Racket and string "feel"

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by foogiewoogie, Sep 1, 2015.

1. foogiewoogie

foogiewoogie New Member

Hi there,

I have recently just switched to an apacs tantrum 300, stringed at 24lbs with apacs stern 9 strings. I feel like I'm hitting the shuttlecock with a board, and I hardly get much 'feel' from smashes or overheads, drops are fine with more control and precision added in, but similarly the 'feel' from the impact of the shuttlecock on the racket face is just lacking.

Is this an issue with the tension which might be too high for me? or is it the type of strings that I'm using since I have heard some pretty bad reviews apacs stern 9 strings. Thanks for your advice in advance.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    what racket/string/tension did you have before??

3. foogiewoogie

foogiewoogie New Member

I was using a really old pro kennex 767 carbon series racket if I remember correctly, strung at 25 lbs with yonex bg 80 before it broke from a mishit, but the feel was so much better on that racket as compared to this. I'm also wondering if the stiffness of the racket does contribute to this as perhaps i'm not use to playing with the stiffness of a tantrum 300

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    same stringer?

try lowering the tension next time. the old Prokennex are not known for their stiffness if i remember correctly.

5. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Yes, probably.

Impossible to tell for sure if it's the tension, the racket or the string (or even the stringer), when you change all these things at once. You could string your new racket with your old setup (BG80, 25lbs). If you don't like the feeling, it's probably the racket. If you like the feel again, it's the new strings (Apacs stern 9). :)