Reviews on yesterday games Malaysia Vs Indonesia

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cups 2004' started by pptam, May 12, 2004.

1. pptam

pptam Regular Member

Senior Executive
    HI everyone,

I was eating my popcorn while watching choon han vs Sony and I spilled my popcorn when he lost.

When Choon Han lost, I know it is difficult for Malaysia to enter the semifinal.

Yesterday he was not performing at his level, I am sure about that.

ABout the arrangement do you think if Lee CHong Wei vs Taufik for second singles instead of Roslin, will the story become different?

I am hoping Malaysia can win and I can get one day holiday on next Monday.... :rolleyes:

2. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

base in Spore, heart at wherever Lin Dan n Xuanze
    Taufik played very well yesterday.... tat's something similar to how he played in ABC.... though not as exciting as during ABC....

home ground, plus lots of supporters to boost his confidence.... n he was in good form yesterday......... i think Taufik can win even if the opponent is Lee CW.... :)

3. mirrura

mirrura Regular Member

part time dreamer
    Yes, I agree with HongHong...Taufik is really very good when he is focused. Roslin doesn't seem to have any chance against him at all.

No doubt Choong Hann is the key of success for the msian team but he somehow seemed to suffer from some "jinxed" that night. :cool: I donno...he chose to play a rally game rather than an attacking game...it was so disappointing that he lost just like that. Sony was really good with his cross-court smash though.

Doubles players? as we all know already...great fighting spirit shown by KKK but still, made quite a number of unforced errors. But despite having all the effort to climb up the hill after trailing 6-13, it was still not enough for the msian pair to get a point for the team.

Still, msian team is really not good enough to win against indonesian team yet. Donno when they'll be able to reach the top again. :confused:

4. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

i'm quite surprised to Wong CH's performance at the 2nd set.... though i've never watch him play before.... but he just don seems right... as if he is giving away the game.... quite wasted :(

the 2nd doubles is so exciting.... the scores were so close.... n the speed they play..... wow... i think i really need some heart attacking pills for semi-finals n finals

i'm sure semi-finals n finals will be much more exciting n heart-attacking :p

5. Jofianty

Jofianty Regular Member

Sony did his job very well, 2 thumbs up for Sony.
    Actually I'm quite surprised when I saw taufik performance yesterday, the way he played was different compare to the match when he played with Bao.
    If taufik can keep his form, I think Bao will be in big trouble when they meet again in Final.
    The most exciting match is the 2nd double == like Hong Hong said "really need some heart attacking pills" he…he..he…

6. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

hahahha.... i think tat should be taufik's usual performance.... maybe the car park incident affect him tat day, tat's y he lost???

7. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Misbun keeps saying Malaysia were underdogs and had little chance but Indonesia are weaker than they have been for years.

Malaysia came into this event with only one fit established doubles pair. They have failed in the last few years to develop any younger pairs to the world class level, you can't expect a scratch pair of a veteran and youngster to beat Flandi /Eng who have been a top 5 pair for years.

Malaysia have had many talented singles players in recent years, they have a world silver medallist and an AE champion, when was the last time Malaysia could say that, however these players seem inconsistent and mentally weak.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    remember last time when Malaysia played China in Guang Zhou? The M'sian team were heros for the night!

I agree that M'sia were the underdogs. Didn't people expect them to lose? :confused:

9. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

I agree with your assessment of Malaysia dlp. Malaysia should have beaten Indonesia yesterday, but they blew it through the singles :( . However, I am very happy to note that we have a bright young talent in KKK. He is really good and if not for Chew's unforced erros, they could have beaten Flandy and Eng Hian. There was no shame in yesterday's defeat to indonesia.

Another thing to note here is that from yesterday's performance, I don't think either team will be able to make it pass Denmark anyway.

10. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Yes, I would agree to that. Denmark would steamroll past either of them.

Still, the cup is China's for the taking. That would really make Li Yongbo more accommodating to foreign press.

11. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Cheung, I expected Malaysia to lose, however I think it was their best chance on paper in recent years.

Looking forwards although Indonesian badminton has been in decline Kuncoro, Santoso should have their best years still to come and Taufik can improve if he sorts out his problems.

On the Malaysian side only Lee Chong Wei is upcoming, all of the other singles seem to be in decline, or nearing career end (WCH), even the young Hafiz is struggling.

On the doubles side Hadiyanto/Alven look to be a force for years to come and Kidho/Setiawan who will make an impact soon. So even if the great six players Wijaya, Haryanto, Flandi, Eng, Halim, Tri Kush are retired the future of Indo doubles looks good.

The Malaysians need to see Gan/Koo become a top ten pair in the next year since both their established pairs will be unlikely to be at the top in two years.

Possibly the future of Indonesian badminton looks brighter than Malaysian once the existing players start to retire?

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Each nation has its strong and lean periods.

Are we seeing the long heralded, often promised, but failed to deliver domination of China in the men's game?

One thing for sure, the relative equality in standards of the game at the moment is causing nailbiting suspense in the TC. Should be good for the game overall.:)

Chan Chong Ming is still young! Isn't he 24 years old or so? :eek:

13. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Cheung you're right ,| didn't realise there such an age difference ... Chew is 28 his month where as Chan is only 24. Ok so possibly a change of partner for Chan in next two years....

It is so level now between the top five, China's mens doubles are great, Malaysia mens doubles have been better this year, Denmark have Gade back plus two brilliant doubles pairs, Korea singles is not so bad, three in the top 20.

If only the womens game was half as unpredictable!!

Maybe we should have a sticky on the forum: Members please remember there is a womens team event as well! :)

14. knighthood23

knighthood23 Regular Member

I agreed with Cheung.

Each nation has its strong and lean periods.

But i seems like Malaysia Badminton is getting worst and worst.

From what I can see, Lee Chong Wei and Koo Kien Kiat have brighter future. The rest of the players seems like strugging. Especially Hafiz after he won the All England.

15. cheekygen

cheekygen Regular Member

Actually the Indonesia Thomas Cup Team is so much weaker compare to two years ago...... They have young coming up singles of Sony and Simon, only Taufik is experienced one. While doubles , they are not as strong and unbeatable like two years ago. This is proven by their lost to China by 5-0. Even they lost to China but it will be a different story if they were to meet in the final where the pressure is totally on the China side. Therefore they are underdog and Indonesian players are infamous with their team spirit and never say die attitude , they have a better chance if they were to meet China again in the final.

On the other hand, Misbun took the gamble where he calculated that if Malaysia lost to Thailand , they have to face Korea which is more balance than Indonesia in single and doubles and even they win Korea, Malaysia have to face China in the semifinal which is not easy. Therefore, the highest possibility to secure Malaysia to final is to play against Indonesia and If they win , they will meet Denmark. But unfortunately, Malaysia lost to Indonesia to make it twice Malaysia unable to enter semifinal since Thomas Cup 2000.

Something isn't right with the Malaysian singles players recently where they suffered a down in form especially during the ABC championship. Misbun is very clever in shifting the pressures and excusses when his players couldn't perform. He said that Malaysia only had 30% chances against the Indonesian. Certainly he had a lot to answer when he come back . Choong Hann is a great player and it is a waste to see him perform inconsistent because he has a good chance to win an medal in the Olympic Games.

The doubles players shown a good team spirit and fighting spirit whereas the singles were tense an nervous. Choong Hann might feel the tremendous pressure because he knows that if he lose his match , Malaysia's chances to win is low.

16. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Yeah, I agree. Hafiz should be on top of the world now, or near the top at least :) . But what we are seeing today is anything but that. If Hafiz does not buck up now, Malaysia is going to loose one of its brightest potential for singles.

KKK needs a decent partner, Chew is getting old and Gan is not as good, perhaps Chan will be good. From what I saw from KKK, he needs more power but his reflexes is fantastic. I remember one shot where he is already on the ground but still picking up shots, just brilliant. Also, I think KKK is only 19. Chan has the power to be with KKK.

As for Lee CW, he needs more power and aggressiveness, more Choong Hann, though not the Choong Hann we saw yesterday against Sony :p .

17. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Another thing I saw worth metioning during yesterdays 2nd doubles tie between Ina and Mal.

Towards the end of second set when KKK/Chew were staging their tremendous fightback, they were both so pumped up. When they were getting ready to receive serve, both of them were jumping very slightly (sort of like hopping) up and down in tandem, just wonderful to watch.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Although M'sians will naturally feel disappointed at the loss, remember the priorities - Olympic games. It's not far away (only 3 months). To get your players peaking twice in 3 months must be very difficult (you try taking University finals exams twice in 3 months...even professional students would not perform to their best :D )

Lee WW and Choong TF did well. There was a risk Lee could not even perform after his injury in the ABC. The decision for him to play that time carrying an injury was very risky indeed (IMHO)

If you want to condemm Misbun, best do it after the Olympics. But why BAM let Indra go in the first place.... :confused:

19. cheekygen

cheekygen Regular Member

I totally agree with what Mr. Cheung mentioned above....... Malaysian will face an uphill task in Olympic Games in three months time.

Even before TC,BAM president already stated that TC is not their main target but Olympic and that he will not be disappointed if Malaysia fail to win the cup. I think the TC and Olympic is equally important . Thomas Cup represented the nation's team where there is strong line-up of balance players while Olympic represented by individualy.

As for the Indra leaving BAM, he actually face a lot of competition and envy from the local coaches who go against him especially the double coach. If you notice, in that year, all the team events Malaysia single players often delivers but the doubles failed. BAM did offer to extend his contract but Indra point out few conditions that seems to criticising the BAM's management system and offended the officials. Therefore his contract was not extended and many of the singles player protested and even have a meeting to fight for Indra to stay but failed. Among players who perform brightly under Indra such as Lee Tsuen Seng, Ismail Samad, Sairul Amar, Ong Ewe Hock, suffered a down fall and leave BAM and train under KIA.

There might be result after Misbun take over the players from Indra but men singles are no longer the same. in short, the presence of Indra reunited them and taught them to have a spirit as a team, as a family and there is always communication between the players and the coach. I can see the difference of before and after Indra left the team. I have no intention of condemning him in any way :eek: , however, i think he is very smart in handling issues and press statement, and when to avoid sensitive statements compare to other coaches. Therefore, his statement give public the impression of he is doing the right thing all the time. This i think he deserve to be a chief coach because that's what chief coach do :eek:

20. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    I think it's rather early to say this. In individual events, Indonesian players may seem to be lower than the Danes but there's always a strange factor in team events like this to the Indonesians. Even throughout its 13 victories of Thomas Cup, Indonesia had been the underdog a couple of times.

I'd say it's 50-50 though.

Aki