China vs. Denmark - who wins?

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cups 2004' started by kwun, May 14, 2004.

?

who will win the Thomas Cup?

1. China

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Denmark

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ok. final poll for TC 2004. we now have two finalists, China and Denmark. who do you think will win the Thomas Cup??

will it be China who brings home the Thomas Cup after 14+ years long wait. or will it Denmark who makes history by bringing the Thomas Cup to Europe for the very first time since the Cup's inauguration?

2. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

A lot hangs on JR/LP. If they beat Cai/Fu it could go to the 3rd Singles.
    If not, heavily weighted to China.
    I voted for China, but I'll be supporting Denmark.
    Come on Jens and Martin, fly the flag for us old guys :p

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I will be going against the grain here by voting and supporting for Denmark. It'll be simply amazing just to have the underdogs rule the day:D.

4. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Speaking from my head, China appears to be stronger than Denmark. China has stronger singles, and it is very likely they will sweep all 3 singles. As for doubles, I would say Denmark has an edge over China, I would predict the Danes to win at least one doubles. So, Denmark needs to perform exceptionally well in singles in order to win.

Speaking from my heart, I like to see Denmark makes history by bringing the cup to Europe for the first time. Denmark doubles players are simply my favourites teams.

5. badmad

badmad Regular Member

If statistics in recent is revisited then china holds an edge.... but its not that danes don't stand a chance... Gade is back in form and the way Kenneth played against Taufik.... OMG.... i didn't get chance to see the match but I could feel the intensity of the match by the way u ppl had posted here... thanx for it.... thumbs up.... JR and co. are world champs... so china must not be sincerely thinking about danes... I suppose Gade and JR/LP hold the key for Denmark... For sure, it's going to be a grand finale.... :D... China deserves it but I'll vote for Denmark.

6. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

CHINA!!!CHINA!!!!CHINA!!!!

China is going to win the cup either by 3-0 or 3-2...If cai/fu lost, then xia will have to clinch the winning point for china...Not confident in Sang/Zheng...

Since my fav. team lost yesterday, i willl support china wholeheartedly tomorrow...
    China jia you jia you....

7. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Denmark!! :D

I think they have a chance!!

8. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

I think they will have to wheel in Kenneth Jonassen in a wheelchair after

his struggle against Taufk. Jonassen has fpound a timeless way of playing

Taufik,flick to net in centre, lob to centre to cut down Taufiks angle of attack which worked beautifully in set 2.

Peter Gade played like a geriatric against Sony.

JR and partner definitely very impressive but so are Cai and Fu.

Incidently game of CAi and Fu vs Kim and Lee very strange.

2 for you 2 for me, each pair attacks and gains 2 points, then they switch

to defence and opponents gain 2 points,after points switch to all out attack, what strategy is that?

LinDan plying Lee HI. in set 1 Lin Dan just ley Lee hit him with his best and Lin just returned them for half hour.Then when Lee ran out of ideas and was winded it was plain sailing all the way. Sounds familiar?

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    familiar but for diffierent reason. Lee looks like he just ran out of steam after winning 9 points. beyond that, he just completely exhausted. and honestly, that 9 points was hardly difficult either. it wasn't like he had to fight for it, Lin practically gave it to him.

Lee either have very little motivation and spirit, or he is just completely out of shape. Lin could've just played on in any manner and Lee will be destroyed regardless.

10. kkblw

kkblw New Member

Programmer
    Simple Answer

Cai/Fu win, China win
    Cai/Fu lost, China will be in danger

I vote China, because i'm from China :p

11. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

IMO if Cai/Fu win, China guaranteed a win.
    Cai/Fu and Sang/Zheng lose, not really a surprise, China still most likely to win.

China loses two singles, then China in trouble.

12. viver

viver Regular Member

I'd say the 2nd singles is the key. The 2 doubles are about 50-50 matches. Lin Dan and Xia in first and third singles should get point on paper. Now the 2nd singles could be the crucial game.

13. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

Im confident bao will be able to beat kenneth..unless his mind collapses during the game...

14. belfastnole

belfastnole Regular Member

:confused:
    anyone know why peter gade played so poorly against sony? before that match I felt he had a chance against lin dan due to the time between each match but he appeared completely off form -just a bad day?

15. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    By looks.. China have the higher percentage to win. however if Denmark manage to steal a point in the singles.. the table might turn. Denmark have 2 strong doubles pair. Anyway it will be a tight match to watch.

16. gade_sup

gade_sup Regular Member

my 2cents (biased ofc :p)

gade - lin dan: If peter recovers from his stomach problems he is in with a chance. If not it's a walkover for lindan. we saw against sony that you have no chance when not 100% fit. And to beat lindan u definetely have to be at your best. On the other hand peter has shown he definetely can compete with lindan. most impressively at the japan open, but lin dan has shown no sign of a drop in form so lindan is the obvous favourite.

jonassen - bao: obviously not 100% certain that china will pick bao, but i find it very likely. bao has seemed fantastic this weekend, possibly even better than lindan(which he also beat at swiss open) and is definetely favoured against kenneth. but bao can play bad matches(like against susilo), and kenneth showed he could compete woth taufik, who played much better yesterday than against bao. again advantage china thou.

rasmussen - xia: peter looked very impressive for a while, but the fears are ofcourse about his fitness level, which is definetely not as good as it has been. Xia on the other hand is very fit. On the other hand xia gave away 11 and 7 points against santoso, compared to peter's 3 and 13. The first set will definetely be a close one between xia and peter. and peter might very well win it. but again china is the obvious favourite

doubles: 2 very open matches. rasmussen/paaske needs to get the flat rallies going if they wanna win, and not play cai/fu's smash/power game. 50-50 in my eyes. the other match also very open, but denmark slightly favoured.

the 2 doubles are definetely denmarks best chances, and of the singles imho gade is the best chance if he recovers from his illness. kenneth is probably the least likely to grab a point against a bao in the form of his life.

i have faith in denmark thou ofc :D

17. Johnny

Johnny Regular Member

Programmer
    According to Peter he has had some stomachproblems the last few days and he was lacking energy.

18. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Even Lin Dan had stomach problems b4 playing Lee HI.

Its common when travelling overseas one encounters new bacteria

in food and water even those served in hotels.

One thing every one must learn from Denmark they will give everything.

To play kenneth Jonassen one needs nerves of steel as he will never give

up,applies also to Boesen too.

The 2 Peters are pale shadows of their former selves and lacking fitness.

Denmarks 2nd doubles are real tough customers to beat.

I think the key to the final will be first doubles, speed and power versus

raw talent and skill.

19. gade_sup

gade_sup Regular Member

it is indeed common, but it doesnt change the fact that it reduces your fitness, and making you unable to compete at your best which you have to do to stand a chance against other top players.

sure...:D

gade definetely lacked fitness yesterday, and also showed weakness in that area against lindan in all england(however after a much tougher tournament schedule than lindan). he's said he lacks the last 5% in fitness level, but think he'll be there by the time of the olympics. But saying he's a pale shadow of himself is wrong since he's re-established himself as a top player, and being one of the few players who have troubled lin dan lately.

about peter rasmussen it's no doubt he's not as good as he was in 1997-98, and probably never will be. still he made a very good performance yesterday.

yeah, denmark most probably needs victory in both doubles

20. Mamado

Mamado Regular Member

Thomas CUP

Can anyone give me some information about what channel(s) the Thomas Cup final is broadcast on???

Thanx

#20 Mamado, May 15, 2004
    Last edited: May 15, 2004