Babolat Gravity 74 and Gravity 78 - REVIEWS

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by InvincibleAjay, Jul 24, 2015.

1. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Babolat Gravity 74

PRODUCT SPECS

Weight - 74g
    Flex - Medium
    Length - 675mm
    Balance point - Super Head Light

PHOTOS

DSC_0247.jpg
    DSC_0248.jpg
    DSC_0249.jpg
    DSC_0250.jpg
    DSC_0251.jpg

RACKET TECHNOLOGY

Ultra Light - Ultra light, it offers substantial movement flexibility.

Slim T
    - 11% drag reduction at the T-joint.

ON COURT

I've played with many super head light rackets in the past and I couldn't help but compare how this performs compared to them. The recent one I played with was the Nanoray 750. This racket is much lighter compared to the 750 so it would be interesting.

I started off with clears, this racket is light!! It flies through the air with ease. One thing to note, you need to have a decent overhead technique as the racket has hardly any weight to help you with regards to achieving distance. The strings were the default ifeel 0.70 and did a decent job. You get a nice accuracy in your shots but need to work harder to achieve the distance if your technique is poor.

This racket has hardly any drag, due to the thin shaft and frame profile, for this reason, dropshots were nice to perform. You get a nice control and weight of the shots and are able to mix things up with slices and reverse slices. I feel it makes up for the lack of head weight by the very fast swing speed. However, I had to adjust my timings as I found the NR750 more responsive compared to this racket.

This racket is quite weak on the smash department, not surprising though due to the super light head weight. My smashes are not the hardest but I was struggling generating good power. Although I was able to perform smashes accurately, I was disappointed by the lack of power. If you are looking for a more all round racket, go for the Satelite or X-Feel range.

This racket is superb mid-court and at the net. Blocks, drives and flat exchanges were a joy. Its really nice to deal damage on the counter when facing smashes or drives. This racket moves extremely well and sometimes you forget you have a racket in your hand, its feel so light and agile. I really enjoyed the control at the net. It dominates all shots, I already have good technique but those that have average netplay technique, this racket might take a bit of getting used to.

VERDICT

Attack 6/10
    Defense 9/10
    Feel/Control 8/10
    Design 7/10

Overall a defensive players ideal racket. Defending smashes and drive is easy with this racket. It lacks power in smashes and from the rear of the court if you don't have a great technique. Don't expect the racket to help you here. It looks pretty good, the matt finish with the Orange detailing is nice.

(Disclaimer: the above review is my opinion, I've tried to remain impartial and have stated any factors like strings and shuttlecocks used, please take this with a pinch of salt and remember we all play differently, the above is intended as a guide only, thanks)

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular.

#1 InvincibleAjay, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  2. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Babolat Gravity 78

PRODUCT SPECS

Weight - 78g
    Flex - Medium
    Length - 675mm
    Balance point - Super Head Light

PHOTOS

DSC_0253.jpg
    DSC_0254.jpg
    DSC_0255.jpg
    DSC_0257.jpg
    DSC_0258.jpg

RACKET TECHNOLOGY

Ultra Light - Ultra light, it offers substantial movement flexibility.

Slim T
    - 11% drag reduction at the T-joint.

ON COURT

I've played with many super head light rackets in the past and I couldn't help but compare how this performs compared to them. The recent one I played with was the Nanoray 750. This racket is much lighter compared to the 750 so it would be interesting. Also I compared this with the Gravity 74 above.

This racket performs very similar to the Gravity 74 above, so the above review is almost identical, the differences though are:

For me, the slightly more racket weight is a bonus and helps this racket in the clears, smashes department. If helps you generate a bit more power compared to the G74 but still not quite as nice as the NR750.

It performs really well mid-court and at the net.

VERDICT

Attack 7/10
    Defense 9/10
    Feel/Control 9/10
    Design 5/10

Overall a good defensive racket, bit better control and attacking compared to the G74. Looks wise I'm not a fan of green and also the matt finish is nice, just don't like the green look.

(Disclaimer: the above review is my opinion, I've tried to remain impartial and have stated any factors like strings and shuttlecocks used, please take this with a pinch of salt and remember we all play differently, the above is intended as a guide only, thanks)

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular.

#2 InvincibleAjay, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    LenaicM likes this.
  3. Arradon

Arradon Regular Member

I got Gravity 78 last week. This is the best racket I found last 6 month, and I tried about 20 models from Yonex / Victor / Li Ning / Carlton. I was looking for a headlight racket and this is the only truth one :)

Broto likes this.
  4. Petersen

Petersen Regular Member

InvincibleAjay Thank's for the great review,, Did you ever test out the N-Tense Blast ?
    My local dealer have some few pieces left on his January sale for the favourable price of around 65€ and also the X-Feel Essentials 90€ it seems to be a no-brainer. it seems to be super flexible and slightly head heavy (Blast) which I'm looking for as replacement racket while my shoulder heal (playing Ice-hockey too :) The idea is to gain swipe power from the wrist :)

InvincibleAjay Could you give me your impression of the difference in power, and maybe the loss of control due to the flex > significant loss in precision - Blast-Essential ?

5. Steff

Steff New Member

I played two Gravity 74 to death in last few years. There is a lack of power when you smash if you are not quick enough to generate strong smash by using speed of this racket. When your arm is quick and you are able to make a spinning smash it is a perfect racket, you can smash strong and it is brilliant in defence too.