700RP strung higher than recommended woops! Danger danger?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Cyanide Ride, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Cyanide Ride

Cyanide Ride New Member

Hello everyone,

I've recently decided to switch back to a light/light racquet from my 4U VT80 in hopes my defense gets better while I am building up my strength.

I unwittingly requested my old 3U 700RP to be strung at ~26lbs (everywhere I've googled, states 23-24 is the highest)

I've been playing for a few club nights (6 session of almost three hours total) and have had two clashes.

My question is am I in danger of breaking the racquet? Should I cut the strings and have it restrung at a lower weight or plow through?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice,

2. Cyanide Ride

Cyanide Ride New Member

Did not see the sticky at the top.

Thanks guys :)

/noob

3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    No racket is indestructable when it comes to clashs. Regardless if you use 21lbs or 31lbs. FME you aren't in danger with your tension but you are in danger with your choosen partner if you clash that often. I have pushed 30 USD YY rackets to 30/31lbs and they live today (2 years ago). I play also overclocked rackets, but I clash rarely. Maybe once or less in 40 hours playing. IMO the overclocking is no problem for most rackets, but the clashs.

4. Cyanide Ride

Cyanide Ride New Member

Hi ucantseeme, thank you for the reply!

Yes, most definitely.

It was my first time playing with him ans a partner and his footspeed is many levels above mine and much more aggressive.

I'll keep my distance next club night :)

5. hannster

hannster Regular Member

Principal Architect
    I strung my NR700RP at 28 pounds 2 years ago and it's still good as new.

However, I wouldn't string it at 28 pounds again as it doesn't benefit from it. (stiff, and not head heavy enough to benefit from a tight string-bed). 25lbs or 26 (as in your case) would have been ideal, at least for me.

You probably won't break this racket unless you (or your partner, in the case of a bad clash) really wanted to. While it's head light, it has a thicker frame in side profile.

6. Cyanide Ride

Cyanide Ride New Member

Thank you for the reassurance hannster.

Once I adjusted to the difference in the way the racquet moves, I felt much better and more confident using it.

7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO their is no rule how high you go for a headlight racket. An example: Kamilla Rytter Juhl who run her NR800 at 32/34 with BG80 and she has a really decent smash. It's more a question of level and technique instead a question of the racket type.

8. hannster

hannster Regular Member

Principal Architect
    Very true. Which is why I said "at least for me"... specific only to my humble needs.

And at 5'7", I'm about exactly half the height of Kamilla, which probably also factors into the smash :)

9. Cyanide Ride

Cyanide Ride New Member

Alot of info regarding what racquet/string is best for you is based on your skillset and/or playing style.

I still have no real idea how I am, I want to be a finisher/power player but lack the stamina due to a medical condition that had me sidelined for a few years.

When I try to be a finesse player, I am not accurate enough (yet)

It's a funny thing because the person I sold my Z Force 2 has been playing with no issues, yet when I had it (BG80@ 26lbs) I really wanted to like this racquet but I broke strings on it every week.

I went back to my VT80 (BG80@ 26lbs) I had no issues.

Now back to my 700RP, defensively, my reactions are much better and I retained my smash power.

Sometimes it's the racquet, most times, it's the player :)

Thanks for all the advice guys, very much appreciated!

10. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

From my point of view, what type of player you are is determined by the style of play (offense/defense/counter-attack/control/...) you feel comfortable with and/or are good at.

If you want to have another style for any reason you just have to practice. LCW wasn't a natural offensive player when he started playing internationally. :)