Prevent Bad Odor While Playing

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Vishnu, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Vishnu

Vishnu Regular Member

Auditor
    I generally wear dry fit clothes while playing badminton and also apply deodorants before playing. But I sweat heavily while playing and a very bad body odor comes from my body. I am very uncomfortable playing because of the bad odor as my doubles partner comes closer to me while playing. I tried putting lots of talcum powder before playing but still not able to control the bad body odor. Can any one please suggest effective ways to stop the bad body odor while playing badminton

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Armpit antiperspirant.

Avoid onions, garlic, etc.

3. Porky

Porky Regular Member

Its the dryfit material shirt.....generally i would replace the shirt once i smell this odour....no matter how u wash or clean, the shirt when it's dry it doesnt smell, but once sweaty, the odour starts to come out.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Need to change shirts perhaps every game.

This might sound a bit extreme but if you are at the courts for a three hour session and you have a lot of sweat, you might even consider a very quick cold shower and a complete change of clothes in the middle of your session.

5. Vishnu

Vishnu Regular Member

Auditor
    May be changing of shirts is the only option left. I have tried everything else.

6. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Maybe try wearing other shirts (other material), normally fresh sweat does not smell.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Just to be sure, does this occur with brand new shirts?

8. Vishnu

Vishnu Regular Member

Auditor
    Yes it happens with brand new ones as well.

9. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    See your doctor, some issues are hormonal. They may be able to get you a medicated deodorant.

10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Second that. Fresh sweat is in general completely odorless (execpt you had smelly food like garlic, onions ect.). The typically bad sweat-smell is made by bacteria that grow on the skin or in the fabric and which are processing your sweat and end up producing smelly metabolic products. And since it needs some time until there are enough bacteria grown on your showered skin or in a freshly bought or washed shirt, it's practically impossible that this is the source of the instantly bad odor.

Go see a doctor and let him figure out the rootcause for your issue.

#10 s_mair, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  11. Vishnu

Vishnu Regular Member

Auditor
    Bad odor is not as a result of any medical condition and the same was also confirmed by a Dermatologist. One of possible reasons given is that I eat lot of garlic as a part of natural process to increase good Cholestrol. I would not discontinue eating garlic for the sake of reducing body odor. Garlic is one natural food which helps in reducing cholestrol. Eating garlic might create the bad odor coming out from my sweat. I have tried changing T shirts in between matches and it is working fine.

12. ein_roboter

ein_roboter Regular Member

Student
    Change T-shirts often, drink lots of water and towel yourself off during breaks/intervals. That will definitely do the trick.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Something else that can possibly help is to have a small towel. When you go to the changing room to change shirts, soak the towel with cold water and wipe off the sweat off the upper body. Rinse the towel and wipe again, wait a couple of minutes and then put on the clean T shirt.

Fair enough if you eat a lot of garlic. Playing more badminton will reduce cholesterol as well, right?:)

14. Vishnu

Vishnu Regular Member

Auditor
    Wiping the body with a cold towel is also a very good option. Also changing the T shirt only when the body is dry is a very effective way to beat Body Odor. Tks all for your suggestion, have fun and enjoy playing badminton

15. chiaki

chiaki Regular Member

Education
    if it smells bad midway while playing badminton, i'd say the shirt has bacteria resistant to regular washes. when i have this problem, i'd put my clothes in a bucket with capfuls of dettol disinfectant liquid and soak for 24-48 hours. after soaking i'd machine wash it. the smell of dettol is really strong; some people do not like that "hospital" smell. washing the soaked clothes a few times helps. for me, this fixes the issue of clothes that smell bad easily during exercise (tees, shorts, underwear).

I have come across trainees with the same problem even though they wear new shorts and tshirts, it turns out their undergarments harbors the bacteria and the bacteria quickly inhabits the new exercise clothes.

make sure your laundry bag is clean and the bag that you use to keep your used exercise clothes is clean.

i'm not expert, but the dettol soak seems to work for me and my trainees. or, it could be an issue with the smell of your perspiration that others may have suggested

16. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Has someone said you smell or might you be paranoid?
    I confess to putting more deodorant on whem playing mixed tham men's, I don't worry about sweat for men's ;)

Good luck.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Regarding shirt armpit, if it smells or stains with repeated wearing over time, I've found that spraying it with anything with hydrogen peroxide stain remover solution helps immensely... eg. OxiClean which I've found the best.

#17 visor, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  18. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i agree with the wiping of sweat, anything that can be wiped given off from your body is a good way to minimize the odor. hey, at least you are aware of it and are trying to be considerate to your partner! i give you props for that!!