Disappointed Chong Wei looks to the future

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cups 2004' started by kwun, May 16, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    THOMAS CUP: Disappointed Chong Wei looks to the future
    Send to a friend | Printable Page

NSTP emedia

Not only does Chong Wei want to help Malaysia make amends for their quarter-final loss, he wants to do so as the country’s No 1 singles.

While he respects current No 1 Wong Choong Hann and No 2 Roslin Hashim, Chong Wei feels he should realised his potential by then.

“My aim is to be the top ranked Malaysian singles player by the next Thomas Cup,” he said.

“I have less than two years to achieve my objective but I am prepared to do whatever it takes to make it happen.”

He will also have to contend with the likes of Mohd Hafiz Hashim and Kuan Beng Hong.

Chong Wei has proven himself in the international scene and wants to show his appearance in last year’s Malaysian Open final was no fluke.

“With this year’s Open a month before the Olympics, it will give me a good indication which areas I need to improve on,” said Chong Wei.

The youngster has already won the National Grand Prix title twice – only the third player after Misbun Sidek and Foo Kok Keong – to successful defend the crown.

“From now until the Olympics, I’ll undergo a special training programme prepared by my coach (Misbun),” he said.

“It is every player’s dream to win a medal at the Olympics and I’m the same.

“Badminton’s top players will be in Athens and it will spur me to do my best, since I barely made the cut.”

Chong Wei injured his ankle in the match against Thailand and did not play in the 3-1 defeat to Indonesia.

“It was a bitter experience and I could not bear to watch,” said Chong Wei.

“The Thomas Cup is the symbol of badminton supremacy and I aim to help Malaysia regain the Cup in 2006.” – By S.S. DHALIWAL