Help me play on the badminton team

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by orangenetic, Jun 3, 2015.

1. orangenetic

orangenetic Regular Member

I'm a Highschool student in Korea. I love to play badminton so I wrote my name down for the school badminton team. Our school's team isn't Elite but we still do compete in regionals and possibly nationals.(Men's Doubles)

I did get into the team but there is one problem.
    In our school, grade difference is a big deal. For example, a lower grade must treat a older grade very highly. (You can just think of it as military rank differences. I'm serious about this)
    So our team's captain is one grade higher than me and he's the one who decides almost everything.

Our team has an uneven number of players which leaves one person without a partner. Currently, that one person without a partner is me. Some people may think this is because i'm not as good as the people who currently have partners but this is not true at all......

Skillwise, Participation(Not being late to practice, Not missing practice etc etc) I should be playing...

So I went to the captain and asked if I could play in tournaments but he said I'd have to talk to the guy that's currently playing.
    The guy who's currently playing is a nice guy.....but he has incorrect postures and he barely makes it in time for pracitce and he sometimes never even shows up. Even that guy's partner agreed that it would be better for me to play with him instead of the guy who's currently playing. But I'm not the kind of person who can easily say "Can I play instead of you" and neither is the Captain. But since he's the captain and he's a grade older than me, he says he can't say it for me and I wouldn't be able to play unless I sort things out with the current guy.

It's been like this for a month and I haven't had the courage to say it to the guy who's currently playing. But I know that if I just keep delaying this I might not even get to play in matches.
    Can any of you give me ideas or suggestions about what I should do?

Also, everyone else got their badminton team uniforms except for me because I don't have a partner and i'm getting even more desperate to play.

2. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Lol, a captain that doesn't decide who is to play?
    That's the main job of a captain: Deciding who are the best players and who to let play in competition. The other players themselves will probably not give away their spot in the team...

I would make clear that I want to play and that somehow a decision who is to play has to be made. If the captain then decides that it's not you (for whatever reason): Bad luck.

I think the captain and the players may have different opinions on who should be in the team. But the captain has to have an opinion at least.

3. Kennyb

Kennyb Regular Member

A captain is a person who leads their team and that also involves making decision on who should play.

It's quite bad that you have this kind of structure within the sports team. Personally I think that's an incorrect way of managing a team. Any chance you can take this issue further - to the headmaster perhaps?

4. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Be a samurai or be a taichi master. You should face the person in question and either face him frontally with full truth of what you and his partner thinks. You can also choose a more smooth way by taking him to eat somewhere and discuss it in a more elegant way.

Just face it. It's either you talk to him and be done, whatever the results, or never talk to him and be out from the team.

5. Stealthking

Stealthking Regular Member

Surely there is a sports teacher/coach who is ultimately in charge of the badminton team...?

Ask the teacher/coach for their opinion and views on why you are not on the team. That would be the most direct way of getting answer/action.....