Machine Pulls Under the Horizontal

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Desmond C, May 27, 2015.

1. Desmond C

Desmond C Regular Member

I just recently bought a Gamma X-6FC dropweight machine that utilizes the older rotary drum string gripping mechanism. So far this machine has been serving me well, but I've noticed that the string gripper is actually lower than is the racket when mounted on the machine as shown in the pictures. Therefore, it touches the turntable when being tensioned, and sometimes also gets caught on the side supports. I am planning on installing another bracket on the stand that the dropweight is mounted on so that the string is pulled horizontally rather than below the horizontal.

My question is: Is the design meant to be like this? If I raise the tensioning arm by 3cm, will it affect the tension being pulled negatively?

**The red line shows where the horizontal pull SHOULD be.
    Snapchat-446856496138119242.jpg

Snapchat-479146874260215174.jpg

Snapchat--4896517243578433448.jpg

Snapchat-6099982562769426247.jpg

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    not. 95% of the machine in the market has the tensioner below the level of the racket face. if you do some physics and math calculation, you will find out that it doesn't matter. there will be some tiny bit of loss due to friction, but it is not very significant.

3. Desmond C

Desmond C Regular Member

Understood, but would it still be a good idea to raise the tensioning arm in order to maintain the structure of the string against friction? If it is being pulled against/rubs against the turntable as in the last picture?

#3 Desmond C, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
  4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ideally it would be nice for the string to not rub. however, with the size/design of the side support i don't think that's avoidable.

5. Desmond C

Desmond C Regular Member

I will be receiving Michal's Chudek Side Supports soon, so I will mount those first before doing any modding :D Thank you Kwun for your advice!

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

That is quite a marked string angle, but if your calibration scales are horizontal when they read the correct tension, you will be pulling the correct tension; tension is a vector, but only the horizontal component needs to be right.

As you say, in an ideal world the tensioner would be pulling horizontally, but almost no machines can achieve it - it calls for a rising tension head, very fiddly.

7. Desmond C

Desmond C Regular Member

Makes sense. I am new to stringing and would like to do the best job possible for years to come, so I will take any precautions against my clumsy self. Also, this machine doesn't let me lock the turntable, which is useful from what I've read when pulling against certain shared holes in the cross strings, to avoid side support abrasion as per the first picture. Is there any way I could do this manually in some ghetto way for this machine?

8. nws56

nws56 Regular Member

guitar maker
    I had a similar problem with my Premium Stringer 3600 . Solved it by mounting a nylon roller in a height adjustable mounting, free standing on the baseplate . Will try and post pictures.

9. Speedygnomes

Speedygnomes Regular Member

I also have the Gamma X-6FC. I noticed a few things:

- For badminton, your side supports are missing the adapter sleeves. The sleeves would allow the racquet to be mounted with less obstruction. (Although Chudek supports would also work). I normally try to setup the side support, so its between 2 holes, and not blocking either one.

- My tensioner is installed farther from the turntable. The angle is not as severe, so the string won't touch the turntable.

10. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

[​IMG]
    You need these thing-a-ma-bobs

11. kttcn

kttcn Regular Member

one of the possible problem of raising the tension head is that it might interfere with the turnning of the shaft
    this must be a factor taken into account