Proposal: One-Stop Guide to Naming Conventions?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Charlie-SWUK, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Titanium, Musclepower, Nanoray, Arcsaber, Voltric, Duora, Nanospeed, Onigiri, adiPower, adiZero, Li Ning 3D, Li Ning N, Li Ning 3D, Thruster, Jetspeed, Bravesword, Hypernano...

Mmm. Those names really don't mean a whole lot. Most of them are completely abstract and provide no context for the rackets.

If you want to try a new racket brand, it's a little confusing. I propose we work together to make a thread that summarizes as many of these abstract names as possible.

"NANORAY provides a fast and controlled swing with enhanced repulsion for players who force their opponents into the back of the court with extreme speed."

That's how Yonex describes the Nanoray line. Can BadmintonCentral do better at defining Nanoray? Perhaps make it a little more technical?

"Nanoray provide agile rackets that are very responsive to the user; they are designed to be easy to manoeuvre." ?

How about Bravesword?

It doesn't even have to describe the principles of the racket in playable sense, for example Li Ning has a few different lines such as 'N', '3D', and 'TF', but also has sub-categories, including 'Flame' and 'Woods'.

Li Ning 'N' could be described as:
    'Rackets designed for members of China's teams and players; N rackets often have high quality production. N does not signify any preference for play style, including flexibility or balance point.'

I think it'd be very helpful for anyone looking for a racket if this were available.

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

nanospeed, nanoray, bravesword - aeroframe

Voltric, thruster, musclepower - box frame

meteor, arcsaber - hybrid.

Also, none of this is naming conventions - there are no conventions here.

3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    It's impossible to describe a racket series. They have an attribute (which gaves the name), but mostly they all play different. Even a 3U and a 4U VTZF will play totally different, which is just a 5g difference.

Most people I know don't play a racket which tells you their player type and preferred strokes/tactics/strong areas.

Even in the some series you have some frame profile differences if you compare a midend and highend racket.

My advice: Forget any name. They follow mostly less to none logic. Preselect by stiffness, balance and weight and then demo.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

And then there's the Duora... ;)

5. visor

visor Regular Member

So true, I have 2 club mates who are low intermediates who have recently gotten themselves VTZF2 LD... well, just because they are LD's racket of choice. And in 3U too! :eek:

And so now their defense and drive is down the pits because of the head wt and stiffness, and I want to tell them why, but hate to spoil their honeymoon period.