User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let us have a more balanced evaluation of Li. It doesn't look nice to "try and convict" him because the press finds him unhelpful and without hearing his side of the story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default -

I remember my run in with a reporter when doing a public project.This reporter would write rubbish everyday in the national press to sell his paper.

One day he personally confronted me and demanded I "do his bidding" or he'll continue to use the power of the free press to condemn me and my company. I threatened to sue him but he persisted as his bosses were also highly influential people.

Finally matter was resolved when top brass of 2 companies decided to sack the reporter for unethical conduct.

Read more about the Papparazi in Europe to understand reporters more.

Also doesn't mean articles in BF reliable, if one believes everything one would believe that ones parents are criminals because someone in BF says so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

guys, give Li YB a break..

the only reason he refuses to be interviewed by non-chinese-speaking journalists is simply because his english isn't good enough..

apparantly, he already had an interpreter, but she wasn't good enough. Li YB said "Indonesia, Malaysia, China, and Denmark all have a very good chance to win the Thomas Cup. However, the chinese team feel more confident with it." when his interpreter translated it though, she didn't mention the first part, which made it seem as though Li YB was being very cocky and over-confident.

due to that incident, Li YB is now very cautious and doesn't want any more misunderstandings. but he has already talked with the IBF about an interpreter for the chinese team for future interviews.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default -

Right, how can someone be arrogant just because they dont

talk to the press in English, he was willing to talk provided the reporter could communicate.

If a coach or player cold shoulders fans, i suppose that's arrogant.

I think this will once and for all clear misconceptions .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hi everybody,

I don't think Coach Li has done anything wrongly accordingly. He represents his country (China) and his team. WHy does he need to use another language to comunicate with others who do not speak Chinese(he already explained he did not speak English . WHat did they want?). If the reporters want to talk to him or ask him something, the reporters should respect the country (China) and coach Li and provide the translation services from whatever languages they are using to Chinese. The reporters should have hired some translators for the different languages. I don't think the reporters repect China at all. The reporters must think their languages are far more superior than Chinese then.
    I believe that anyone represents his/her country should use his/her own language.
    For example : If a chinese reporter asks an English speaking Coach questions in Chinese. Can the Coach answer the questions? or the coach will just say he does not understand Chinese in English not even in Chinese?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uhmmm ... maybe this is needlessly escalating the discussion. We don't know EXACTLY what happened, and ALL THE DETAILS. So let's not jump to conclusions, and then promote said conclusions with too much much passion.

The reporters should have hired some translators for the different languages. I don't think the reporters repect China at all. The reporters must think their languages are far more superior than Chinese then.
    Let's not condemn Li Yong Bo. Let's not condemn the reporters.

-dave

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

just to add to the complexity of the case. i vaguely remember that LiYongbo has a little disagreement with some of the foreign reporters' reports a few years back. i forgot what the context was, but basically LiYongbo didn't like what was written. i am not sure whether it was because the foreign reporters were being too critical, or because it was a language/transation error. in the end, Li got mad and i think since he has stopped talking English to foreign reporters. the reason i believe is probably half because he is still mad, and half to avoid such incidents again in the future.

if someone remembers the details, please fill it in for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by wood_22_chuck
    Let's not condemn Li Yong Bo. Let's not condemn the reporters.
    Dave, forever the diplomat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

However, let's condemn wwcbro, just for the pure fun of it!

-dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well li yongbo is nothing compared to that red-faced scot from glasgow fergie........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Pebulutangkis
    well li yongbo is nothing compared to that red-faced scot from glasgow fergie........
    PT, who are you talking about? I am lost...
    Dave, very funny. hope you are condemning me to better badminton skills!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really want to, wwcbro ... dunno bout that main racket of yours though. Maybe Li Yong Bo will donate some of the "pilfered" Yonexes to ya, for my support.

-dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah Dave...then do u have LYB email's address??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wwcbro
    Yeah Dave...then do u have LYB email's address??
    Just remember to email in Chinese ;p

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wwcbro
    PT, who are you talking about? I am lost...
    Dave, very funny. hope you are condemning me to better badminton skills!
    Guess he is referring to Fergurson, Manchester United manager.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pebulutangkis
    if a reporter asks ferguson a question he dislikes he'll yell vulgarities and tell him to get out of the press room...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yanpok
    Hi everybody,

I don't think Coach Li has done anything wrongly accordingly. He represents his country (China) and his team. WHy does he need to use another language to comunicate with others who do not speak Chinese(he already explained he did not speak English . WHat did they want?). If the reporters want to talk to him or ask him something, the reporters should respect the country (China) and coach Li and provide the translation services from whatever languages they are using to Chinese. The reporters should have hired some translators for the different languages. I don't think the reporters repect China at all. The reporters must think their languages are far more superior than Chinese then.
    I believe that anyone represents his/her country should use his/her own language.
    For example : If a chinese reporter asks an English speaking Coach questions in Chinese. Can the Coach answer the questions? or the coach will just say he does not understand Chinese in English not even in Chinese?
    That's UNREASONABLE. Imagine what would happen in Olympics if you were to interview athletes from 20 or more different countries competing in one event. It's not the matter of respect. English is the lingua franca. We should and have accepted it as the preferred languange in international community. I don't care and don't know if LYB is an arrogant person - he should be more professional and be prepared for an international venue such as Thomas Cup.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast