Suggestion for front player help rear player in problem ( md situation ).

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by rotchanasakn, Jul 6, 2015.

1. rotchanasakn

rotchanasakn Regular Member

engineer
    In MD intermediate club player.
    The situation start here,
    1.Opponent start straight attack clear /(or) deep high clear from their right rear corner.
    2.My partner do a deep high clear back.I move to my side stand for intercept cross shot.
    in defensive situation.
    3.Opponent use fast drop shot and my partner can not reach it , the rally end.
    So the question is...
    If I want to help my partner should I stand in mid court to deal with straight fast drop shot ?
    And tell my partner to stay back at rear court ( in this situation he stand in left rear court , the corner he just make a clear).
    But it hard to me if the opponent make a cross smash or cross clear instead ( cross clear I can jump out to intercept but chance about 7/10).
    So please advice me to deal with this situation.
    Oh, my partner is not a smasher ,very good net player,so he use a stick smash not power smash.
    Thank you very much.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Best option for your partner then is not to clear back, but to fast drop instead. Then if you both prefer, then he rotates to the front where he's best and you to the back where hopefully you're better...

3. rotchanasakn

engineer
    Thank you, YES.
    I talk with my partner that he should do something that better than clear back to this opponent.
    Because this opponent is control player and very good in changing pace/placement ( clear--fast drop,clear--punch clear).
    But very often that my partner struggle in back court , then he do defensive straight high clear back.
    And the situation will return just like I told above.

4. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Well, if your partner plays a high deep clear, he should have time to recover. Does he recover immediately after he hits? Is opponent deceptive?

5. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

1. Your partner should easiely be able to get a drop after a high, deep clear on his half-court.
    2. He shouldn't play a high clear in the first place.
    3. There's nothing you can do if he gets outplayed so easily.

6. rotchanasakn

engineer
    Absolutely YES.
    This opponent has better skill than both of us,he is very deceptive in rear court.
    When I play against him ,I use smash a lot, or play with his partner instead.

7. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Give your partner is not able to cover his court, he should not be clearing straight. Get him to clear cross court, and then he should run in to be the cross court defender, and you defend straight. They will have more difficulty beating your partner with a fast drop if they have to hit cross court (longer distance and so it takes longer). Also, if they play cross court, then he has a chance (as a net player) to try and attack by playing to the net, or pushing or driving.

In this way, given your partner struggles to defend, you can take the pressure whilst defending, and he can focus on trying to attack the net.

Good luck.

8. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Given he can't reach a drop after a clear in doubles, I doubt he can play a decent cross clear...;-)

9. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    But you assume he was able to hit a good straight clear? :)

I suspect the real problem is his straight clear was awful, and hence he can't cover his side. However, on the assumption the clear was ok, he should be able to hit a reasonable cross clear, and puts him under less pressure to defend. You are at least baiting your opponents to attack the stronger player without attempting risky cross court round the head smashes.

On the whole though... people who are capable of implementing tactics probably aren't worried about covering straight dropshots.

10. rotchanasakn

engineer
    ;)Thank you very much for all answers.
    I get much more than I expect.
    So I will try these in this weekend.
    Thank you.

11. Kmwong93

Kmwong93 Regular Member

Talking about positioning only, if he gives a clear straight or cross, he should move slightly up to mid court, cause is defensive. You are right to move back, but you should still be aware of your previous place you are supposed to cover in case anything happens, means you still take note of the front corner instead of blindly moving to the back to get ready for cross shots. Check out youtuber Lee jae bok about covering partners. He talks about the 70/30 practice. I think it works here.. Cheers.

12. No_footwork

No_footwork Regular Member

Accountant
    That is a tough spot to be in if your partner doesn't have a smash and you're playing intermediate doubles.

Even at that level, I believe it's pretty easy for your opponents to identify your team's weakness and exploit it all day long. Mark (as always) and others offer good remedies (hitting dropshots/cross-court clears and following them up to the net). But is this a sustainable solution?

Just to play devil's advocate, won't your opponents gradually anticipate said tactics and counter? If I was your opponent, I would just clear to him all day long and attempt to push him to the back (flick serves, etc). Since he struggles from the back, I would then anticipate the drop shots and cross court clears and just neutralize them after seeing that strategy employed.

My questions are:

1. Without an effective smash from the back, won't that seriously affect your team's ability to play effectively at that level?

2. Isn't it a requirement to have a smash that your opponents must respect a little bit before competing at the intermediate MD's level?

PS: I realize I haven't offered any solutions to your questions, but I'm curious as to how much tactics can cover for a lack of fundamentals.

I've also found myself in your situation. Mine were friendly club play with random partners and I find the circumstances you've describe tough to overcome. These types of matches were just ridiculous because I find myself doing silly stuff to compensate. I know it's for fun, but I am not enforcing good habits.

Please let us know what happens after this weekend. Good luck!

#12 No_footwork, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  13. rotchanasakn

engineer
    Thank you very much,No_footwotk.
    Before I go this weekend,I have to answer your question.
    In this my level of play,SMASH is an effective weapon ,but it will come after a lift not deep high clear.
    I can easy do a killer smash after my buddy play tight net shot , then they lift, and follow by my smash.
    But situation change in deep high clear,I can do jump smash but it less effective.
    My buddy and I play for long time,so I smash in back court and he very good at net.
    With this opponent he play wisely, placement is his skill,not the smash for him.
    OK.For the answers.
    I think smash is very effective in my level of play.Effective smash make my game under control.
    And for #2 ,STRONG SMASH to make opponent respect ,this type of smash I often use in deep high clear situation. Because after strong smash I can changing pace by vary type of drop shot or attack clear to opponet that now in rear court.
    PS. After this weekend I will write the result.
    thank you.

14. rotchanasakn

engineer
    Ok! First day on court 3 games( old 15 score system) with difference type opponents.
    Very satisfy result,the deceptive rear court player can not do his favorite shot and the game is under my control.
    Yes,I win all 3 games.
    But I still need to re-test for more.
    Thank you very much,I will tell you the way that I use to correct my game after test.

15. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    what did you and your partner do?

16. rotchanasakn

engineer
    For my partner,I told him that "please do not do clear"and make shuttle down ( slow drop,fast drop,smash).
    But that before game start,when in game "the deceptive player" still attack my partner and force my partner to do deep high clear back to him.He seek opportunity to do his favorite fast drop shot to end the rally.
    But with our BC member suggest me to compensate this situation.I can rule the game and finally win (15:7,15:10).Just I said before I need to re-test this remedy for confidence (but now about 70% ).
    PS. I also read your thread too,your situation is much more difficult than mine.
    But I hope my remedy will work for you too,Just relax.
    I will tell you soon.
    Thank you very much,all BC MEMBER.