Injuries

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by stormthunder, Jul 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. stormthunder

stormthunder Regular Member

Hey all,

I've been playing for roughly 2 years, and competed in competitions... until last December, I played six hours more than normal, then had training, and injured my knees. Following that, I injured my wrist and was diagnosed with tendonitis.

I took medication for both injuries on my wrist and knees, but all the medication did was alleviate some of the pain from my wrist.

I've been resting, putting no pressure at all on my wrist or knees, for 2 months, but nothing is helping. My knees are in the same condition as before, as well as my wrist. It's torture to see my training partners strive far ahead of me, and my peers overtaking me as I sit here waiting for my injuries to heal.

My wrist used to be so bad that I couldn't move it without pain, and I was stupid enough to go and play in SCVALS, the tournament every high schooler wants to win and compete in. Following that, I quit training and badminton. My knees are pretty bad. I can't lunge or put pressure on them without them buckling/collapsing. The pain is almost unbearable. I now have to wear a wrist brace all day, except while sleeping. I have to wear a knee brace while walking far distances, and while running. To be honest, it's a real pain in the butt.

I'm just curious, how should I go about getting rid of this pain now? I've visited doctors, rested, but nothing's working. I'm really getting tired of just sitting here doing nothing, and as much as I want to train, I can't really go train anymore. Or play. Or run. Or anything.

Please share! Thanks!

-- Stormthunder

2. phili

phili Regular Member

You should consider visiting a physio to get the rehab going. Just resting isn't enough in some cases.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

doesnt sound good for your knees... how old are you?

did you twist or sprain them? shouldn't feel like buckling or collapsing so easily

if you've seen the doctor, you should ask for xrays and then maybe also mri to check your cartilage and ligaments status

4. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    I'm currently injured due to a small tear in my ACL, I am using the RICE method daily, limiting the time standing, taking Ibruprofen 3 times a day and then doing some light Yoga to help with flexibility with my knee. I know the frustration you have. As Visor said, push to get scans done as if you have ligament or tendon damage, perhaps even damage to your minisci, then you need help pronto. Has the doctors done any of this for you?

I was lucky and don't need surgery but I have been told to rest. It's hard as I love the sport and coach it daily but sometimes rest and rehab is the only option. I'm doing some light training upper body whilst resting so I feel like I'm not going backwards. With regards to your wrists, they sounds bad and needs further scans etc to again make sure it doesn't turn into chronic pain. Good luck, keep your spirits up, you will get better with the right help and rehab.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants.

5. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I've read several interesting articles - being injured right now myself - about RICE and it stated that ice actually delays recovery. It's good for relieving the pain and swelling within the first 24 hours or so but it slows down the biological mechanisms that are involved in healing the tissues.

6. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Sorry I wasn't clear, I use ice for 20 mins each time, spread out over the day when I am walking for periods of the day as I feel pain and it helps with the swelling. I also take warm baths each night to soak the muscles using indian medicine (family secret, lol). This helps the muscles and ligaments to heal faster. I am lucky, I heal pretty quickly but it takes discipline and patience.

Rehab and making sure the surrounding muscles get stronger helps to stop this injury happening again, so its the most important part for me.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants.

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That's a good point. There is a trade-off involved.

The immediate priority with a sports injury is to bring down the inflammation, because inflammation causes further tissue damage. This is why RICE is recommended for at least the first 48 hours.

While ice probably does delay healing somewhat, that is less important than preventing further damage. After 48 hours you can stop applying the ICE part of RICE.

8. amleto

amleto Regular Member

9. stormthunder

stormthunder Regular Member

[MENTION=31680]amleto[/MENTION]: sorry, i didn't see that. how do i move this thread?

for RICE, does it work for long term injuries already? I've had this injury for about half a year or so.

[MENTION=87642]InvincibleAjay[/MENTION]: thanks, i hope you get better too.
    [MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION]: I'm currently 14, almost 15. I'm not quite sure why I'm not healing. I dont think I twisted or sprained it, because my knees and wrist appear fine, but its the movement that pains me.

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

An injury can be both long term and short term.

In your case, it sounds like you are aggravating your long term injuries. If they are painful and "flare up", then RICE may help in the short term.

However, RICE is not the primary treatment for long term injuries. You need more medical attention. As a starting point, I would suggest seeing a physiotherapist.

11. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I don't know if it's just the way insurance is set up here, but the starting point is always with a GP (local physician) in the UK.

12. phili

phili Regular Member

Have you grown quite a bit in a short time? That could be a reason for the knee pain. Unfortunately the only help for this I know is resting.

13. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    for your wrist:

0. stop playing badminton immediately. If you are still in pain after resting for a few days, go see a doctor who will probably prescribe NSAID medication for a few days.

1. try acupuncture for two weeks, with two sessions per week.

2. physiotherapy for two weeks

3. perform the stretching exercise or rehab as maybe recommended by your physiotherapist.

3. resume badminton with a wrist wrap and/or KT tape, as maybe recommended by your physiotherapist.

4. from now on, remember to stretch before and after every time you play badminton.

#13 pcll99, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  14. visor

visor Regular Member

You really should see your doctor again or seek another second opinion. And get some imaging studies done, like x-rays and MRI.

If you didn't have any previous injuries, then your knees should not buckle and feel unstable like that. And your wrist should have healed with time.

Make sure there's not some other more serious illness going on.

15. seagame2001

seagame2001 Regular Member

CNC
    Station bike, swimming and squat free weight and roller foam stretch after exercise

16. toddchaney

toddchaney New Member

Did you try physical therapy? It may help in providing relief from the condition.

17. seagame2001

CNC
    You need to exercise your leg so they muscle getting stronger. I am still do rehab myself now. I know the pain don't play badminton but I did not play badminton at least 6 months now. Right now I can do pistol squat both on my legs. Next month I will squat and dead lift with weight. You need to be patience and exercise. Rest not exercise won't improve your injuries at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I injured my right wrist a few days ago and I stopped using my wrist completely for the next few days (not even writing or brushing teeth with my right hand).

After a few days, the pain is gone.

I don't know why.

19. seagame2001

CNC
    Injured just stop and rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. toddchaney

toddchaney New Member

It might be due to overuse and stopped when you gave rest to the wrist.

pcll99 likes this.