Places to play in Markham or near Markham

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by officialak, Jun 30, 2015.

1. officialak

officialak New Member

Hi, I am a beginner in badminton and want to know places where there is drop in. Also, I would like to know more about how drop-in badminton works. Do you just go to the club and pay a drop in fee and then the person in charge will introduce me to people on the court? How do rotations work? Also, are there many beginners like me in drop in? I dont want to be a burden for the better players. Also, If I am going alone, will others invite me to play or will I have to talk to the person in charge in find people to play with. Thanks.

2. garry.pantja

garry.pantja Regular Member

Hi Officialak,

You may want to try to go to community center around Markham area. Typically, community centers have players from beginner to Intermediate and they usually have a drop in schedule where you pay certain fee to play. To ensure fairness, most community centers usually employ 15 minutes rotation.

There are also quite a few badminton clubs in Markham area which offer drop in, Mandarin, iPlay, C2, KC, Lee's, Flying Dragon, Suria, Su and etc. If you decide to go to one of the clubs, you may want to bring your own partners as mostly those clubs have a better level of play than those in the Community Centers. Also, these clubs usually don't have an organizer. They will not arrange a game for you. Once you pay the drop in fee, it's really up to the players to play with the others. Only a not for profit badminton club has an organizer who arranges the game for the members but I don't know if there is such club exist in Markham area. I know there are a few in Toronto.

I wasn't too sure how the rotations work in each of the clubs but normally, they will play 21 score system, one, two or 3 sets depending on the traffic there. If it's packed, you may play one set if not, you may get to play best of 3.
    I believe there may be some beginners play in those clubs as well but not too sure when they usually gather to play. You may want to contact each respective clubs to find out.

I don't recommend you to go to those clubs by yourself as typically the players there have already an established group whom they like to play together with. If you decide to go there, please bring your own partners.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Garry

3. officialak

officialak New Member

Thanks Garry. Do you know if community centre such as Angus Glen or Centenial drop in's have organizers that will help find you players to play with. Main problem I have is I dont have anyone to play with sadly.

4. garry.pantja

garry.pantja Regular Member

I have never been to those community centres before so unsure how the drop in works there. You may want to give them a call. I'm pretty sure the staffs there would be able to tell you how the system looks like there. Sorry couldn't help much.