How to string again the cross string after I strung the racket completely?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by phanlinhkhuong, Oct 6, 2015.

1. phanlinhkhuong

phanlinhkhuong Regular Member

Badminton Shop Owner
    I saw my friend do it many times but I can't know how. First I strung the racket with yonex style. After that he cut the cross string (at the top end) then used it to strung again by Victor style (I guess)

The question is How on earth can he do that? Please show me how. I really appreciate.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    why don't u ask your friend.

and then come tell us :)

3. phanlinhkhuong

Badminton Shop Owner
    [MENTION=1]kwun[/MENTION] sorry, he doesn't want to teach me that trick.

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

First of all: What should be the use of this "trick"? :confused:

5. phanlinhkhuong

Badminton Shop Owner
    [MENTION=113405]s_mair[/MENTION] many uses. You can restring the tension you want, your string pattern was wrong => restring, your strings break before you complete the job. Because of many reasons I believe this trick is very useful.

6. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

So it's only useful when you mess up...? Either getting the tension wrong, doing the wrong pattern or the string snapping while doing 2pc... :p

7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I still don't get this at all. How on earth (and why?) would you turn a 2-piece Yonex-style job into a 1-piece Victor-style (unless you are Lord Voldemort or maybe Master Yoda...). I know that cutting works well with strings whereas welding seems to be much more complicated. :confused:

And if you mess up a 2-piece stringjob while doing the cross strings, then why don't you just start with the crosses once more?

8. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    This is clearly a substandard practice and I don't know why you would even want to do this.

I don't know how this seems to be a problem to figure out either unless I'm misunderstanding the situation.

String 2pc, when you're done, take out the crosses and do it again. The only reason you would do this is to prestretch the strings more, and you could totally do it by pulling the strings twice each time.

There is a method that is sometimes used by amateur stringers to string polyester strings on a tennis racket that involves stringing a racket at a very high tension using starting clamps, let it sit on the machine overnight for it to stretch and then restring the same strings at a much lower tension. Maybe that's what he's trying to do ?

9. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO this is something weird practice.

1st: If I string a racket, the payment for my time is much higher than the costs of string. So why should I recycle string in a strange way like that and string the same racket twice? Makes no sense to me.

2nd: If you messed up a job, which can happen rarely to good stringers, you cut all the strings and begin with a new set. It's my fault and if I learned my lesson, I will be more focused for next time. No customer should get a "fresh" job with strings which should be put in the bin. For myself I sometimes string my own rackets and only my own rackets, drunk, when I come home at night and can't sleep. And even in this situation is hard for me to mess up a job.

3rd: Your racket shouldn't stay with undone crosses for too long. For me a no-go. Especially at current tensions.

4th: If you cut strings you cut all of them in one quick action to be safe with the racket.

After all a set of strings is around 5-8USD. A highend racket costs 150USD+. So why on earth should somebody take this risk?
    All in all it could only be bad practice. A stringer who do this is IME a mock stringer with a bad life hack. No good to great stringer would do this on earth.

#9 ucantseeme, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Seriously? You come home late at night loaded and think to yourself "Hey, why don't I just string one of my rackets?". That is hilarious! :D

Have you noticed any corellations between the resulting ping frequency and the number of beers you had before? :rolleyes:

11. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Sure. After I had some Vodka Lemon or some Beers I come home and think, why the heck don't you string a racket? I always have 1-2 empty frames or a job which dropped too much IMO.
    Normally It goes like this: I come drunken home and start to cook a quick meal and drink an "Absacker" Then I think "Ok, you are not tired, I have seen all good movies, TV program is boring... Let's watch TAAHM the 9000th time and string a racket. Even Haribito goes save. Pretty common Friday or Saturday night.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

You, my friend, need to find a girl friend...

13. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

... Oh yes... and urgently!

My wife would call a brain doctor or directly get me locked away if she found me stringing rackets in the middle of the night... drunk...

On the other hand - if you should ever consider shooting a stringing tutorial video, the please please please do this at one of these special occasions. That has the potential to become the world's most entertaining stringing video!

14. dsmbooster

dsmbooster Regular Member

financial analyst
    YOU' CONFUSED US, to be a good stringer, the job must be done at accuratly set tension , in shortest time, straight vertical and horizontal strings (eliminate tentiosn drops). many uses you described is not logical , because without your friend's technique, other stringers also achieved require accurate tensions, without "wrong pattern" or "string break" due to high tension stringing, I doubt your friend can play with 30x33 lbs, which many people here can without breakage, you should learn proper stringing technique, and forget about this trick because it's do more harm than good,