Fault or not when player hitting the Net When......

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by ysk9818, May 7, 2004.

1. ysk9818

ysk9818 Regular Member

I tried to search the forum and only found that it is [not fault] that if the shutte hits the ground and the striking player hit the net.

summary:
    Shuttle not in play first (eg. hit the gound) followed by the striking player racket hit the net because of follow thru. This consider not fault?

my situation is:

My friend tried to drop a shot, and the shuttle hit the net and stay at the net, and at the same time i took a swing at it and my racket hit the net after the shuttle stuck at the net

It is a fault on my side, if my racket hit the net after the shuttle stuck at the net.

thanks

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Law 15 states:
    So, in your case I would think either 15.1 or 15.2 applies so it is not a fault unless the shuttle and your racquet hit the net at the same time in which case it is a fault.

3. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    It would depend on which part of the net the shuttle is stuck on for those laws to apply, WWC is correct in applying the first two but the assumptions are hitting the top of the net and the shuttle is on neither side because it is suspended on top of the net or that the striker has hit the net on their side and it is still on their side of the net.

What if the shuttle has been struch and is over the net being suspended on the other side?

I was always led to believe it was a fault on the part of the person that has just hit the shot if the shuttle goes over but is caught in the net on the other side from which it was hit.

The reasoning being that the opponent is deprived of a chance to hit the shuttle in a fair way during the game.

Is the law on hitting the net not that it is OK only if the shuttle has been hit first and the strike comes in the form of a follow through? The same as it it OK to follow over the net as long as it is a follow through after the shuttle has been struck first.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Strictly speaking, once the shuttle is not in play, the players can hit the net in any way they want. A fault can only be called if the shuttle is in play.

If the shuttle, after passing over the net, is caught in the net and remains suspended, then a let is called. However, if this happens on service, it is a fault against the serving side.

5. ysk9818

ysk9818 Regular Member

i guess as long as the play is dead, all the fault wont apply. ?

thanks guys for the inputs.