high school with badminton team in Calgary

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by cattieee, May 15, 2004.

1. cattieee

cattieee New Member

Could anyone suggest a high school which has a strong badminton team in Calgary? As my brother would like to study in Calgary; however he'd also like to continue playing badminton. So, if there is anyone who could give a hand on me about this issue, i'll be very appreciated.

#1 cattieee, May 15, 2004
    Last edited: May 15, 2004
  2. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Wow!! He's coming to Alberta to study in high school?? Western High probably has the best high school team in Caltown but our BF Calgarians could probably give you the precise info on that.

As well, high school badminton only runs for a small duration of the school year. If he wants to continously play throughout the year, he would probably want to join a city club, which once again, the BF Calgarians can give more info about.

Tell him Alberta is a great place to live and study and we welcome him here!!

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

I vouch for all the above comment.
    I havent follow high school badminton for over 10 years.
    Back then i personally know 2 kids went to western high school just because of their badminton program. (well, it's still nothing compare to SE Asia). The best is still find a coach and play at various clubs.

4. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

yes, western canada high. most of calgary's zone was represented by that school for high school provincials.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    here are some videos for various education institution in Alberta, including one for western canada high.

http://www.accesstv.ca/sys_contest.cfm#

that last clips of a kid smashing isnt from their badminton team

6. dreamshuttler

dreamshuttler Regular Member

Western Canada = badminton frenzy

Western Canada High's definitely the high school you should aim for if you want a strong badminton team. (I play Women's Senior Singles) Last year we won city's, a-level and provincial championships. :cool:
    We had over 100 students try out for our badminton team this year... we're pretty strong when it comes to badminton; compared to other high schools, at least. This year we didn't get city's championships, but we did get a-level! Our coaches are dedicated like leeches stuck to your skin... hahahahaha!!! they work really really hard, and they're really nice!:D We train about twice to three or four times a week... for an hour and a half each session. Mmm... and our assistant coach (haha, assistant coach my butt) is Alex Pang *ooooooohhhhh* :eek: but I dunno if he'll still be coaching next year cuz he's graduating this year.
    oh, and we even have a badminton club on tuesdays at 7:00 starting (usually) in February!

7. Michael-Lam

Michael-Lam Regular Member

Student / Badminton Coach
    although western by far does have the strongest team, the reason for that is that it is located near the glencoe club, so it is easy access for the club players to train in the morning and after school, the coaches at western aren't the best. if you want a good badminton program i would say goto nss located inside of ernest manning or goto the sports school which is located inside of abehart, i know some of the coaches at aberhart have some really good drills. western is just a badminton superpower becasue of their club players without them they would be much weaker.

8. AT_700

AT_700 Regular Member

Haha Calgary's Western Canada High school is good but if the regular team AND the A team both make it to provincials, they play eachother to see who makes it to provincials....so stupid...but yeah Western Canada is good but Churchill is good too. Even though Western is close to Glencoe, Churchill is close to Calgary Winter Club =p but I admit Western is better, at least until I get to high school :D

9. Michael-Lam

not that many cwcers goto churchill anyways like 3 of them

10. Michael-Lam

i can name like almost 10 glencoe club players that goto western..