No Chinese, No Interview

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cups 2004' started by tama-aki, May 7, 2004.

1. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    Again reporters and journalists send more complains to IBF for Li Yongbo's no-Chinese-no-interview policy. When an Indonesian reporter asked him a question nicely, he replied in English,"Do you speak Chinese?" and the reporter said no. "I don't speak English. No interview"

"This is not the first complain we receive," says Lindsay Bell--IBF Public Relations Officer.

On the other hand, Peter Gade is the favourite among journalist for his friendliness among the news seekers. Peter never refuse an interview and at the press conference he even spare some time to sit among the journalist crowd.

Another friendly figure at the press conference is former world's top player Korean Park Jo Bong. After his service lifted up Britain and Malaysia's badminton, he is now back to coach Korea. Park joins Gade to sit and spare some time with the journalists.

2. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

How arrogant... :mad:

3. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Hmmm, I'm starting to hate the whole chinese team cuz of that... Too arrogant!!!

4. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

base in Spore, heart at wherever Lin Dan n Xuanze
    tat's only the coach.....
    the chinese players r still very cute n friendly :p :) :D

5. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

i was sure that you will say that hahhahaha :D

6. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Is his english so poor that he can't say what he really wants to say? If that's the case then I don't think it's so bad. An interview would be pretty useless, and potentially damaging, if you can't really voice what you want because of a language barrier. Replying to all questions with just a few words doesn't make for an interesting or informative interview anyway.

However, if he can speak english well enough to conduct a full conversation then shame on him. He's just making himself look like a total arse. Not a good representation of his team or country as well.

7. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

I think its only the coach too...Li is ALWAYS THAT ARROGANT :rolleyes: but he can afford to act like that... I remember during the tc/uc 2002 finals in China, Li held a press conference everyday after they won their matches (he thought they can grab hold of the tc that year :rolleyes: ) but after the semis when they eventually lost to Malaysia, he cancelled the press conference and wasnt accepting any interview... I was a China supporter back then but still i think its great that they lost...that'll teach him(no offence to his fans...)

8. wwcbro

wwcbro Regular Member

If Li YongBo is reported as saying that...I can only feel sorry for the game of badminton. TC&UC are the best time to showcase the world best badminton players & to promote badminton. And to have one of the top countries coach coming out to make such comment...Ouch!
    I would think an interpreter would resolve this problem. Come to think of it, Li YongBohe could use a PR person as well. :D

9. Nrlll9

Nrlll9 Regular Member

well im sure lindsay bell wouldn't give an interview to a guy who doesnt speak english either.

10. TourSpEdition

TourSpEdition Regular Member

Student
    Really ?

Li Yong Bo sounds really arrogant there...that reporter asked him questions nicely! :mad:

11. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Let's give Li Yong Bo the benefit of the doubt here. What we may misconstrue for rudeness, may not be what he intends.

When I first played at this new club, I said "Hi" to everybody, and there were a couple of players who replied (I thought pretty rudely) "NO ENGLISH!" It was later that I found out that they literally COULD NOT COMMUNICATE at all in English ... and were defensive about it.

We're cool now, so I just want to point out that maybe:

a. Li Yong Bo (plus camp) can speak English but won't.
    b. Li Yong Bo (plus camp) cannot speak English well enough to communicate.

With other possibilities as well ... if you want to condemn, make sure the platform/reason you stand on, is solid.

-dave

12. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    Dave,

Good points, nice to see some understanding North American people, but Li Yong Bo is arrogant and unfriendly (and possible corrupt).

How can I not forget Thomas and Uber Cups 2002, where he had the audacity to sing in the promotional clip with another singer!

Have had information (sure unverified) that racquets/promtional material tional material intended for the team, ends up in his hand.

Regards

Stuart

13. yling

yling Regular Member

as long as li yongbo is the coach for the chinese team, i hope they'll nvr be able too lift up the cup... cant imagine his face if they really won it.. :mad:

may the chinese achieve their dream the first year after li yongbo quits.. :D :p

14. jeicegreen

jeicegreen Regular Member

I dislike Li yong bo~ But, I like chinese players. :)
    I associate Li yong bo with words, such as boasting, selfishness, haughtiness and arrogance.. :p :p

15. Nrlll9

Nrlll9 Regular Member

he is a good coach though

16. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

I think the Chinese BA should accord Li same status as Zhu Rong Zhi,have a few interpreters tagging along everywhere he goes, maybe bodyguards too.

I remember early this year when a Star reporter cornered

Chen Hong, Bao, Lin Dan , Cai Yun and Fui Hai Feng in KLBA shop and was trying to communicate with them for 1 hour with no result.

Finally a few fans voluntered to be interpreters and a short interview was managed after a few hours and slow exchanges.

As for keeping racquets I suppose it is better to allow pplayers to sell their racquets for pocket money like some Msian players.

Li Yong Bo certainly loves money, gifts, etc but corrupt?

That is altogether different thing, I know some people in BAs of other countires who are sharks, but nobody can do anything, even the Sideks.

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    My BF Friends :)

Please give Li Yong Bo a chance and let's see how things develop from here.

It is not nice to say nasty things of anyone if we are not witness to it (eg we did not see the incident on TV with our own eyes unlike the AE MD's Final controversy) and if we have no proof (say of corruption, which is a very serious matter and the accuser can be brought to court) to substantiate the charge.

Maybe one other reason (apart from his inadequacy in the English language)why Li is shy of giving interviews and prevented his charges from doing so could be he has learnt his lesson the last time, when China lost to Malaysia. By 'bragging' and failing to deliver, will cause him to lose face further.

As I recall, Li is very popular with badminton spectators during his heydays as a player. He was colourful and ofter acted like a clown to make his fans happy. It is sad that the burden of the job as head coach has weighed too heavily on him to transform him into almost an introvert, refusing to give simple interviews.

To Li now, it is paramount that China wins the TC because on paper alone, China is miles ahead of the other nations but yet Indonesia has kept the Cup for 5 consecutive times and is determined to retain it on Indonesian soil! The UC is a foregone conclusion for China. :p

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Let us have a more balanced evaluation of Li. It doesn't look nice to "try and convict" him because the press finds him unhelpful and without hearing his side of the story.

19. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

I remember my run in with a reporter when doing a public project.This reporter would write rubbish everyday in the national press to sell his paper.

One day he personally confronted me and demanded I "do his bidding" or he'll continue to use the power of the free press to condemn me and my company. I threatened to sue him but he persisted as his bosses were also highly influential people.

Finally matter was resolved when top brass of 2 companies decided to sack the reporter for unethical conduct.

Read more about the Papparazi in Europe to understand reporters more.

Also doesn't mean articles in BF reliable, if one believes everything one would believe that ones parents are criminals because someone in BF says so.

20. - 73* -

- 73* - Regular Member

guys, give Li YB a break..

the only reason he refuses to be interviewed by non-chinese-speaking journalists is simply because his english isn't good enough..

apparantly, he already had an interpreter, but she wasn't good enough. Li YB said "Indonesia, Malaysia, China, and Denmark all have a very good chance to win the Thomas Cup. However, the chinese team feel more confident with it." when his interpreter translated it though, she didn't mention the first part, which made it seem as though Li YB was being very cocky and over-confident.

due to that incident, Li YB is now very cautious and doesn't want any more misunderstandings. but he has already talked with the IBF about an interpreter for the chinese team for future interviews.