Take off old grip or leave it on??

Discussion in 'Grip' started by matt-nick, Jul 29, 2015.

1. matt-nick

matt-nick New Member

Electrical Engineer
    Right then folks, my new, very bright (Orange) karakal super pu grips have arrived, should I remove my old grip before replacing or simply go over the top of original grip? Cheers in advance

2. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

do not remove the original grip

3. matt-nick

matt-nick New Member

Electrical Engineer
    Any reason I particular why you should leave the original on? And thanks for the reply

4. Caffrey

Caffrey Regular Member

Lawyer
    So it's all preference:

Some players prefer thinner grips because you can feel the response from your racket better. For example when I net I use the feeling of the vibration that the stringbed feeds into the racket to judge how I should modify my next net shot (or not). In general you just feel your racket more and it feels a lot more maneuverable like an extension of your arm.

Some players like thicker grips because their hands are bigger or they find it more comfortable. I have also found that thicker grips make the racket feel lighter. Generally they are more comfortable.

So it really all depends on your preference. Some people get enough feel from just the original grip or the original + a super grap, some people like to take it all off, and some people like big grips. Personally I find that a good tweener is the original off with 2 super graps wrapped on the wood.

Note that you can also wrap the super grap thinner or thicker ariound the shaft to your preference. I have one thin super grap under one thicker super grap on my racket

5. Caffrey

Caffrey Regular Member

Lawyer
    Also it is important to note that if you only put one grip on after you take off the original grip there is a chance that sweat can seep through and damage the wood. Therefore I recommend you place plastic/hockey take around the shaft before you do so.

However I don't do this and I don't have a problem but I'm sponsored so if I break a racket I just get a new one :D

6. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

because it can damage the racket over time (sweat creeps into the wood)

as far as my experience goes it is thin enough with one layer of chosen grip over the original grip

maybe some guys are using superthick overgrips ...then it would be too thick to handle..but there are enough thin grips out there

7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I used towelgrips directly on wood and since a half year just one supergrip on wood. I had never issues with broken handles and every racket is 4+ years old. I air them after every session and change them very frequent. Maximum 2 weeks which means 6-8 sessions.
    Thick grips are only for people with really large hands. I would remove the original grip. The Karakal Super PU is a thick grip and with too thick grips it's difficult to play well. Especially doubles. Grip chances and finger power become more difficult because you can't feel the bevels and control the racket during fast and flat game play. I never met a coach who suggests thick grips. IMO it's bad for your technique if you are under 1,95m and use 2 replacement grips.

8. matt-nick

matt-nick New Member

Electrical Engineer
    So the best thing for me to do is go over my original grip even though there is excessive wearing?

And lucky you being sponsored, sign me up even though I suck lol . My racket is so old you can't get it anymore haha. Olympus combat t. Don't even know if it's rated any good lol. Nice and light.

I appreciate everyone's input ☺️

9. matt-nick

matt-nick New Member

Electrical Engineer
    Ucantseeme I like your input, it's hard to decide what to do as so many have said keep it on and then a few have said take t off. And I don't think I'd like it thick whic is making me think about removing it. But then again I'm not the type of player to
    Use it more than once a week and so
    I wouldn't change the grip very often. In which case would my racket be better off with two grips (original and new)

10. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    [MENTION=123596]matt-nick[/MENTION] No problem it's up to you and I understand that you are not sure what to do but just a small question: Why do you think are replacement grips called replacement grips?
    I change my grips so frequent because I play around 12 hours per week splitted in four sessions and sweat alot. Since I use just an overgrip, it's worn down after this time for me, but I'm also very sensitive. I think you mustn't change your grip so often. To be on the safe side you can insulate the wood with electric tape before you put your grip on.

11. holhm22

holhm22 Regular Member

Student
    Hey, I like using a thinner grip, so what should I do after I take off the original grip before I add my final layer which is the overgrip?

12. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Either you just use overgrip on wood (which is harsh to me), or,

Add cushion wrap below it then the overgrip. Yonex AC380 and Victor GR-50 for your consideration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. matt-nick

matt-nick New Member

Electrical Engineer
    I'm trying to upload a picture of my current grip that's worn a fair bit. But I can't seem to upload anything. The grip itself when used leaves your hand black haha.

14. matt-nick

matt-nick New Member

Electrical Engineer
    Ucantseeme, so you suggest changing the grip but putting electrical tape or self amalgamating tape or even cushion wrap under the new grip? Also, as you play 12 hours per weeks and I play one per week sometimes not even that, I won't need to change my grip as often will I?

15. matt-nick

matt-nick New Member

Electrical Engineer
  16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Uuuhhhh... that is seriously gross! Are you trying to grow your own mushrooms on your racket grip?! ;)

Do yourself (and all the other players that you shake hands with after a match...) a favour and just rip that... thing... off and put on any basegrip of your choice. Your hand will instantly feel like it's in heaven! It makes no sense at all to keep this partly living piece of cloth on your grip.

Out of interest - how long have you been using this specific grip?

Saru likes this.
  17. matt-nick

matt-nick New Member

Electrical Engineer
    S_mair I like your response lol. Well I have used it once in this condition. Basically, this is the racket I played with when I was around 14-15 and in now 25 so it been sitting around for about 10 years lol and it's the original grip I had on the racket (never been changed before). I don't think it's actually growing anything just the rubbery grip has worn away To nothing lol. Would you advise putting any type of tape on the racket handle before applying the karakal grip? The racket itself is in excellent condition for its age.

18. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Interesting, so that's how a grip looks like after 5(?) years of use and 10 years in a closet. :rolleyes:

If you want to go with a typical Karakal PU basegrip (the thick ones with self-adhesive tape on the back) then I don't see an advantage to put anything between the wood of the handle and the grip. Only make sure to let the racket handle dry for a couple of hours after a sweaty session. And now I hope you take the right safety measures when removing the old grip... better be safe than sorry...

781290_1_fff_ebola_schutzanzug_23_4c.jpg

19. matt-nick

matt-nick New Member

Electrical Engineer
    Liking that, I will take great measure in ensuring the safety of myself and those around me when stripping off the old grip haha. And as stated previously, I will only use it for around an hour per week so as long as I leave it air out after words I should not encounter any problems right?

Thanks for everyone's input ☺️

20. holhm22

holhm22 Regular Member

Student
    Do you know where I could get these for a good price online?