Denmark Conquers Indonesia and Stadium Istora!

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cups 2004' started by ants, May 14, 2004.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    It was the most exciting match ..for the moment my heart was with the Danish.. Cheering DENNMARKKK DENNMARK.. DENNMARK DENNMARK!!

They just created history by beating the Indonesians homeground and had their revenge in the 1996 lost in Hong Kong by the Indonesians. This time Indonesia stays home empty handed.

#1 ants, May 14, 2004
    Last edited: May 14, 2004
  2. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Can someone shows me the video clips of the moment when Peter Ras crushed Simon, I wanted to see how the Denmark team reacted.

For the finals, I am on Denmark side. The CHN team has been over confident and begin to show arrogance. In any case, I like to see Denmark makes history this time. Yes, go Denmark all the way, the cup is yours !

#2 chibe_K, May 14, 2004
    Last edited: May 14, 2004
  3. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    PR didn't crush Sony, he crushed Simon.
    Neither did he crush Simon - the second set was very VERY close.

4. blondmyth

blondmyth New Member

student
    Peter Ras played against this youngster Simon Sontosa, not Sony. It was a great match. When Peter Ras won the final point, the whole Denmark team ran onto the court and celebrated with him, even throwing him into the air...

5. blondmyth

blondmyth New Member

student
    hi guys,

pardon for my ignorance, im new to international badminton.
    is Jonas Ras related to Peter Ras? Brothers or what?

thanks

6. mirrura

mirrura Regular Member

part time dreamer
    Here's some explaination. Danish coaches ran to PR. I saw Simon Santoso hitting his head, looking disappointed. Then, the whole Danish team rushed out to PR, jubiliating the victory, then all of them treated PR as the hero (of course), they made a circle, carried him up, threw him up in the air (but not that high), and then the bent their head low in the circle, saying something to each other...and they cheered. After that, it was the ladies turn to cheer for the men. THe crowd was silent

7. Mamado

Mamado Regular Member

They are not brothers!!:D

8. ants

ants Regular Member

The Match was very exciting.. the crowd was getting crazy when Sony won his match against Peter Gade. Sony played exceptionally well. Gade did had some errors and can't match Sony's stratetic play.

1st Doubles.. Hian and Limpele can't outmatch JR /Paaske. They were simply too good this time. But it was a trilling match to watch.

2nd Singles , This match was a very good match. Kenneth did alot of dives. Amazing shot accuracy from Taufik. 20% Match time goes to the floor cleaner , 10% showing off Taufik's Girlfriend 70% is the only real game time. every point there is sure a floor cleaning mopping.

2nd Doubles. I wish Kusharyanto is a little taller. His legs are too short. Anyway great performance from the Indonesians.. great commitment every shots. 1set goes to the danes..( it seems that they are dominating the game until set #2 ). second set alot of strategy plays from the Indonesians. Warp up the set very fast.. the Danish camp looked a little worried. 3rd Set triller , many exchanges , this time the danes change their strategy.. more drives and back court , Trikush just too fast in front. Very steady play from the danes.. they were not pressured. This match goes to Denmark.

3rd singles.... The Stadium went a little quiet. You only hear the Danish Teams shouting. Indeed Simon had cold sweat... Rasmussen had a slow start but after a while , his experience take over. At first both of them played like A level proffesionals. Both Simon and Rasmussen were abit shaky. Many unforced errors from both players in the first set. But Rasmussen eventually outplay Simon in the first set. 2nd Set again was very close , Simon changed some strategy and gain some points.. but the set back is his inexperience and many unforced errors. Most of the points Rasmussen gain was Simons errors. Simon have the potential.. just that it is really pressure to play a do or die match. Well it will be a good experience for Simon.

Rasmussen was nervous when the score reach 12-10. He just cant more the points even until , score stuck at 13 for more than 15mins. Simon comeback to 13-13 was just too late. Cant seal the match. We was in shock and holding his head when he lost. Peter won the match and the Danish team celebrate in the middle court.

9. ants

ants Regular Member

For those who are into Billiards.. Peter Rasmussen actually look like finland's Mike Immonen.

10. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Thanks dude ! I project this momet inside my head and I screamed in the office. I have to apologize for mistakenly assume Sony instead of Simon that PR was playing. Sorry la......

11. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    I think this Ina team is the worst team since last 10-15 year.
    Especially the double. :(
    3 doubles which Ina has are the worst pairs from Ina double history.
    Against China, Malaysia and Denmark (sorry NZ not count), the Ina pairs just won once, when Flendi/Hian beat Chew/Koo with difficulty.

I just wonder why Ina's coaches didn't pick Candra/Tri over Candra/Sigit ? :mad:
    Maybe Ina would go to final if Candra/Sigit was in the line up.

After Candra, Sigit, Halim, Tri retired, 2-3 years ahead, Ina just has Alven/Luluk.
    2 young pairs Markis Kidho/Hendra Setiawan and Hendra Gunawan/Joko Riyadi have many to learn.
    Or maybe 2 men from XD joint together : Nova Widianto/Anggun Nugroho ?

Ina has no more pair to fright for.
    The world most creative country in double has no good pair anymore.
    I feel sorry about this. :(

12. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

jkusmanto, I share your sorrow. (T_T)

13. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I think the biggest mistake was not leaving Sigit and halim out, but putting Flandy and Eng in front of them. Their ranking is the only thing going for them.
    They are both fairly weak in attack, so put no real pressure on opposing teams their.

All pairs have to do with them is get flandy at the net. He was terrible today in serving, recieving, and attack. All that saved them froma huge embarrassment was their defence.

Hindsight is tremendous, but with Halim/sigit/trikush/candra, you can create 3 Tested pairs (Candra/sigit-legendary, Sigit/trikush-Asian champs, Hali/candra-masters winners, trikush/halim-last TC heroes)

I (in hindsight of course) see no logic in putting a pair(flandy and Eng that have consistently played below par in pressure situations, with no champion credentials (by that I mean ability to raise their game to another level when it counts) into a situation where you have to beat world class pairs consistenyl, everytime. few people can do this, least of all this pair.

Malaysia has them in Choong/Lee, and hafiz, roslin (Sometimes) and maybe LCW in the future. They can be rubbish for months, then do something incredible and make it look easy. Idonesia has them in abundance with Sigit,candra,trikush,taufik, and now sony too. Korea has them in Lee hyun il (in surdiman cup), KDM (Everyday!), and shon seung mo (WC). China has them in Xia, sangyang/zheng Bo(although not proven yet), Bao, Lin. Denmark has them in Eriksen/Luungard, and JR/lars.

Other players can be relied upon to beat the easy players all the time, and the good players somother times, but against the best, they fall short more often than not. Players I put in this category would be: WCH, flandy/eng, Chen Yu, Chen Hong,Gade, LDS/YYS, jonassen. Cai/Fu may also be in this category as they have failed to do it when it counts thus far (WC, AE)-today didnt count, they would have won sooner or later.

What I am trying to say is In this competition you need match winners, as everygame is against top class competition. History doesnt count here.

IMHO Denmark wont do it(win that is) Although I think it may go to final rubber. They lack the third singles of champion class. (hendrawan was a class example of this) It will be Xia to take the glory this time.

14. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I am so pleased for Rasmussen. In his world championship year he was outstanding and really showed that europeans can take on Asians at their own game and outplay them. He has had the worst luck with injuries.

15. khookchee

khookchee New Member

I went to bed at the beginning of the rubber set of the 2nd doubles when I thought that the Danes were not playing all that well, having lost 2-15 in the second set to the Indonesians; so I missed the most exciting part of the tournament. I was really shocked when I logged in to "Badminton Cental Discussion Forum" this morning and discovered that the Danes beat the Indinesians. While I am happy for the Danes, I'm also sad for the Indonesians. Indonesia has produced many great badminton players and they have contributed a lot to the high standard of play in the present Thomas/Uber Cup tournament.

Regards kchee:rolleyes:

16. yclin

yclin Regular Member

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You went to bed!!!?? :eek: :eek:

James
    apparently JR/Lars had not beaten Flandy/Eng Hian in 3 matches before last night...
    (I think that was what the commentator said)

18. ants

ants Regular Member

You should see how Simon reacted when he lost the match. I pity him.. many indonesians booed him and blame him for the lost. Its not his fault.. he played his best. He was even crying after he lost the game.

19. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

I pity him too..Its just too much burden for a young man and inexperience player to shoulder...I think he tried his best but he is still too far from beating an ex-world champ...His defence are weak...His smashes are not accurate...Dont want to mention his net control...and he is too nervous..u can actually see him shaking... maybe all he need is time to prove he is capable of being the next taufik... a better attitude one... :D
    but he has the same expression on court as sony's...which is no expression...

20. mourits

mourits Regular Member

We did not boo Simon

I don't think that the spectators booed Simon. They booed Denmark (it's just something the Indonesian spectators do when the opposing team wins - EXCEPT when Luluk/Alven lost badly to Lee/Choong in the QF match against MAS where they booed the INA pair). In fact after it was all over, the spectators were cheering for Simon.

Most of the people left the stadium after it was all over, but many (around 500 or so) stayed and cheered for Simon (they, er.. we were yelling "Simon! Simon!" more often than "Indonesia! Indonesia!") during the bronze medal presentation. I think Simon won the spectators' hearts by showing a good run the match, especially in the 2nd set.

After that we were also clapping and cheering for Denmark. I think Indonesians will cheer for Denmark tonight (I know I will); they will cheer for any team playing against CHN :)

BTW, did anyone notice that if CHN wins tonight, then all 3 Cups (TC, UC, and SC - Sudirman Cup) will be in the hands of 1 nation? This never happened before, but if it does, CHN deserves them.

Finally, may the best team win, but I hope it will be Denmark!