Hugo's Introduction

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by Hugo, May 16, 2004.

1. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Okay, so many people have already made intros and I haven't yet. So here it goes.

My name's Hugo (my nick but everybody at school calls me by it) and I live in Alberta, Canada!! I'm in my final year of high school and looking to attend the University of Alberta next year.

I started playing badminton really late so the only thing I can still achieve in this sport is probably a title of "above-average" player in a mediocre club. In fact, I actually hated this sport back in junior high, for reasons which I still do not understand. In grade 9 however, I decided to just check out the school team's practices and oddly, started enjoying it. I've been playing the sport ever since and hope to play lots once I'm at University.

That year in grade 9 I decided to start checking out some badminton websites. I found the IBF (worldbadminton.net) page and developed interest in the professional Grand Prix circuit and the international players. I found this site (BF) by total luck as somebody posted the link in the IBF forum. I checked out this forum (back then it did not require registration) and fell in love immediately. Now, I come here daily to get my badminton tibits and can stay for upwards of hours, which sometimes annoys the parents, especially when I have exams the next day! :D This has become my favorite badminton site, and in fact, my favorite webpage of all. The only time I visit the IBF site now is when a GP tournament is occuring.

Up to now, the most dissapointing moment in international badminton for me occured in grade 10. That year, China played Malaysia in the Thomas Cup semi-finals. Yes.... everybody knows where this is going. I sat in computer class clicking and refreshing the score only to see China lose 3-1!! Today, I'm glad to say, I sat by my PC clicking and refreshing only to see China win 3-1!!!

Some of my baddy favorites:

MALE PLAYER: whichever Chinese player is dominating at the moment (it has switched between Chen Hong, Xia, Bao and Lin many times)

FEMALE PLAYER: whichever Chinese player is dominating at the moment (it has switched between Gong, Zhou, and Zhang N many times)

MALE DOUBLES: I can happily say it has switched to Sang/Zheng after today!!

FEMALE DOUBLES: Always has been Gao/Huang, ever since I first saw them play at Seville 2001 (on TV of course)

XD: Zhang/Gao but I have to say everybody must like Kim/Ra for their dominance.

Whew, that's all for now.