Just bought Asics Gel Blade 5

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by dollargood, Aug 28, 2015.

1. dollargood

dollargood Regular Member

Tested on court today. It's so light and comfort. Support and cushion is good.
    Movement is fast. Grip is good.
    Seems alot better than my previous Asics Gel Blade 4.

IMG_4740.jpg

IMG_4743.jpg

#1 dollargood, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  2. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    Is there a pic for the sole to this shoe? And how much?

3. dolbydog

dolbydog Regular Member

Wow, very light shoe! 257g in US mens size 7.5 or 25.5 cm. Also, 2013 Gel Approach for comparison. I haven't used them yet but they don't look very durable. These are for you if you like low, light, flexible shoes, with minimal support. I would say they are most similiar in the Yonex range to the F1.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender[2].jpg

4. dollargood

dollargood Regular Member

I tried out on court, seems light but it's durable...no sign of tear or whatever so.

5. dolbydog

dolbydog Regular Member

Ya, it just feels like someone that trains everyday might wear out these in a month or two. I just played with them now and they weren't the grippiest of shoes. That is probably, the Mizuno Wave Fang for me. Also, very low and flat at the front and the pivot point is in the middle of the sole. It does feel a bit odd compared to other outsole designs. Overall, nice light low shoe that still has the Gel cushioning.

6. dolbydog

dolbydog Regular Member

After some usage, I find the front has very little curvature in the forefoot due to the low profile. Kinda like a broad feel in the front "cardboard - ish". It fit a bit longer and narrower than some other shoes including Asics. The new insole is fairly slippery and paired with certain socks will slide as you move around. They are also glued down. The mesh and synthetic top is good for low weight and flexible toe box. Not good for toe draggers though.

Overall, probably a "B" for me.

7. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    I too have Blade 4 and tried 5 at Asics store, so could not test on court. My Blade 4 is still in good condition, so a bit reluctant to upgrade.

Please add how 5 is better than 4.

8. Jpodcaster

Jpodcaster Regular Member

Thanks for the pics dollargood/dolbydog. Can I ask how flexible you think these shoes are? I am very light on my feet so prefer a shoe that is super-light and flexible as well as close to the ground (although my knees aren't great so would like some support as well!).

I recently bought a pair of Victor SH-A910s and they are light and grippy but I find them very stiff and can't get on with them. I'm looking at the Blade 5s to replace them.

#9 Jpodcaster, Oct 4, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  9. Vishnu

Vishnu Regular Member

Auditor
    Whats the price of the shoes

10. Jpodcaster

11. dolbydog

dolbydog Regular Member

Very flexible, it will bend from heel to toe without any problem. Superlow too, so very flat to the ground. Both features that I normally love. However, it feels a half size long for me and I have to over tighten the laces. Also, the insoles are too slippery.

12. Jpodcaster

Thanks - I have a pair on order, looks like I'll need some new insoles.

BTW dolbydog - I'll be emigrating to Canada from the UK this year - just wondered how easy it is to get hold of Victor kit out there (or should I stock up before I leave?) :)

13. dolbydog

dolbydog Regular Member

Fairly easy to get Victor here. Although not the most up to date selection, there's always some discounts to be found in the clothing bins. The shoes are usually close to full retail price and not the full line-up. Mostly, bestsellers.
    I'm biased as I think they have been always a Yonex copy and they didn't sponsor me when I was young.
    Ha Ha! In reality, I wasn't really good enough. Our volleyball team was Asics sponsored and they really were the only choice back in the day.

14. ein_roboter

ein_roboter Regular Member

Student
    They're on my wishlist, the Gel Blade 5, especially the white ones. Too bad Asics shoes won't really offer much protection against friction with the floor at the toe box (for 'toe draggers')

15. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Can the owner of Blade 5 confirm that it has 'magic sole' i.e ventilated midsole for breathability.

On Asics website it mentions it, but I don't think it has ventilated midsole like the old model Blade 4, which I have.

Thinking of also 'Gel Cyber Attack' model.

16. dolbydog

dolbydog Regular Member

Blade 5 has no venting in the midsole. Also, I gave up on them and bought Shb 87. They were too narrow and slippery insole for me.