Good Job Indonesia

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cups 2004' started by wl2172, May 16, 2004.

1. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Sport: THOMAS CUP: Christian, a gentleman even in defeat

Send to a friend | Printable Page

He displayed this following Indonesia’s stunning 3-2 loss to Denmark in the semi-finals on Friday night.

The slow walk back from the court to meet the press could not have been the easiest he had to make but if he was upset, he did not show it.

Not even when some of the questions and tones were disrespectful.

“Of course I’m disappointed but this is sport, you win some you lose some,” said the former doubles ace.

“It is a bitter pill to swallow especially when you are hosting the tournament

“All the players are downcast but we accept our defeat as Denmark played much better, especially in the doubles.”

The soft-spoken coach has an interesting theory why Indonesia did not retained the Cup.

“There seems to be a jinx affecting the host countries in the new century,” he said.

“Malaysia and China both failed to make the final when they hosted the 2000 and 2002 Thomas Cup.

“That has happened again in Jakarta.

“I expect this trend to continue at the 2006 edition (in Japan).”

Christian said the doubles let them down. He knew if it came to the last singles between Simon Santoso and Peter Rasmussen, Indonesia would not make it.

Asked if his doubles line up was wrong, as he could have played Luluk Hadiyanto-Alven Yulianto in the first doubles, Christian answered: “I doubt the question would be raised had we won the tie.

“We played the best combinations available to us.”

But while Indonesia lost, both Christian and Danish coach Steen Pedersen praised the fans.

“The fans were fantastic even though they knew Simon did not stand a chance against Rasmussen.

“They kept cheering and behaved very well after we were defeated,” said Christian.

Pedersen, in praising the fans, also had a good word for the line judges.

“In all my years of coaching, this is the first time I have come across line judges who are impartial,” said Pedersen.

“As for the fans, I hope they support us in the final since our flags are almost the same colour.”

2. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

The article above is from Malay Mail.

Anyway, our Indonesian friends have proven to be a wonderful host, though they might not be in a hurry to bid for future ones :)

3. frictionman

frictionman Regular Member

Lawyer
    Congrats China!

Congratulations for winning the Thomas and Uber cup! your training and hardwork really paid off... :) :) You Chinese really set THE standard in badminton gameplay.

4. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student

5. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

I have only praise for the indon orgahisers.