Chatroom Redux

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by wilfredlgf, May 14, 2004.

1. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Ref:http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10464

As of the current TC championship, we can all see that there is HUGE interest in the live scores and commentary, thus I do believe that we NEED a chat room for this reason. Chat rooms are more conducive for Live Scores compared to posting and posting and posting. They did this for english premier league matches and it works like a charm.

Ways to control unrelated posts : Appoint a few moderators and allow only those with access to real report while putting channel on silence mode, allowing only those with 'voice' status to speak. To allow discussion within the game, open up another chat room.

It is as said in the thread above, that it can be made free on DalNET. Scared that it may expire when there aren't anybody? We can get volunteers to come in and keep it alive by logging 24 hours (since some are on emule and bit torrent anyway). This way we can avoid deregistration.

Suggested networks : I am most familiar with Dalnet. It's the best, I think.
    Suggested channel names : #badmintonforum, #badmintonscore, #badmintonlive, #worldbadminton

Promotion of channel can be done using sticky on the forum website.
    Appoint several volunteers for each of the two channels : general-themed for discussions within the game, and another set for live commentary and scores.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    when i was showering after 2 hours in the gym and 3 hours following CHN vs. KOR, i had the same idea. our tradition of following tournaments is best done in a chatroom setting instead of a forum.

even though the forum is handling the extra load introduce quite comfortably, there is much advantage to the more realtime aspects of a chat room.

however, i still have a few reservations.

1. moderation. as mentioned in the thread you linked to. i do not want to run a unmonitored chatroom. that's just dangerous as discussions or intention of members can go astray.

2. hosting - where should we hold the chatroom? IRC is a possibility. but for better management like username and up/down time, i think a software based chatroom run from the BC/BF server is a better idea. i have seen a few that can integrate the BF username. this way we can retain users and do logging, etc.

it sounds to me that the BF chatroom should only open when there is tournament going on, or on any special occasions. otherwise, it would be turned off for reason 1.

3. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    A Chat channel would be one of the best ideas. As suggested by wilfredlgf the scores posting and stuff would be more convenient. Why not have a channel where Veteran BF people can share their experiences in real time and have interaction.

Another thing is that there are java applets that allow you to connect through a site let's say Bforum.com to the irc chat channel.

A bot can be run by one of our members here and controlled by channel moderators? I can write such a bot on irc or use an existing one of my bots. This can solve your problems on an unmoderated chatroom as bots can be programmed to kick users from flooding the room, or using profanity and stuff.

So what do you think?

4. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Well, chatroom has many versions/forms. The one came to my mind is a small size, real-time, http based (web page based, can be written by Java or other languages), no software required (less trouble), but login-required chatroom.

(Usually you will see this at the bottom of the page at some other sites, it's very fast and stable :))
    It should reduce some numbers of threads, especially when discussing tours.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    FYI,

This is one of the very earliest chats :)

http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1457&highlight=Asia+cup

See how things have developed since then. Web streaming and more BF members have helped a lot!!

A chat channel is definately an option - When I missed some time on BF due to watching on TV (my computer is in the other room), there were too many posts to scroll through.

6. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Interesting coincidence! Lazybuddy and I were chatting over ICQ earlier tonight, and were also thinking a chatroom was needed for BF.com! Not only for the reason of tournaments, but also for various other topics, including general chatter between friends. I've noticed a lot more postings from members local to eachother (including myself and friends) that post short messages in "chat" fashion. Would be really nice to actually "chat" with members that happen to be online at the same time. I think it would take this great website one step further! If possible, I suggest trying to incorporate a real-time chatroom into the current website instead of having to go to another application such as IRC. Unless of course IRC access can be integrated into this website as well, then members would have the choice to access it through their browser and this site, or through a third party IRC application such as the popular mIRC.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's another thing about chat is that we have to retain the contents that will be quite valueable and interesting to read back years later. sometimes browsing through the posts stirs back some interesting memories of the match. it is like freezing the old frames and freezing all the fans cheering.

a chatroom may destroy those.

but i am looking into it, there are a couple of chat programs that integrates into our current forum program. (in other words, we can retain the same usernames). cost a little bit but not outrageously so.

however, the highest priority project for BC/BF is actually BC. that has been delayed and delayed. but i do want to have BC and the chatroom done before the Olympics.. that will be cool.

8. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Chat logs?

Hmmm, I have a solution for it if you guys want to keep the chat, what about logs? I'm sure irc allows us to keep logs, and we can store the logs using IRC or some chat clients. I'm sure they allow logging of chat.

Or make a forum where weekly chats will be posted there? With dates and stuff with the general topic on what was discussed in the channel. How bout it?

One suggestion, Mr Jonas Rasmussen can have a real time Q&A session during one time a week or something? I'm sure it'll be cool! <--- just a humble suggestion. :p

9. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

base in Spore, heart at wherever Lin Dan n Xuanze
    so do we actually have a badmintonforum IRC channel or something???
    i think it's best if we have one.... then all of us BFers can go in n chat... it's much easier.....
    if there is already one.... can someone please tell me the channel??? thanx :)

actually u all can reply me here u noe? no need to pm me... ahahaha
    cant we all juz enter #badmintonforum or wat??? do we need to register channel??? i noe nuts abt IRC :p

#9 HoNgHoNg, May 19, 2004
    Last edited: May 19, 2004
  10. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

what I don't like about Chat is the seeming impossibility of having more than one or topics at any given time, and it's hard to tell who is replying to who. A more effective idea is having a "forum-lite" in which all the images/tables/etc are turned off so the pages load much quicker.

I.e. lite.badmintonforum.com would be a minimal forum linked to the same databases as www.bf.com is.