NEWS : Players urged to fight like lions against M'sia

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cups 2004' started by kwun, May 11, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Players urged to fight like lions against M'sia

[font=Arial, Helvetica]

Novan Iman Santosa and Zakki P. Hakim, Jakarta Post

Indonesia's former Thomas Cup hero Hendrawan pleaded with his successors to show a fighting spirit in the quarterfinal match against Malaysia here on Wednesday.

"We have a reputation as a fearsome squad in a team event. But now we don't have the spirit. I just hope it will come out soon," Hendrawan said here before Indonesia's men's team took on New Zealand here on Tuesday.

Indonesia defeated New Zealand 3-0 in the playoff to a earn a place in the quarterfinals against Malaysia.

It will be a repeat of the matchup of the Thomas Cup in Guangzhou two years ago, where they met in the final which Indonesia won to retain the trophy for the fifth consecutive time.

Hendrawan decided the victory with his 8-7, 7-2, 7-1 win over Mohd Roslin Hashim in the competition which used a different scoring system.

He said that the host team should have a fair chance of beating Malaysia.

"I hope the three singles shuttlers can steal at least one point from Malaysia and the doubles must not lose," he said, adding Taufik would be Indonesia's best chance for a point.

Team manager Christian Hadinata said physical fitness and mental strength would count in the match.

"Our line-up will be determined by the shuttlers' physical fitness and mental strength. That's vital to the strategy and tactical employment.

"Wednesday's match is a very important one. All shuttlers will do their best," he said.

While Malaysia retained most of its Guangzhou veterans, the Indonesian team has only Taufik Hidayat, Candra Wijaya and Tri Kusharjanto the old members.

Indonesia seems certain to field its best lineup of Sony Dwi Kuncoro, Taufik and Simon Santoso in the singles.

If Malaysia sticks to its ideal lineup it would be Sony against Wong Choon Han in the first singles. In their previous four matches Sony won one and lost three matches.

Taufik has the upper hand over either Roslin Hashim and Lee Chong Wei to be played, While Simon should have the odds staked against him with Hafiz Hashim.

Malaysian coach Misbun Sidek said that his team would try to take two singles and a doubles to win the match.

"We will do our best by trying to grab the singles and perhaps a doubles match."

Malaysia might expect intimidating shouts from raucous local fans as it did in the past.

But Misbun said that the biggest adversary for his shuttlers was not the Indonesian team nor the home crowd but the Malaysian players themselves.

"My players may say that they are just fine minutes before the important match. But who knows what they really feel?" "I just hope they can overcome their own jinx," he said.
    [/font]