Backhand Overhead Clear - Not to wind in and out?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by BaddyBunny, Sep 21, 2015.

1. BaddyBunny

BaddyBunny Regular Member

Hi,
    I was watching Coach Lee's video on backhand clears and he said not to wind in and out since there is no time to wind in and out before hitting. But I see badminton videos on technique, how to do backhand clear, and just professional players that it seems like they do wind in and out before backhand overhead clearing.

May someone clarify for me? I am confused.

Said video here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8mpTEeYP-Y

2. visor

visor Regular Member

coach lee is unusual in that he has pretty massive forearms, unlike most of us... :) ... so he can get away with almost no wind up

however, for those of us with less than great forearm and shoulder power, we need to wind up a bit in order to get max power, eg. when clearing baseline to baseline backhand... even more so for females

3. BaddyBunny

BaddyBunny Regular Member

Thank you!

So, Coach Lee is wrong then and I SHOULD wind in and out? I can't seem to get my backhand clears across the middle of the other court :(.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

it should be a controlled backswing, not a wild mega one... search for some previous threads on backhand clears...

a few tips for more power:
    arm must be relaxed in preparation, racket foot must be planted just before strike, and there must be grip tightening into the strike

#4 visor, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  5. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I think its that vid that sorted my BH out. I just extend my arm and and pop it like Coach Lee does. As much as I can with my non-treetrunk arms.

6. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    No one can BH clear without having a take-back. I think what LJB is suggesting is to develop a more explosive action to generate greater racquet head acceleration rather than having a big swing. A lot of novices take an very big swing at the shuttle when clearing on the BH side. This is not the way to play it as it is inefficient and less consistent.

However a lot of weaker players, particularly women players still do this. I see a lot of professional women players who do not have the strength to clear on the BH side without taking a huge swing - you do compromise accuracy and consistency though.

I have a more compact swing on my BH side and personally I find I can generate quite a lot of power with it - so I do agree that you should try and train for a compact swing - it can also be more deceptive.

7. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I have just watched the video, and Lee is clearly saying that some weird wrist movement during the backswing is not a good idea. He shows the wrist flexing and the racket face rotating. I agree with Coach Lee on this rare occassion - most of his backhand teaching is useful and instructive, even if I do not like the way he explains everything.

You need to look again at what you think you are seeing - no professional players do that, and nobody who can hit a backhand clear does that, and no instructional video I have seen does that. Note: Lee is not saying to not have a backswing - he is warning against a ridiculous wrist movement that some players do a lot. The wrist should remain basically cocked throughout the motion, and will never enter wrist flexion.

I suggest you look more closely at the video - you are interpreting it wrongly.

Furthermore: If I am correct, you have been practising backhand clears for a few weeks now... how many hours of practice have you done on backhand alone? And how many of those hours was with a professional coach? How many hundreds of shuttles have you hit? Did you follow exactly the progressions in Coach Lees other video where he uses the racket head cover?

It is my opinion that you have probably not done the required amount of practice to develop the skill as it has been a very short time frame, especially if you do not have a coach. My backhand, for example, developed the requisite power to hit full court over several weeks of practice - but it was not dedicated practice with a coach. It has taken years to improve it so that I can successfully impart all my strength into every backhand with accuracy - but this is me refining my technique, rather than learning it.

I personally have taken beginners with no backhand to hitting full court clears in less than an hour, using something similar to Lee's racket head cover progression. I suggest you practice more - stop worrying about what is "wrong" and start practising what you know is right!

Good luck!