Bizarre observation about Yonex towel grips

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Gollum, May 5, 2004.

1. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I've just regripped both my rackets with Yonex towel grips (Ac402). One grip is black and the other is orange.

Now for the strange part: the orange one has a totally different feel to the black one! The orange grip is much softer; the black grip actually feels quite hard - almost like it had been used before. You can see the difference in the towelling weave too.

I'm not imagining this. I've done a few blind tests and I can always tell which is which.

Thoughts?

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Too much glue? Not properly stored??? :confused:

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I wonder if the darker dyes tend to dry out the material :confused:

Both were stored in the original sealed plastic packaging, and both came from the same source.

4. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I always found regardless of the make the black towel grips are not as plush as their coloured counterparts, and they are noticably thiner! It's almost as if the black towel is too expensive and they are skimping on it :eek:

5. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Something my grandma told me a looooong time ago, never buy black since black clothes are the ones that were supposed to be another colour, they stuffed it up so they retreated/redyed the clothes to be black (since you can make anything black if you added enough colour). I of course love black and ignore this advice, but maybe there's something to it, black towel grips are processed/coloured twice and so aren't as plush?