Damn F***ing Noobs

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by tonny_hawk, Jul 31, 2015.

1. tonny_hawk

tonny_hawk Regular Member

Sorry for my thread name. But it may get attention from you to reply my question.:D

So i am a noobs (newbie). Start playing badminton just month a go. But i like this game since i was in midschool. And now want to serious playing with my friends. Not for being athlete just competition between best friends. So straight to the point.

1. I need a racket (of course) as a newbie player maybe a a beginner or intermediate level racket will be good. Don't need a expert level (expensive and expert racket doesn't make me a pro player as it said in other thread). Is there any recommendation for me?
    info :
    - i am 27 YO
    - i am more like play in single but do double sometimes.
    - i don't know because newbie or not, i am more play with wrist.
    - any brand is good. but prefer yonex because more easier got it in my country.
    - i already have yonex voltric d33(4U,G5). Because the weight of the grip, the BP changed to control and using DG80 power (24lbs tension). So it's feel like defensive racket even it said heavy head. So maybe now im looking for offensive racket.
    - any price is good for me.

2. i know this section for racket thread only. But may i little bit OOT. I want to asking about recommended shoes. I'm looking for durability and quality. But if it can lower that 80USD it would be awesome. even though it seem imposible :p

Thanks for all your attention. and please help this noobs. :D

2. tonny_hawk

Sorry forgot to mention. Please give racket recommendation with type of string and the tension. thanks a lot. :)

3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I think that your used racket is ok for the first year of serious play. No racket change it's head weight and if you use 10 overgrips on a ZF with a changed balance point to 270mm, the mass of the head is still around 47g. Just the feel change but the racket characteristics are still the same. If you play plastics 24lbs might be too high for you. For feather it might be ok, but also on the high side for your level. IMO buying a new racket yet in your situation is the best way to burn some money.

4. tonny_hawk

Thanks a lot for your opinion. I really appreciate it. :)
    I always using feather since its not so expensive here. less than 5 USD/pack can get quiet good quality and around 8 USD/pack for almost great quality.
    And may you can give me recommendation also for the shoes?

5. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Selamat siang,

I'm this kind of person which buy only high end shoes and change them frequently to prevent injuries. 80USD is not much for a decent pair of shoes. About Yonex, I can say their shoes are great. Good cushion and really comfortable, but they are worn out fast and most of them offer IMO not the best support. I use Victor shoes for years. A bit more pricey but they last for me around 8 month. Li Ning have also decent shoes, but here in Germany they are not widely available. A good buy for your value of money are Asics. But only Blade, Blast, Sensei and Progressive. About other brands I can say much. A friend of mine swear by Mizuno, but I never owned a pair. Other brands I can't recommend, because I never used them. If you can get a pair of Victor SH A850 at discount, go for it. In Asia it's actually on sale.

6. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Hi Tonny_hawk,

As ucantseeme said and I believe firming, one thing you should spend good money on is good shoes. I personally would recommend Yonex, Adidas and Babolat. I have used them all in the past. Yonex IMO offer the best cushioning. Adidas make some decent shoes and you might be able to get them in your budget. Babolat Shadow 2 is my current shoes I am using, nice fit but less cushioning compared to my Yonex SHB87LTD.

With regards to racket, the Voltric D33 is a good racket for a beginner/improver. Stick with it and improve your hitting technique, you will see it is an offensive racket. I have this racket in my collection and if you really want to try another nice racket in a similar price bracket, try the Voltric Zeus, an excellent racket for the price. Good luck!

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

7. tonny_hawk

Schönen Abend noch,

I try looking for asics at online shop in indonesia, it seem quite hard to find it. But the upside is Li Ning is easy to find in here. May you know any recommend shoes from Li Ning? I little bit confuse, some people write it Li-Ning and other is Lining. Is this same brand?(sorry I'm noob). And i see in here like yonex ultima 01 or ultima 87 pro is kinda cheap in here, do you know any review for that shoes?
    But i think victor SH A850 is a good option.

Thanks for your reply. Babolat is kinda hard to find in here. And Adidas have price almost like expensive yonex in here.
    I think about the racket i will follow ucantseeme and your opinion. And practice to improve my power. Since my smash not so strong.hahhhhaha

8. InvincibleAjay

Badminton Coach
    Fair enough, Adidas are pretty competitive in UK and Europe.

Yes Lining and Li-Ning are the same thing. Good luck.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    If two men agree on everything, you may be sure that one of them is doing the thinking.

9. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    [MENTION=123636]tonny_hawk[/MENTION]

You can find here a thread about the ultima series. You can browse this forum. To make it short: The ultima are replicas which don't have the quality of the original one. Most people would agree that these shoes are not good quality and lack in terms of comfort and cushion.
    You can also use Flypower. Must be very easy to get at your loaction. A friend of mine said that they are good. Please spend any penny you can spend for your pair of good badminton shoes. IMO it's hardly possible to save money when it comes to shoes, and you will always get more if you spend more. Just my experience.

10. tonny_hawk

Thanks for your info about it. it help me a lot.

Thanks for your advise. And i believe experience come with cost (time or money). So i will take your advise. Thanks a lot.
    I think for now i will take victor SH A850. Since the price in here maybe just around 100USD or less.

Thanks [MENTION=59291]ucantseeme[/MENTION] and [MENTION=87642]InvincibleAjay[/MENTION] . You guys are the best.

11. InvincibleAjay

Badminton Coach
    You are welcome, post back to see how you got on and how you are improving. Good luck!

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    If two men agree on everything, you may be sure that one of them is doing the thinking.