Taufik promises Chinese a torrid time at packed Senayan

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cups 2004' started by ants, May 9, 2004.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    JAKARTA: THE Thomas Cup Finals' biggie between Indonesia and China, dubbed as the highly anticipated final, will draw a full house in the Senayan Indoor Stadium for the first time.

And Taufik Hidayat warned China to brace themselves for a tough time.

The winner of today's mouth-watering tie between the hosts and defending champions Indonesia and top seed China will emerge as the Group A champions and get a direct entry to the quarter-finals.

BUNDLE OF NERVES: Indonesia's Simon Santoso may face a harrowing time playing in the third singles against the top seeded China today.
    And the 23-year-old Taufik said the Indon team would go all out to fete their passionate fans with a fighting display to win the tie.

“The Chinese players are strong but the Indon team will go all out to win,” said the reigning Asian champion.

“I am always ready and well prepared to meet the Chinese. I am the most senior player in the team and I will be out to win a point.”

Taufik may face either China's second ranked Chen Hong or third ranked Bao Chunlai. His juniors – Sony Dwi Kuncoro is set to take on Lin Dan at the first singles while Simon Santoso may be playing against one of these players - Bao, Xia Xuanze and Chen Yu.

China may not field Chen Hong against Taufik as the Chinese have lost in all their five meetings. But they may field Bao, who has won two out their three meetings.

“If Chunlai is fielded, I will be more than ready to play him.”

And when a reporter pointed out that he had lost to Bao in the third round of the World Championships last year, Taufik immediately responded: “Don't you remember I defeated Chunlai at the Indonesian Open last year (third round).”

The Indon had also lost to the Chinese in the third round of the Japan Open in 2002.

Taufik however, shot down notions that Indonesia would play at half strength against China.

By the time Indonesia takes on China today, they will know the outcome of the Group C tie between Thailand and Malaysia.

If Indonesia emerge as the group champions and Malaysia finish as the runners-up in their group, there is a possibility of meeting Malaysia in the semi-finals.

But Indonesia can lose to China and meet Thailand (if the Thais become Group C champions) in the quarter-finals and probably play Denmark in the semi-finals.

“There is too many assumptions and predictions. Why do we want to run away? We are not afraid of playing Malaysia or any other teams. Our team will take on anyone,” said Taufik.

Both the Indon team manager and singles chief coach Christian Hadinata and Joko Suprianto echoed Taufik's sentiment and said that their players would go all out to win in every tie.

“We have our crowd, who wants us to win all the time. Probably, if the Finals were held elsewhere, we might have looked at other options. But even if we lose to China, we still have a chance to play in the playoff to keep our challenge going,” said Christian.

Christian, however, added their doubles would be greatly challenged by the Chinese.

The Chinese, who had promised that they too would go all out against the Indons, will be banking on world number three Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng and world number six Sang Yang-Zheng Bo.

TheStar

2. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

base in Spore, heart at wherever Lin Dan n Xuanze
    very interesting n exciting match..... too bad spore doesn't have any channel broadcasting it..... :(
    i can only eagerly waited for live scoring

3. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

I guess im pretty lucky today...im going to my friend's house to watch the game on astro....Haha... :) Can't miss candra playing...and the whole chinese team....especially bao cl....

4. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

arghh..... actually i tot of going over batam to silvia's house to watch the match then come back spore tomorrow morning :p
    but too rush for me if i go after work.... :(

5. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

I heard from my dad that Astro has baminton TC/UC live broadcast everyday in Malaysia.

HongHong, if you subscribe to sattelite/cable tv in Singapore, you may get live :)

6. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

Ya... they are showing two matches everyday...

7. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

spore cable tv isn't showing (i already say many times) :(
    it only showing semi-finals n finals.... but who cares... i'm going over to watch it LIVE by then
    i wanna watch tonight's CHN vs INA match..... :mad: