New Season (Satellite, Challenger)

Discussion in 'UK' started by sunny, May 12, 2004.

1. sunny

sunny New Member

Senior Sys Developer
    Hello All,

When does the new satellite events start? Does anyone have a calendar for satellite events and challengers for the year 2004 - 2005.

Missed all the satellite tours of 2003-2004 but hope to play 2004 - 2005 season.

Please let me know.

cheers
    sunny

2. fanatic1234

fanatic1234 Regular Member

the calendar is normally decided end of july/beginning of august !

3. sunny

sunny New Member

Senior Sys Developer
    I found the calendar for 2004 - 2005

The following are the dates for Satellite Tours for 2004 - 2005

28th Aug 2004 - Herts
    11th Sep 2004 - Bournemouth
    18th Sep 2004 - Harrogate/Cornwall
    09th Oct 2004 - Wessex
    23rd Oct 2004 - Oxford
    06th Nov 2004 - Jersey
    20th Nov 2004 - Middlesex
    27th Nov 2004 - Hants
    04th Dec 2004 - Wilts
    15th Jan 2005 - Lancs
    22nd Jan 2005 - Berks/Staffs
    29th Jan 2005 - Devon/Cambs
    12th Feb 2005 - Cheshire
    26th Feb 2005 - Suffolk
    05th Mar 2005 - Leics
    26th Mar 2005 - Northum
    09th Apr 2005 - Hull
    16th Apr 2005 - Guernsey

If you want to know the dates for International, Elite, Challenger etc then click on the link below:

http://www.norfolkbadminton.co.uk/pages/index.php?data=calendar

4. skates

skates Regular Member

Designer. Also working with Lee Jae Bok promoting
    New season satellite tournaments

Hi sunny

What level do you play at?

I was thinking about taking part in a few of the Satellite tournaments next season. However, I have heard that the standard is quite high. This years Men's singles Satellite finals feature Daniel Plant currently ranked No 15 in the UK. The other guys in the singles are all ranked in the top 30. The standard in the men's doubles is almost as high. i.e Ian Murphy ranked 27 in the UK, James and Simon White, ranked 48 and 50.

The baofe website describes the Satellite as follows "It is a Grade C Circuit which is suitable for those looking to either start or improve playing at a competitive level"

If a person was a league player looking to have a crack at a few tournaments I wonder if that person might find it a bit of a waste of time. Particularly if there was no plate tournament for any first round losers.

However, If you are playing at County level or higher then go sunny, go!:)

Personally, I might check out the Welsh Seniors Tour ( a new series of tournaments aimed more toward club / league players ). Also I have been thinking about trying some tournaments in France. Again these seem to be a much wider range of tournaments geared for different standards of players.

Failing that, I'll just stick to playing in the league and maybe do a few Vets :)

Best regards

Skates

5. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Herts and Oxford are likely to feature higher standard players than Bournemouth, Cornwall./ Cornwall is particularly low in standard and offers a plate event.

The fact that even elit eplayers can play on the satellite circuit is a definite problem that I have pointed out to the baofe in the past. But if you are of top club/low county standard have a go

6. woop.

woop. Regular Member

Well it's not going to stop me going in for mens doubles events next season.

Went to one Welsh Senior Series event, the Bangor Open, about a month ago. But frankly it was not well run. It was good in that it featured a group stage to start. However it was bad in that each match consisted of a single game to 15. Very difficult and not much fun.

However we got through our group but then came up against the number one seeds (apparently) in the knockout stage and went straight out. Again it was a single game to 15 so it wasn't really that enjoyable.

As I say though, we are gearing up for satellite next season.

7. sunny

sunny New Member

Senior Sys Developer
    >>Hi sunny
    >>What level do you play at?

Hi Skates,

I play at club level. My game standard is not high. I haven't played over 5 years now and I'm sort of trying to do a come back to the sport.

>>This years Men's singles Satellite finals feature Daniel Plant currently >>ranked No 15 in the UK. The other guys in the singles are all ranked in the >>top 30. The standard in the men's doubles is almost as high. i.e Ian Murphy >>ranked 27 in the UK, James and Simon White, ranked 48 and 50.

I'm sure I will get murdered in the court 15-0, 15-0 if I'm drawn against those top seeds but I'll give my best to be a good loser :D

>>Personally, I might check out the Welsh Seniors Tour ( a new series of >>tournaments aimed more toward club / league players ).

Where can I find calendar for the Welsh Senior Tours? Is it also 21 tournaments a season?

>>Herts and Oxford are likely to feature higher standard players than >>Bournemouth, Cornwall./ Cornwall is particularly low in standard and offers >>a plate event.

hello dlp,

Which other satellite tours offer plate events?

>>The fact that even elit eplayers can play on the satellite circuit is a >>definite problem that I have pointed out to the baofe in the past.

Yes its a bit of a bummer. But its also good for players of my standard to have a go at top seeds and being an Underdog against those top seeds I haven't got anything to lose :p

8. skates

skates Regular Member

Hi sunny

I hear what you say and I admire your fighting spirit. Maybe I'll take dlp's advise
    and try the Bournmouth and Cornwall Satellite events later this year.

You can get info on the Wales Senior Tour from the Welsh BA website.

http://www.welshbadminton.net/website/index2.htm

Don't know how many tournaments they are running.

Good luck in the tournaments. Let us all know how you get on.

9. sunny

sunny New Member

Senior Sys Developer
    Guys,

Welshbadminton.net website doesn't look that good. Being a "Senior Systems Developer" I would love to voluntary to design and develop a dynamic website for them, If only they could allow me to do so. I always want to contribute to the "World of Badminton" and this could be something that I could start with :)

Any software developers or graphic designers hang out in this forum?

I think I will create an "Open Source Community" website dedicated only for badminton. I could create a rock solid web application using ASP.NET/C# using SQL Server database.

what do you guys think? any ideas or suggestions please?

10. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    You've seen badders.com obviuosley?

I think the welshbadminton site is functional though basic, it does contain a forum which the baofe site lacks.

the cornwall is the only event I know with a plate.

The mixed at cornwall is played in groups

11. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Hampshire had a plate in 2002, but MS started on Friday evening and the plate was on Saturday. So if you go out in the first round you've got to hand around for another day.

Don't know if it is still like that.

12. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    go for it mate, i run a site for my league - it's pretty basic at the moment, but it's my baby - i'm not a big MS fan so i use PHP and MySQL. I'm always adding things to it. it's the off season now so i'm working on being able to upload fixtures from a spreadsheet.

neway drop me a PM is you want to work together on badders site - i'd be interested in helping out, altho ur prolly a bit more talented than i :D

back to the topic - i've only ever played in two satellite events, both times getting drawn against the 1st see, Stephen Mumby and Matt Shuker - got flattened both times - not great when you travel a great distance, pay a big entry fee, just to get thrashed in one game. i still try, but i'm not as keen as i used to be - if i could find a MD or XD partner who was local i would prolly enter those events as they're more my game.

good luck for anybody who enters this season

13. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Mumby and Shuker would be two very bad draws in satellites Coops, most satellites are won by players of lesser quality.

At Cornwall you get a mixture of Cornish club /county players (county bottom 2 divisions standard), some sw vets, some local juniors, then some better players from Devon, Wilts, Hamps etc.

The WHite brothers contested the final last year I beleive, and got to maybe the qtrs in doubles, probably about 6 pairs of good county standard, really one of the easiest events, any good club player would not feel out of place.:)

14. skates

skates Regular Member

Satellite events

Hi dlp

The Cornwall event sounds Ok. I might give that a go. According to Sunny's list
    it's scheduled for 18th September. Do you know if any of the Satellite events have a Vets section? Or do you know of any good Vets tournaments generally?

Skates

15. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    aye - certainly were bad draws..

i think living up north predisposes me to hard tournaments since lancs and yorkshire are the strongest counties, derbyshire isn't bad either.

mebbe i should move down south :D

apparently the welsh tournaments were very good in terms of even standards - no really strong players and no really weak ones so it might be worth doing those...

after spending all summer on the treadmill getting super fit :D

16. fanatic1234

fanatic1234 Regular Member

ther is quite alot of satellites to play so if your willing to travel to a few of the weaker ones im sure you will have a nice draw !

17. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    No vets in satelite events but there are several vets tournaments, contact the baofe for a diary

18. woop.

woop. Regular Member

From the recent Bangor Open on the WSS I can confirm that the standard was good club/county, but certainly not anything ridiculously special. It also had the advantage of starting with a group, so you were guaranteed a few games.

And coops, no treadmill for us down here, our coach is giving us an absolute hellish time with fitness training for the first part of the close season. My legs are killing today.

19. sunny

sunny New Member

Senior Sys Developer
    I'm planning to participate the Welsh Tournaments and atleast 5-7 satellite tours. I will choose all the weaker satellite tours so that I can atleast move to the second round.

I'm 29 and will I be able to participate in the Vets? I think the minimum age limit for vets is 40 or something. I don't have a clue what is the minimum age limit for vets.

>>back to the topic - i've only ever played in two satellite events, both times >>getting drawn against the 1st see, Stephen Mumby and Matt Shuker - got >>flattened both times - not great when you travel a great distance, pay a >>big entry fee, just to get thrashed in one game.

I know what you mean. I got slaughtered many times like this before and it is very discouraging. :( Satellite is suppose to be Grade 'C' tours and don't know what all those Grade 'A' players get by playing Grade 'C' tours. Do they play these tours for Points or fun or experience?

>>ther is quite alot of satellites to play so if your willing to travel to a few of >>the weaker ones im sure you will have a nice draw !

That's my plan too. May even come home with a trophy :D

>>no treadmill for us down here, our coach is giving us an absolute hellish >>time with fitness training for the first part of the close season. My legs are >>killing today.

woop,
    who is your coach? does he do any summer training camps? I need some advice on physical training and "round the head smashes". I often end with stomach pain after those shots and I don't call my round the head smashes as smashes they are basically fast drops :)

20. woop.

woop. Regular Member

I'm coached by Sara Sankey (who is a fantastic coach). I don't think she does any camps to speak of. However I know at the National Badminton Centre (where she does the majority of her coaching) they sometimes have weekends for clubs/groups. I suppose that is a camp of sorts isn't it. Contact the NBC for information, or the BAofE since they are based at the same place.

Fitness wise our sessions comprise of drills of court work followed by off court exercise. For instance 32 shuttles (say alternating smash and net shots) followed by 20 burpees. You go straight between the court and off court stuff without a break, and do 3 rotations (so 96 shuttles and 60 burpees). Then you DO get a rest (thankfully) before going onto the next drill, comprising of some different shots on court and a different exercise inbetween. It's very hard work but I wouldn't have it any other way.