String tension for thick and thin gauge.

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by john1994, Aug 2, 2015.

1. john1994

john1994 Regular Member

Compare bg 65 and bg 66 ultimax, Let say if I string BG 66 Ultimax at 27lb, Do I string thicker string at same tension 27 or more or less? or same? to get the same feel and power etc.

2. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    String the thicker one higher I believe

3. Stealthking

Stealthking Regular Member

I would say probably go about 2 Lbs higher for the BG65, but unfortunately, you will never really get the same feel and power from the BG65 as it is a somewhat different feeling string compared to the BG66... in my humble opinion...

I have used both BG65 and BG66 Ultimax and regardless of tension settings, I cant get them to feel similar.

4. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    As Stealthking say quite rightly, it doesn't matter if you string the thicker string higher, the feel and control will be much different than a thinner gauge string and you won't be able to replicate it.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    To achieve the impossible dream, try going to sleep.

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO both choices are not great, because both are the best known strings from YY for tension loss and both feel really dull after 1 week. I think that your intention is that you used 66UM@27 and broke too frequent that you now want to choose BG65 for more durability, right? I think that BG80 should fit the bill at 28. Should last around 20-30 hours with feathers according to my database. IMO you won't gain anything if you use BG65, because you need to crank it really up. FME 2lbs is not enough. 3-4lbs is a must to get an equal feel. Best alternative is to get 2 reels of Zymax 65 and a good stringing machine. Must be around 500US for 40 jobs, if you want to learn something and have time. IMO the best investment if you need more than 10 restrings per year. I'm actually at around 10-15 and the season didn't started yet.

#5 ucantseeme, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  6. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    For a long time it was suggested that thicker strings should be strung tighter than thinner strings for the same result/feeling. However, studies concerning tennis have shown that string gauge has almost no impact on stringbed stiffness. The perception that thinner strings play tighter probably comes from the fact that thin strings usually have a harder feeling than thick strings.

If you switch from a harder feeling string to a soft feeling one, you should probably increase the tension, but you'll only know what the right amount is for you by trial and error.