How to play with a "pok" sound?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by armortec800, May 13, 2004.

1. armortec800

armortec800 Regular Member

I observe some players (some even in school uniform) who can smash with a killer and very loud "pok" sound which I cannot immitate, For many years, I wonder is it the string tension, the string, the racket, the angle of attack or the techniques?

Would like to hear from members of this forum. TIA.

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    IMHO:

Technique 85%;
    - one of the surefire ways to do this is to hit the shuttle at the sweetspot accurately at the fastest racquet head swing speed.
    String 15%;
    - some finer strings of small diameter 0.66mm for example can generated 'cleaner' and more responsive sound than thicker 0.70mm strings. String tension at lower tension (no less than 18lbs) will sound more like a drum beat, while tighter tensions from 24lbs upwards will most likely sound like a metal punch.

:)

3. TourSpEdition

TourSpEdition Regular Member

Student
    Yup,agreed that its on the technique.Yet Yonex created Ti strings which can make those "Pok" sound louder when strung at high tensions like 24 lbs & above.I myself prefers the Ti strings cause the sound it makes you attract more attentions :rolleyes: .

4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer

Poser!

Seriously though: a good hitting sound is a result of good technique.

5. woop.

woop. Regular Member

You could always try shouting "POK" everyime you hit the shuttle. Can't fail to work ;)

6. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

A "pok" sound is made when the racket hits the bird squarely. If you slice it, it will not "pok". That's actually one way you can tell if you are slicing. So make sure you rotate your racket head so that you hit the bird head-on. Also make sure you are using your wrist to swing your racket and not your forearm, to increase your racket speed.

Good luck.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Another way is to dislocate your joints as you strike the shuttle (it's a joke ;) )

8. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

That would make more of an "ouch"! :D

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Hmmm, not sure that's right :p Current thinking in badminton suggests that the forearm rotation is a major source of power on smashes, and that the wrist flexion contributes almost nothing. However, if you tell people to use their wrist they will often unwittingly use their forearm, so teaching "wrist snap" still has value :)

10. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Gollum what are your thoughts on stick or straight smash?

Smashing using a panhandle grip and no wrist at all, all the power is generated through the forearm with virtually no pronation.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    A powerful smash surely looks cool, and could be effective if u know when to use it. However, it's not the only and might not even be the most effective way (use more energy, easy to be off balance, hard to convert into defense position, etc) to defeat an opponent.

The worst type opponent I want to face, is not powerful young guns, but more like crafy type players, who don't need to over power me, but just accurate place the shuttle and make me run like hell. ;)

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I agree with LB, I love playing attacking players, Because you always know whats coming (a smash), so only have to move 3feet to either side of you!!

When you play clever players, you have to work much harder, and capitalise on their weaker shots, and Be patient.

Sound isnt important, winning is!! :D :D :D

13. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

You are taking that statement out of context. It goes along with the previous sentence about rotating the racket. As you rotate (pronate) your racket, your flex your wrist. The part about using the forearm/elbow to bring the racket down is so true, and that's why I chose to highlight the "wrist". I hope that clarifies things for you. :)

14. alzgodemort

alzgodemort Regular Member

student
    first: there should not be any wrist motion when you hit and overhead smash.

second: what makes the pok is not the technique but the speed of the head of the racket. (also it must be hit square)

third: the speed of a smash is important. Having a precise smash is equally important as its speed.

anyway just my own opinion

15. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Your opinions are very much, right.

High racquet head speed, hitting the shuttle precisely aka squarely.

Now, some question for you baddy masters.
    Some players will slice the shuttle and you will still hear a 'pok', not as loud head on smash itself, but still quite pronounced. Why is that?

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

AKFT - sorry if I misinterpreted you. It sounded like you were suggesting that power in a smash comes from the wrist not the forearm.

I don't understand the benefit of this technique. Maybe I haven't properly understood what you are suggesting :confused: We are talking about a full smash here, right? Not a net kill or a drive or any other shot where you are unable to position yourself for a full smash?

Pronation is a natural part of a vigorous throwing action; all the arm joints are thrown, like a relaxed system of levers or a whip, towards the shuttle. This whipping action, together with other body momentum, generates maximum racket head speed at the point of impact.

The panhandle grip inhibits one of those joints - the wrist. Inhibiting any part of the throwing motion tends to dissipate power. But the most important reason for using a correct forehand grip is that it encourages and supports proper pronation during the throwing action. You HAVE to pronate the forearm in order to meet the shuttle with a flat racket face.

Another problem with using the panhandle grip with a powerful whip action shot (like a smash) is that you may develop or aggravate tendonitis.

#16 Gollum, May 13, 2004
    Last edited: May 13, 2004
  17. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    I have to say that panhandle smashing is the technique employed by a friends of mine who had coaching and yes, it is full of arm action, much less pronation and his smashes does 'pok' and is quite powerful.

Yet, I have seen those using proper forehand grip, who could smash as powerfully with less effort. Oh, with comparable or louder 'pok'.

But I think as Neil had suggested, I think most coaches would scorn at you for holding the racquet using the panhandle grip outside the forecourt. Swinging with panhandle increases air resistance, thus slowing down your swing. IMHO, I find the panhandle grip is rather 'unstable', thus very unreliable for proper forehand shots.

Personally, I feel that I can rotate my wrist when holding a racquet, faster than to swing using my arm.

Another question: Does grip style affect your footwork?

I believe that the way you hit will affect your preparations to how the next will come, thus, will determine how economical are your movements.

18. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

Huh.....??? Please educate me. :confused:

19. alzgodemort

alzgodemort Regular Member

student
    Like, the wrist does not bend or anything. (sorry i can't explain this very well)
    The pronation comes from your elbow. the 2 bones that are in your forearm rotate to make your wrist rotate. Your wrist does not gives you power.

i hope i explained this well

20. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

hi tension ti string + ok technique = pok