My grip is wrong?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by armortec800, May 15, 2004.

1. armortec800

armortec800 Regular Member

While my post about playing a good "pok" sound, I think there is something wrong with my grip.

I attached 2 pictures of my grip. The wordings on the shaft serves as a guide to the alighment of my grip to the racquet face.

The first one is my normal relaxed grip, with the Musle Power words are a little bit to the side( Take note I am a lefty). It produces a weaker smash and the racquet head is not square to the bird when I swing and smash. The maneuverablity of my wrist is excellent though.

Now, I twisted the racquet so you can see more of the "Muscle Power" words. The racquet is now square when I smash. But I felt so funny as though I am learning badminton. Maneuverablity of my wrist is a little bit funny as i am not used to it.

What are the thoughts and suggestions? please do advise me. TIA.:D

Attached Files:

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yikes! :eek:

They're both bad grips. The second one is actually worse than the first. The second one is very close to a "panhandle" grip, which at this stage you should probably avoid completely. The first one is close to a proper forehand grip, but it's still not right.

Using the second (panhandle) grip makes it easy to square the racket head for overhead shots, but it leads to a poor technique. Using a correct forehand grip actually forces you to use a good throwing action in order to align the face to the shuttle. It seems counterintuitive at first, and some people therefore never move beyond using the panhandle grip. You don't want to be one of those people ;)

In both grips, your finger is extending quite far up towards the racket shaft. This is a very bad habit since it can lead to tendonitis.

You need to learn how to hold the racket in a basic correct forehand grip. Have a look at this guide: http://www.snarkpit.com/pits/gollum/baddy/Grips.html

#2 Gollum, May 15, 2004
    Last edited: May 15, 2004
  3. armortec800

Thanks Gollum,
    ;)

4. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Try to think of this - you are holding the racquet to 'cut the air'. You will be cutting the air until the moment you hit the shuttle. This way, as Gollum mentioned, you will have to learn the proper throwing motion.

You can see it on his photos that if you swing, assuming that your body adjusts itself for the proper movement, you will notice you will be cutting air a lot until you hit the shuttle.

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I like that analogy :)

/me adds to his stock of ways to explain throwing action

Often it just takes the right metaphor to help someone understand.

6. lalanthier

lalanthier Regular Member

Student
    The way I was taught was even like a natural handshake.

:) I'm a lefty too.

7. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

k this is a little off topic... but what's that red grip on ur mp 100??? it looks nice... might be interested in purchasing one

8. armortec800

It is a "Pacific" grip "Softy". Tacky kind of grip.

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I prefer the "using-a-wet-towel-to-hit-a-bug-on-the-wall" analogy:D.

10. altreality

altreality Regular Member

I am not a southpaw but the panhandle is definitely a no-no .. robs you of quite a bit of power...tho some people develop it so well its hard to tell....

Personally I got 3 types of grip - one for forehand , one for back hand... and one for short forehand serves...

11. lalanthier

lalanthier Regular Member

Student
    Forehand, backhand, backhand smashes, short doubles serves...I think I might have a sightly different grip for my drives as well...hehe

but yeahy. mostly the way i learnt it was: forehand=handshake, backhand=remote control

12. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

I am pretty sure this topic has been discussed before...but here goes...

1) while holding the head of the racq vertically, grip the handle like giving a hand-shake (thus the analogy), where your index finger will have a little seperation from the rest of the fingers, thus you are not holding it like an axe where your thumb covers your index finger. The side part of your thumb knuckle should "sit close if not on" the widest facet of handle.

2) notice your index finger and your thumb creates a letter "V". The point/tip of the V should reside on the handle at 11 o'clock (once again with the head of the racq being verticle and you are looking at the butt end of the handle) or at 12 o'clock if you right-handed. Lefties will reside either at 12 or 1 o'clock.

With that style of grip, the swing is like throwing a ball, but your stance must also change.

Cheers!