Gade-Christensen to bring juniors for Malaysian stint

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ants, May 12, 2004.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    JAKARTA: DENMARK'S top singles player Peter Gade-Christensen will be in Malaysia from Sept 5-19 with 30 juniors in an effort to groom future Danish players.

The players, between the ages of 14 and 18, will spar and train with those from the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM), who are based at the Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS).

Gade-Christensen said that the joint training programme would be a great exposure and experience for the young Danes.

“I started this talent project and have a group of players, called Team Attack, two-and-half years ago,” said the world number six.

“Then I was injured and I had time on my hands. I realised that there was a gap between the current group of national players and the juniors.”

He added that the stint in Malaysia would be the first in Asia for his group of juniors.

“We train once a week, every Sunday, for three hours. It is voluntary work and I have two other coaches helping me out. We have been to Spain before (two years ago) but this is the first time that we will be going to an Asian country,” said the 27-year-old Gade-Christensen.

The lanky Dane said he hoped to be a role model for his young players.

“I am also the advisor for this group of players. I coach and train them on how to become professional players,” he said.

“I share with them my experiences and sacrifices and motivate them to be good players. Hopefully, when they are 18, they will be ready to join the national team. There are now two or three players with the potential to make it.”

Gade-Christensen was happy to get the co-operation from the BAM.

“The BAM have been very helpful. I have been in Kuala Lumpur many times and I am use to the climate and conditions,” he said.

“For some of my group of young players, it will be their first trip to an Asian country and it will certainly be good exposure and experience for them.”

On whether he was on a profit-making venture in dealing with a group of youngsters, Gade-Christensen said: “We do not make money and all this is done in the greater interest of the future of Danish badminton.

“A player has to pay a fee of US$450 (RM1,700) for the first half year but the money is all spent on them.”

TheStar

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    That's great......Gade is a great guy with a warm heart......I really wish that Someone would do the same in Taiwan as well....... :(

(no....I don't think there is any hope.....)

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Its a great way to expose the youth. I also hope that Bam will also send their youths for sparring in countries like China and Indonesia.

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    This is a very noble endeavour, one that sees the big picture and with no aim whatever of enriching himself monetary.

5. ants

ants Regular Member

If you bless others, the blessings will come back to you 100 fold.

6. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

Indeed, I can't agree more. Hopefully he gets what he deserves soon, real soon.

7. BoboTheBadder

BoboTheBadder Regular Member

Student
    Peter Gade is such a nice guy :D