Match between Lin Dan & Peter Gade

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cups 2004' started by jeffreyk, May 17, 2004.

1. jeffreyk

jeffreyk Regular Member

does anyone know what is going on during the game with regards to the changing of shuttles?

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Peter was asking for the shuttle to change and Lindan say no. It was pretty heated up.. both have a "stare" with each other. So they continue the point and Gade gave Lindan a thunderous Smash! Anyway few times in the match it happenes , and they have to ask the umpire to check the shuttle for change.

3. jeffreyk

jeffreyk Regular Member

I think its quite an unsportsmanship behaviour for refusing to change the shuttle on Lin Dan's part.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I don't think so;)

I've done it before (after the opponent refused to change shuttle).

It went a bit backward and forward (in terms of psychology). I asked to change the shuttle again (feather broken), the opponent refused. I showed the umpire the broken feather. She said it was OK to change the shuttle and gave a warning to the opponent!!! hehehe. I knew he wouldn't want to change the shuttle so he fell into my trap. :cool:

PS, I don't usually do this sort of thing though. :D

5. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

there ws so much tension btw the two right from the start.. in the early game 1, lin dan smashed right into peter's body and as usual, he raised his fist, only this time he was near the net and ws facing peter so seemed unfriendly (you usually apologize for smashing your rival's body).. lin dan ws warned by the umpire not to fist his opponent after scoring.. peter was visibly upset and stared at lin dan.. then it was peter's turn to score and he did the same by staring lin dan..

the game was furious and lin dan dived 3 or 4 times retrieving and each time, court has to be attended.. peter was nt satisfied and approached the umpire and raised 3 fingers indicating it has been 3 times the match ws delayed and lin dan's tactic of slowing the game.. the umpire sort of replied it ws lin dan's right to have the court attended if it's wet.. thn lin dan ws served a yellow card on another occassion for delaying the game...

in the early 2nd game, peter asked for change of shuttle whch ws denied by lin dan (huh, ths is rarely seen and honestly, i would prefer lin hd behaved little more gentlemanly, maybe he ws upset to wht peter has done earlier or maybe it ws his tactic)... peter raised the shuttle again bt lin dan disagreed so the shuttle ws shown to the umpire, and umpire called for play on... after 2 or 3 changed of serve, peter's request for change of shuttle was again denied by lin dan. peter ws mad and lin dan's antic almost back fired as it spruced up peter's fighting spirit.. peter had a smash of his life to lin dan's serve and scored.. there on, peter was much more agressive..

lin dan's request for change of shuttle ws also denied by peter bt ws allowed by the umpire.. peter complained sure it has to be changed as lin dan has purposely tempered the birdie.. the match ws so tensed and explosive.. and it's the 1st time seeing (after having watched their previous 2 encounters) tht both lin dan and peter wsnt 'friendly' at all.. honestly, i would prefer seeing lin dan without those antics, afterall, he could have won the game without them... anyway, its my 2cts and with no disrespect to both players....

6. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

man, both of them must have wanted to win really badly... maybe that's why Lin took off his shirt after he won- to tick off gade (Lin, don't take it as an offense or anything:( :D ). would have liked to see gade's face after he lost.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think it added to the atmosphere of the tie.

That sort of stuff would be seen less in ordinary tournaments. But the Thomas Cup? It shows how badly both wanted to win:)

8. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

base in Spore, heart at wherever Lin Dan n Xuanze
    Lin Dan took of his shirt spontanously after winning.... he didn't do it purposely to show Peter anything.... he was just simply too overjoyed n excited........

9. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

true, it sure heat up the atmosphere making it more interesting... do you see that look in lin dan's eyes when he won the 1st game and walked right to the net (too bad peter's expression wasnt shown)???

10. pyeap

pyeap Regular Member

yes, i fully agreed of that..even some realistic and reasonable phychology tactics are essential in badminton ( or i would say in sports), i would prefer both of them especially LIN to be more gentlemenly against his opponents..to be the world no. 1, to be d respecful world no. 1 is even better....

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I think between Lindan and Gade.. Gade is more of a true sportsmanship than Lindan. Not that Lin Dan is not.. just that gade is better.

Well i've experienced before these kind of situation. Even until the shuttle is rottened damaged and the opponent still don't want to change! Crazy... anyway the umpire gave them a warning and change the shuttle.

12. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I love this kind of psychological tricks, when it is called for. In a Thomas Cup final it's definitely called for. :p

However, I've never seen Gade get into this much before. Sure, he often shows irritation when opponents deliberately slow the game down, but he usually doesn't get involved to this extent in "gray area tactics". I love it though! It's not cheating, it's just part of the game to be used with discretion as it can backfire...

Jens Eriksen is the king of these tricks, but now it seems that Lin Dan is out for his throne... :D

13. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

There was a point where Gade had to show Lin the damaged shuttle and

practically pleaded with him,please.

Of course all this is psychology eg. Gong Rui Na not picking up the shuttle and things like that.

Sure gives impression of being "arrogant" but sportsmanlike behaviour of 80s is gone,pros play to win and in football etc commit professional fouls.

Taufik in fact is still of the old school and plays on without dubious tactics.

I think Sun Jun was famous for delaying tactics.

14. pyeap

pyeap Regular Member

sigh.....that where the "yellow card => a point deduction" implementation come to play....

not picking up the shuttle isn't too bad (as long as is in opponent's court).....but overruling d request of changing shuttles is something new and a bit wierd....

just wondering later on if "red card for disqualifying the players" would implement in the badminton game...hope not...

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's what a red card is for.

16. huijun

huijun Regular Member

engineer
    Yes! That is the reason why I like Indonesia players. They just try to play with thier best and don't use these dubious tactics in single and double games..... :)

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    from sunzhi's description, it sounded like the umpire agreed with Lin more than Peter. even given that the umpire is "fair". perhaps arguing whether Lin has a better basis for denying the shuttle change is totally missing the point of the psychological play. but shouldn't be disregarded if Lin did have a good reason for saying "no" to Peter's request.

what we haven't mentioned is that Lin Dan was totally unscafed when he was given the yellow card. other weak in mental strength may have bursted out like it was the end of the world (no names here... ;) ) but Lin, he just played on and i think he even won that rally. it was as if nothing has happened. that is mental strength. and also a message to Gade, "play as you wish, i am unmovable like a mountain."

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    just want to add. i think Lin Dan somewhat deserved the yellow card. even i noticed that he was delaying the game a little bit. i am not sure exactly why though. he wasn't tired (he certainly cannot be tired the way he accelerating during a rally), he wasn't playing poorly, he didn't need extra time. he was just strolling around the park taking his own sweet time.

so yes, he did seem to intentionally delay the game, but i don't understand the reason.

19. pyeap

pyeap Regular Member

to irritate the opponent perhaps...

20. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    How about Candra "Serving Too Early" Wijaya? :eek: :D