Suppose I should write one of these really!

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by Gollum, May 14, 2004.

1. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Hi everyone. My name is Mike; I'm a final-year undergraduate at Oxford university (England), studying maths and philosophy. 23 years old. Born in England, I moved to Japan at the age of 6 and lived in Tokyo for 4 years. I then lived in the Netherlands for two years before returning to England.

I've been playing badminton for about 7 years, not including occasional messing about in the garden when I was younger. I never enjoyed sports at school, and I was never very good at them. During my A-levels (final 2 years of school) I was given a wider choice of sports; once I started badminton I knew that I would never feel the same way about sports again. I was fortunate enough to have a skilled and enthusiastic coach at the time.

Since leaving school I've played at a number of clubs; my game has progressed more slowly without a coach and with the additional pressures of academia. My playing standard is intermediate; I've played men's doubles in the Oxford and district league at a reasonable level. Since it is notoriously difficult to describe playing standards (one man's "beginner" is another man's "intermediate"), perhaps I should give some details. I can perform every basic shot to a competent standard (including a full-court backhand clear), and I can execute some "fancier" shots (e.g. various slices) but not with consistency.

My major weakness is fitness. The academic environment here can be pretty stressful; combined with the (unusual) stresses of my home life, I have difficulty finding the time or the state of mind to exercise. Badminton is almost the only thing that keeps me fit. Oh yes, and my footwork is pretty awful too :D And come to think of it, quite a lot of other things about my game are dodgy. But that's the nature of the sport - there's always room to improve, and opportunities to learn. It can be played for a whole lifetime, all the while discovering something new :)

I've been coaching informally for a few years - I go back to my old school and help out at the school club I used to play in. It's also fun for me to give my old coach a game of singles (he always wins). I decided to learn more about coaching, so I got trained by the BAofE to a basic level.

Other hobbies and interests are numerous, but the main ones at the moment are caving and scuba-diving. In July I'm going on expedition to Spain with my university's cave club; I will also be the medical officer for this trip. After this holiday, I intend to try my hand at writing a novel. If successful, I may become a professional author.

I have a special interest in the positive role that badminton can play in the lives of disabled people. My mother, following a massive brain haemorrhage over 4 years ago, has been slowly recovering from the brink of death and subsequent severe disability. She is now, gradually, learning to walk again. Recently I fulfilled a long-term dream, by playing badminton with her once more. We used to have enormous fun playing a casual game as a family. Now, although she is confined to a wheelchair during the game, we can do that once more.

Following her imminent return to active rehabilitation at her old hospital, I would like to try organising a badminton club for patients of the hospital. The idea occured to me when I saw a physiotherapist and a patient "playing" badminton in the physio room - they were just "pattycaking" the shuttle to each other from a few feet away. They were both having a lot of fun, and it seemed a welcome change for the patient. With the assistance of physio- and occupational therapists, I believe that we can overcome the practical difficulties of a badminton club for disabled people. The therapeutic and motivational benefits could be huge, not to mention the increase in self-worth that a disabled person can feel from being able to take part in an activity that is normally thought to be beyond his limitations.

Phew, that's a lot! Hope some of it is slightly interesting ;)

Oh yes - why "Gollum"? The name comes from my alias in computer games, where it describes my style of play (i.e. sneak up behind you and throttle). If you're curious, check out my Half-Life maps here.

#1 Gollum, May 14, 2004
    Last edited: May 14, 2004
  2. Lao Liu

Lao Liu Regular Member

Which division were you playing this season in the men's doubles league? I may have pla yed a game against you ;).

Lao Liu

3. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Gollum, are you the same Gollum of Quake 1 fame?

4. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Good to hear that about your mom. I wish her great strides in improving health in days to come. It must really felt as if you've gotten the best gift in the world to be able to play with her again, something worth more than any gold can buy.

And you have another family in BF. :)

5. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

Math teacher and coach at Univesity of Montreal
    Hey,

thanks for your replies in the forums! Hope we'll have nice chats about techniques!

JR

6. Chesire Cat

Chesire Cat Regular Member

Journalist at The Jakarta Post
    hello mike

welcome aboard..i am also new here. your story was interesting! really! i hope your mum gets better and better :D

eva

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hi Mike

Thanks for the interesting account of yourself.

Looks like you have been travelling a lot since young and you remain very active. How's your Japanese?

Its good to note that you want to help others and give them some joy and meaning in life. I hope you'll succeed well in all you do, including your varsity exams. Perhaps you should have read English Literature as well since you aspire to be an author.

Do send our regards to your mother and continue playing badminton with her and maybe get her to play with others as well. :)

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Lao - division 3. Didn't get to play many matches unfortunately, since I'm not permanently resident in Oxford :( Played for Gosford Hill BC last season.

Timeless - no, afraid not. I started gaming during the heyday of Quake 2.

Loh - my Japanese is *terrible*! One day I intend to refresh it, but not just yet. It's a beautiful language.

Everyone - thanks for the warm welcome :) Your "get well" wishes are really appreciated; my mum is making huge progress at the moment.

This must be the friendliest forum I know. Maybe that's because it's populated by badminton players.

9. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the cool account, Gollum.

I do hope your mother gets better and that you fulfill your dream of helping patients recover. It's touching to know that there are people in this world who care enough for others to actually do something (yup, you are hearing it from cynical ol' me. :cool: )

Btw, I love Oxford, though I'm sorry to say I am slightly partial towards Cambridge just because I went there first :p (Out of curiosity, which college do you attend?). When I visited Oxford in 2002, you guys won the rowing competition against Cambridge and my friends were so excited.

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I went to one of the obscure colleges with less money - Somerville college. Used to be a women-only college :cool: