Questions/Confirming Knowledge About String

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Caffrey, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Caffrey

Caffrey Regular Member

Lawyer
    So I have been digging around trying to figure out what different string tensions mean to the player etc etc and this is what I have found. PLEASE correct me if I am wrong

1) Higher tensions = smaller sweet spots
    2) These sweet spots have more power than lower tensions that have bigger sweet spots
    3) Higher tensions provide much more control than lower tensions because it doesn't bounce as much

So now I have a few questions,

1) How should you test the waters with tension? (start high and move down? start low and move up? what increments?)
    2) Should you even change your tension or just keep it consistent all the time (ie. should I ever move up from 23/24lbs?)
    3) How do you know that your tension is too low?
    4) How do you know how your tension is too high?
    5) How do you determine whether your stringer is skilled or not?

Thanks guys! <3

2. visor

visor Regular Member

3. visor

visor Regular Member

You play plastic or feather?
    Level of play?
    Style of play? Eg attacking, counter attacking, controlling?

4. Caffrey

Caffrey Regular Member

Lawyer
    Feather
    National
    Counter-attacking (depends on my opponent)

5. Caffrey

Caffrey Regular Member

Lawyer
    [MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION]

I don't really understand, what do I do after I use a guitar tuner to record the frequency?

6. visor

visor Regular Member

In that case, you should probably try BG80 perhaps at 24 lbs first. Rough texture, repulsive, good feel. That's why many pro players love this string.

Then when you're feeling adventurous, you can try BG66UM, ZM62F...

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

(1) Yes.
    (2) Yes or no, depends on the player.
    (3) Yes.

(1) Start low and move up by 1 lb each time. Typically start at around 20 or 21 lbs. This is safer.
    (2) Change it until you find something you like best. Then stick with it for a good while.
    (3) Your shots feel soggy, like hitting with a sponge. The shuttle direction is difficult to control.
    (4) You lose power, especially in your smash. Hitting hard takes more effort and might hurt your arm.
    (5) You can only judge by how good the strings feel to you and how long they last.

8. Caffrey

Caffrey Regular Member

Lawyer
    I like my BG65 :D
    My questions are pertaining to my string tension, not the string itself. I already use 24lbs

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Okee... Then probably 27-28 lbs with prestretch would be a good start for you. I can't imagine how soggy BG65 at 24 lbs feel like...

What's the stringbed frequency? 900 Hz?

10. Caffrey

Caffrey Regular Member

Lawyer
    Thanks [MENTION=2233]Gollum[/MENTION] !

I use around 23/24lbs at the moment. I'm not quite sure what you mean by sponge.... I used some random national sports racket with like ~20lbs maybe 19lbs string (it was some really lose manufacturer strings) and the only problem I had with those are that I didn't feel I was getting enough power. However this is the same feeling when you have too high tension as well apparently :confused:. I also lacked control at the net because it was so bouncy but I have played with a racket strung at 30lbs (only net shots for fear I would snap the strings - wasn't mine) and the feeling was godly so I can't really use that to tell either.

I think that would be my biggest question: how to tell if your tension is too low

Also, the difference between +/- 1lb is so small that I don't know if I would be able to feel a large enough difference to definitely say "this tension is too loose". I have a few rackets, some are strung at 24lbs and some at 23lbs and I can't really feel a difference unless the strings are fresh on the racket.

11. Caffrey

Caffrey Regular Member

Lawyer
    Currently at work now... being a ninja with this window lol

I don't know what soggy feels like :crying: 27lbs seems so high... I guess I can just try it. What is prestretch?

12. Caffrey

Caffrey Regular Member

Lawyer
    Also.. I read somewhere that power has very little to do with tension and is more of in direct correlation to swing speed... so if I swing at the same speed with high tension (27/28) I should be hitting at the same speed as lower tension(23/24)?

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The reason I recommend +1 lb is that it I worry about players hurting themselves with strings that are too tight for them.

My procedure is to start at a low tension, and then keep restringing +1 lb (same racket, same string, same stringer) until the player loses power and feels the strings are too stiff. This takes a maximum of about 12 restringing jobs, but for almost every player it's more like 2 -- 4 jobs.

Doing this quickly is better, because it is easier to compare different tensions if you only have (say) a week's gap between them. The downside of course is that you have to cut the strings early. I see this experimental period as an investment.

However, you don't have to do it that way. You can go up in big jumps if you want -- just make sure you stop playing as soon as you feel the strings are too tight.

As an experienced and strong player who is used to 24 lbs, I would suggest starting at 25 lbs. But if you prefer, you could take a bigger jump. It's up to you. :)

Remember that godly 30 lbs racket that you played net shots with? Soggy is the opposite of that. ;)

It's a complicated subject, and there's a lot of disagreement.

My personal view is that players who hit accurately (near the centre of the strings), and who have a faster swing speed, will get more power out of higher tensions -- up to a limit! Nobody is going to get more power from 40 lbs. ;)

Ultimately there is no substitute for experimenting. You have to try out different tensions and decide what you like.

14. Caffrey

Caffrey Regular Member

Lawyer
    Interesting...

I'm next to certain that stringers around me don't prestretch so I would probably have to string ~27lbs to get it back down to ~24lbs anyway... so +1lb might not make that much of a difference. The thing is, with BG65, its such an inconsistent string when it comes to tension, I have no idea how to judge it.

lol @ how to tell if a string is soggy. It doesn't help that much though :(

15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yeah, BG65 is bad at holding tension. Maybe try BG80 instead?

That's the trouble: these things are inherently subjective. You can't learn that much about strings by asking other people. You have to try them and feel it for yourself.

Everyone has a different experience. Play around a bit and find what you like. That's all that really matters.

16. Caffrey

Caffrey Regular Member

Lawyer
    [MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION]

So if I walk up to my stringer I can just ask him for BG80 @ 24lbs? Or should I ask him for 1 or 2 lbs higher because of tension drop off

17. visor

visor Regular Member

As long as it's your usual stringer, yes, ask for BG80 at your usual 24 lbs first. Don't go to a different stringer otherwise you'll have too many loose variables.

When you get a chance at home later, ping your racket and let us know the stringbed frequency.

18. Caffrey

Caffrey Regular Member

Lawyer
    Will do

I am looking for a new stringer though because the one I have is really busy... it took him a month to string just one racket and I have 4 more that need to be strung... :crying:

19. Caffrey

Caffrey Regular Member

Lawyer
    Actually now that I think of it, I only have my racket with training strings on so I have nothing to ping. It's a .75mm string with below optimal tension so it will last forever (last pair lasted me a year.. lol)

20. visor

visor Regular Member

That's not normal nor acceptable. You need to find another better stringer with max 1 wk turnaround time.

Yikes...