coming to the shelves with that tag. Nothing but marketing, I'm just wondering how it can be legal...

Sincerely,
    FeedingShuttles