PBSI logo in Yonex SP racquets

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by taneepak, May 9, 2004.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    If you own a Yonex SP racquet, take a look at the PBSI logo on the cone? It stands for "Persatuan Bulutangkis Seluruh Indonesia". What does it mean?

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    A literal translation would mean, "Whole Indonesia Shuttlecock Association", but of course the correct one would be "Badminton Association of Indonesia".

3. SteveStanley

SteveStanley Regular Member

As far as I know, all the Yonex badminton rackets that are sold in Indonesia have PBSI logo. They started doing this in late 1990s (not certain).

4. sessyargc

sessyargc Regular Member

software engineer
  5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

But I saw a Yonex AT700 SP with the PBSI logo and with a serial number on the cone with the suffix HK (meaning Hong Kong). As Hong Kong is obviously not Indonesia, I wonder why do they stick a PBSI tag on racquets specifically made for the Hong Kong market?

6. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    I asked the same question about an MP-100 I saw in a shop here and the shopkeeper aren't too sure about it either. It had SP and PBSI logo, but HK designation on the cone as well. I do find it kinda weird as well. The only thing he told me is that he only gets his from Sunrise (SEA's official Yonex distributor) and nowhere else.

7. SteveStanley

SteveStanley Regular Member

That's strange. I don't think PBSI would benefit anything from showing their logo on those rackets, but why the logo is there? :confused:

We could probably take advantage of this, because then we know that the rackets are authentic ... (not sure) :confused:

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Does it mean a Yonex racquet bearing the PBSI seal of approval is better than another Yonex racquet without it? What about the JP, CN and CP racquets, which presumedly do not have this logo? If so, would such high-priced racquets be considered as not good enough by the powerful Badminton Association of Indonesia?
    If what you say is true, that the PBSI logo is the seal of approval for use at the highest level, then I will take this anytime over a CP, CN or JP, even at a slight premium.

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The fakes can copy anything. The Badminton Association of Indonesia just doesn't have the resources to sue every copycat.

10. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    If you ask me, I'd say it doesn't carry much of a meaning except that it is endorsed by PBSI. Yonex must've paid them to use the endorsement, thus you see it there. Same with the Badminton Assoc. of Malaysia - you can see their logo on Gosen racquets.

Perhaps Yonexes with CN or JP don't need any CBA or JPA logos because they're already highly sought after, needing no endorsement? If this is true, then it's an opposite of what taneepak had spoken - lower end, needing endorsement from a BA.

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

If Yonex pays the PBSI for its endorsement, then Yonex should extend it to all their racquets and not only on SP racquets.

12. lalanthier

lalanthier Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, but SP racquets are what players are sometimes worried about because they might have some bad fruit in the lot, since they don't go under standardized tests. So if yo'uve got the PBSI there, it might provide some comfort to people.

As to why it's on HK racquets. Maybe it's because HK also has a lot of SP racquets. I don't know where the connection comes in...just made me think of that.

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

If you have a Yonex China racquet, you will also see on the cone an approved Yonex logo with some alphabets that may indicate the Chinese Badminton Association. The CH Yonex racquets have this logo and the Yonex booklet says that the real Yonex racquets with CH must have this logo.
    Maybe, owners of Yonex racquets for other countries like Canada, USA, Japan, Australia, Denmark, UK, etc., may want to check if they have any logo at all.

14. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Talk about PBSI logo, I didn't like it at the first place when I saw them on my Cab21SP.

So, I tried to scratch them off.....(or peel them off)

Then....I realized the place has a little gap/line without the logo.....So, I glued the logo back on..... :p

But anyway, I still don't like the logo, and I think I am just going to use the overgrip to cover it.

15. sessyargc

sessyargc Regular Member

software engineer
    Maybe its just a marketing scheme. Creating another manufacturing process for a product that is only for sale in a specific country is expensive. I guess the PBSI model is no different from the CP, CN or JP versions. They'll likely be different in the level of QC that they go thru.

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Then what about the logo in Yonex CH racquets? To our friends in North America, Europe, Australia, NZ, Japan, and other places, do you have a logo on your Yonex racquet?
    I have a gut feeling all approved/authorised Yonex racquets have a logo of the relevant country's badminton association, mainly to counter the fakes. But then the fakes will also copy the logo. I have seen a fake Yonex racquet, MP77, showing SP and CH (which doesn't make sense) and a fake China Yonex logo (poor copy).

17. Mel

Mel Regular Member

Company Director
    In NZ, no logo of Badminton Association of Indonesia. Cone shows NZ. Hope it helps.

Cheers ;)

18. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    US version also does not have the Club logo. But some old models have the Olympic game logo.

19. Woven

Woven Regular Member

beggar
    from my knowledge, the rackets with the PBSI sign is made under license by yonex factory outside japan. its not fake nor clones, but just manufactured outside japan. Most rackets in asia excluding japan and china mainland (i think) have that logo on them.

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The PBSI logo appears only on SP racquets. A separate China YY logo appears on the cone of racquets for China, with the suffix CH. It is not true racquets with the PBSI logo are made outside Japan under license. Almost all high-end Yonex racquets with the SP words and PBSI logo are manufactured in Japan.