MP99 to AT800 (OF or DF?)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by F-Man, May 10, 2004.

1. F-Man

F-Man Regular Member

Student
    Recently, I made the decision to give up playing singles and focus solely on doubles and mixed. As it happens, I also broke one of my MP99s, the fourth one that I have broken. Rather than getting another MP99 to replace it, I want to get something specifically for doubles.

The AT800 seem quite appealing, but I am not sure which ones (x2) I should get. I am assuming that the DF, in terms of touch, is related to that of the MP88, which is great for high paced games, but it lacks power and the shaft is too soft. The OF, from what I have read is of an extreme head heavy nature like that of the MP100 and AT700. These two rackets I have found rather difficult to adjust to, but they are extremely powerful and with time, I should get used to them.

The point I am trying to make is, which of the AT800s should I switch to? I would consider myself as rather versatile i.e. my defense is as good as my offense. I initially wanted to buy two AT800 OF, but there has not been many reviews on it, and people don't seem to like it. The DF seem appealing but I don't want to sacrifice too much power.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

2. kukula

kukula Regular Member

businessman
    I suggest you try both the OF and DF and see what feels better. IMHO, the DF would serve you better. From what I have heard, the DF is very much like the MP90. Thus the transition would be easier. And since you want to focus more on doubles/mix play, it would suit you better especially since you are a well rounded player. And dont be misled by the name DF. It packs alot of punch in offense. It is a head heavy racket which means it generates a lot of power in smashes, although it is not as head heavy as the AT700, but definitely head heavier than the MP90, which from what I have heard is more evenly balanced. I have recently bought the DF, and I consider it to be a really good racket. I also have the Ti-10 and I feel that comparing the two on smashes is about the same, witht he Ti-10 only slightly more powerful. Just my .02 cents :)

3. F-Man

F-Man Regular Member

Student
    Kukula:

Thanks for you suggestion. Unfortunately, the Ti-10 is not a racket that I like at all (sorry to all Ti-10 lovers). I don't like the feel of the racket since when I smash with it, since it feels like the racket head is "dragging" behind and there is too much of a delay before the shuttle is struck.

I don't think I will be able to get hold of demo AT800s (DF or OF). The thing is, I don't mind head-heavy rackets, but not to the extreme of the Ti-10. In other words, something like the MP88 is OK. As for the transition between MP99 to the AT800, with time, that shouldn't be a problem so it just depends on which version I settle for. So therefore, is the DF still the best option?

4. kukula

kukula Regular Member

businessman
    The only comparison I am making between the Ti-10 and the AT800 DF is on the power department. I know what you mean with the Ti 10 being somewhat "slow". You wont definitely see the same thing with the DF. It is very quick and maneuverability is excellent. Stability is also very good. I dont know about the OF, but from what I have heard it is somewhat head heavier than the DF.

5. pentium4

pentium4 Regular Member

Student
    4 of em?!?!?? how do u manage?

6. F-Man

F-Man Regular Member

Student
    For now, I'll answer this question, but please don't get sidetracked from this thread. I was struck in the hand twice by elimentary playing partners, where the racket subsequently fell to the ground and cracked.

Part of the reason that as many as four has been broken is because of the relatively high string tension that I prefer of 26 pounds. Another one broke in a racket clash, and the fourth one broke because I according to an official Yonex stringer, the racket had been wrongly strung, thus a crack developed over time.

End of story!

:p

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    You had helped to confirm my measurement result that ti-10 is flexible racket contrary to yonex brochure and other posters here.

http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12833&page=7&pp=10

I think the 3U AT800 DE would comes closest to MP99 but just a tad stiffer. I would if i were u also try out a 4U AT800 OF too.

#7 cooler, May 10, 2004
    Last edited: May 10, 2004
  8. kukula

kukula Regular Member

businessman
    If you love using high tensions then the Armortech then you will definitely love the AT Series. The recommended string tension is up to 25lbs. Thus it would make 26lbs with no problem. Then again you can check out some other manufacturers. I also own a Gosen Aermet 5300. Also very good racket. It is also very powerful and evenly balanced. The manufacturer warranties it up to 30lbs.

9. F-Man

F-Man Regular Member

Student
    One thing that I forgot to say is that my preferred string is BG68ti due to its excellent repelling power. The combination of my current MP99 and this string (at26lbs) allows me to flick smashes to either rear corner off smashes (either side) with ease. I noticed that the BG68ti is not one of the receommended ones for the AT800 as stated on the Yonex JP website. Therfore, should this have any bearing on my decision to switch from the MP99 to At800, and thereafter, the DF or OF?

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I don't think it should make a damn bit of difference :p Those recommendations are all but meaningless. For all we know, they might be determined by Yonex's current stock balance ;)

It's still a horrid string in my opinion, but that's beside the point. If you like BG68ti in your MP99, you will like it in an AT800 too.

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I personally think that At800 series has and edge over Mp99. Even though it is designed for doubles play. It is suitable for singles for those who needed extra power which they don't get from Mp99. Don't be suprised that some pros are using for singles play during trainnings.

12. F-Man

F-Man Regular Member

Student
    Ants:

You say the AT800 has an "edge" over the MP99. In what way? Is it really more powerful? Although I am not a hugely powerful player myself, given the opportunity, my smashes are strong enough to cause some damage. It is not an area of my game that I focus on very much, as I would much rather have increased control and manoevaribility. In that respect, what is the overall concensus now then with regards to the title of this thread?

13. ants

ants Regular Member

The AT800 has an edge in terms of power and manoevaribility. I'm a user of Mp90 and At800 both DE and OF myself. I think AT800 is better IMO.

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    3U or 4U AT800?

15. kukula

kukula Regular Member

businessman
    I personally use the 3UG4 AT 800DF. I believe ants also uses the same weight and grip on both his AT800. Oh actually ants has 4 of them :eek: :D

16. ants

ants Regular Member

I'm Using 3UG4. All my rackets are 3UG4

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Kukula, there is no such thing as an AT 800DF. It is either the defensive one officially referred to as the AT 800DE or the offensive one, the AT 800OF. An AT 800DF, if there is such a model, would be more of a cross-breed between the DE and OF, probably along the line of the AT 700.

18. ants

ants Regular Member

What he meant was DE. Defensive version.

19. kukula

kukula Regular Member

businessman
    Ummm yeah I mean the DE :D

20. Dsnotling

Dsnotling Regular Member

I just spoke to with a girl in sweden that could order AT800 for me either in may 25 or in the beginning of august. So i'm also interested to see some reviews and specs on OF and DE.
    I think OF will be the choice for me though if i buy this racquet since I don't want a soft shaft :).
    Will be interesting to see what the price for this and the AT700 lands on then.

Btw I see you people talking about the Ti-10 is that the same racquet as mp100, because i can't find any specs on it at yonex homesite.