HELP MEEE.....actually just cant decide between good rackets :P

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by charzord, May 7, 2004.

1. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    haha, i need help!!!!!!! my friends coming over from hk and i told him to get me like 2 rackets, but i unno what to get!!! i'm a mix/doubles player, so im down to 2 choices.........
    1) mp 77 and mp 88 (2u and 3u)
    OR
    2) mp 77 and mp 77 (2u and.......2u)

the 77's for like 650 hk and 88's 750 hk.......with free stringing :D :D :D

if you pro's got any suggestions please help :confused:

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Without knowing ur preference and playing style, I don't think we can really give any useful advice. ;)

3. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    hmmmmmmmmmm..........basically, I play with alot of smashing with some drops..... ive never really played with high end rackets, so its kind of a big jump for me :eek: ..btw does that answer your question???:cool:

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    MP77 is more like an offensive racket, stiff and head heavy, especially 2U. If u like to smash and strong enough to utilize its potential, good for u. MP88 is more flex, lighter (3u and 4u), and better for all around play. If u think ur arm is not very strong, this should be a better fit.

5. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    hmmmm

thanks for the suggestion lazybuddy!!!!!....anyone else?????

6. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Since I don't know your style of plays, I would just recommend you the cheapest choices: MP77x2

Both MP77 and 88 are great rackets, so I don't think it would be wrong to get two of the MP77.

7. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    Have you ever tried any of those? If not get them both or else just pick 2 same racquet you prefer.

8. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    durability

then what about how strong these rackets are? i mean, if the 77's are realy good but they break everytime you hit the birdie that doesnt really work ;) btw, these rackets are gonna be strung with bg 65 at around 20-24lbs

9. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Try reading the stickies they should be the first thing you read on each forum, at least the first time. Answer these questions and we may be able to help better: http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8426

10. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    GOOOOOOOOOOD IDEA (Y) :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

1. How often do you play, how serious are you?

Not that serious, around 1-2 times a week for 3 hours. Im a high school player, so i guess im not THAT serious....

2. What style of player are you? (Aggressive smasher, net player ...)

MIX PLAYER.........which means a hell lotta smashing. Thats why im considering a muscle power in the first place :p:eek:

3. Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance?

Performance-60% Durability-40%
    I dont have a money tree in my backyard and i live in TO, so there isnt much access to cheap, good rackets............ blah theres only lees and yo's here......

4. How much money do you want to spend?

Well.........hey doesnt my first post answer that!!!!

thanks for you opinions people and heres a new questions........What tension should i string it to? im using the normal bg-65

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I'd say that mixed play for the man is more about midcourt pushes and fast drops, directed straight towards the tramlines. Naturally smashing plays a big part, but not so much as level doubles.

*shrug*

12. other

other Regular Member

Student
    don't get any 3U MP77....just anecdotal evidence, i've seen both the people who play with MP77 break them, one within one year, and the other within a year, and not just from a massive clash either, frame just bent during play. Obviously, doesn't mean MP77 is poor in durability.....just i wouldn't buy one:)

Gollum-if he's not that serrious, then his opponents are probably not that seruous either.....therefore smashing is probably an effective tactic. He's not a coach like you:)

13. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    The 77 sounds the better bet if you are an agressive player (the 77 is quite a stiff racket which is meant for the more attacking style of player), the 88 is more of a defensive racket because it is light and flexable.

I have also known people in the UK who have gone through several MP77's each of them cracked.

But then again I'm sure Yonex have sold hundreds of thousands of them so durability is not bad otherwise there would be a sticky about not ever buying an MP77.

14. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

True. It's just that I feel people usually choose a racket for the wrong reasons, which is why I picked up on it. It seems like everyone describes themselves as: "power player"; "offensive player"; "like to smash a lot" etc. In reality, this is often a bad assessment of their own strengths.

There seems to be something macho about men saying "I'm a power player". Racket manufacturers exploit this in their marketing.

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is this: are you really a power player? Would a power-biased racket really suit your play? Or are you actually being manipulated by Yonex's marketing?

I'm not saying that Charzord is necessarily mistaken - I can't possibly know that for an individual without seeing him play. But a lot of people are mistaken about their own game, so there's a good chance he's one of them.

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Charzord, why don't you consider an MP99, which is still within your price range.

16. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    haha

bout the 99........i dont fink so anymore :p :p I decided that i should get the mp 77 just because of the sheer fun of going "smash-happy"... and its CHEAP....mp77 2u with bg 65 at 20x22 lbs for 675 hk........ anyways, i think im gonna have to start working out jsut to get enough muscles!!!!!