amateur player level and recommendations

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by strongline, Jun 15, 2015.

1. strongline

strongline Regular Member

I am sure questions such as "how good are you", "what qualifies as intermediate/advanced" were asked before, plus it's a very subjective thing, so I am going to ask my question from a different angle. What level I am at if I am better than, say, 80% of players who never had formal training but regularly play?

In fact I am not concerned with what my level is. I ask only because many other things depend on the level: what type of racquet you should buy, how much pounds you put on string, etc. So if anyone can provide recommendations on above question, it'd great too. I play doubles mainly.

2. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    Firstly, what type of racket you buy and the tension of your string are not entirely determined by your playing ability. As you said "it's a very subjective thing" you really need to match these things with your playing style and with what you feel most comfortable with. Although the pattern seems to be the tension of your strings are directly proportionate to your playing ability(Higher tension = Better player), there are still people who do not fit this criteria, some because they are obsessed by having the highest possible tension to make themselves feel good, or if the just feel like it fits them.

In terms of rackets, it is really determined by how much you are willing to pay and how it matches or compliments your playing style.

My ideas of: Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced, may differ greatly to someone else's opinion, so as you said it is very subjective. Most players are in the intermediate group, including myself, but abilities vary greatly even within the same group. I cannot accurately judge how good you are just on a description, but if you really want an opinion from others, feel free to post a video of you playing so other users can give you a more accurate rating.

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

How good you are does not depend on how good others are (ignoring one-eyed man in th eland of the blind type of comparisons).

4. strongline

I've used only entry level racquets so far (Nano100, Wilson BLX, and a Voltrix9). I am not completely satisfied with any of them and want an upgrade but in the meantime don't know what to get. Racquet is not a cheap investment so I am afraid making a wrong one.

I know it's subjective, but still want some suggestions in general.

5. racketman123

Dentist in training...
    When you say you're not completely satisfied with them, what exactly do you mean? Is it just the specs that don't match up with you (e.g. Balance Point and stiffness)?

6. strongline

The first 2 felt too head lighted, while Voltrix 9 felt a bit "dull"

#6 strongline, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  7. racketman123

Dentist in training...
    I can't really speak for the other two, but I can for the VT9. By dull do you mean lacking power, or feeling. In which case I think a restring may be in order. I feel like a new set of string can sometimes revitalise an old racket to make it feel alive again.